Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Try a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear, lay on your side with that ear up and let it bubble until it stops, then pour it out.
According to my ENT, that is not a good remedy. It destroys skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Peroxide that you get at the supermarket or in the regular aisles of the pharmacy is diluted to a safe level. However, I wouldn't recommend pouring it into the ear. It's great for cleaning the _outer_ ear, everything that's visible (if you used an angled mirror to see your ear, that is).

Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I've been doing it for years. It helps with migraine too, sometimes. I use it on my kids too and the pediatrician said that it probably wouldn't do any good, but that it wouldn't cause any harm either.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
It might dehydrate skin but it does not destroy it unless the concentration is too high. The best thing to do would buy some food grade hydrogen peroxide and dilute it with distilled water to about a 3 percent concentration and then put a few drops into the ear. The hydrogen peroxide you by at Walmart has chemical ingredients that I would not recommend putting INTO the body.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:
I believe it cuts off oxygen?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've been doing it for years. It helps with migraine too, sometimes. I use it on my kids too and the pediatrician said that it probably wouldn't do any good, but that it wouldn't cause any harm either.
Probably will not hurt my kids is not good enough for me especially when it involves hearing.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I believe it cuts off oxygen?
No actually it CREATES oxygen, hence the fizzy, bubbling. Hydrogen peroxide is h202 and when it comes into contact with germs/bacteria, etc., it oxygenates the tissue, killing the bad germs and breaks down into water and oxygen. Completely harmless. The only bad stuff is the preservatives and other junk that they put in WITH it. That's why food grade is the way to go.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Quote:
Warm olive oil is harmless unless the ear drum is punctured. My ENT recommended it as a pain reliever while I was waiting for an infection to clear.
the old folks used to call it "sweet oil" they would put it on a ball of cotton and put it in your ear over night or all day.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No actually it CREATES oxygen, hence the fizzy, bubbling. Hydrogen peroxide is h202 and when it comes into contact with germs/bacteria, etc., it oxygenates the tissue, killing the bad germs and breaks down into water and oxygen. Completely harmless. The only bad stuff is the preservatives and other junk that they put in WITH it. That's why food grade is the way to go.

20yrsinBranson
Incorrect. Hydrogen peroxide is a form of bleach. Whether pure or diluted, it's still bleach. Back in the 60's and 70's people who used it on their hair were called peroxide blondes.

It is not only not "completely harmless", but it can be extremely dangerous if ingested in large amounts, and can cause permanent cellular damage to the skin and mucous membranes if used (or the vapors inhaled) in high enough concentrations.

Peroxide that you get in the supermarket is appropriately used for mouthwash/gargle, topical cleansing of surface cuts and scrapes, getting blood stains out of white clothes (not colored clothes since it is BLEACH), and softening ear wax for removal in parts of the ear visible via a normal angled dental mirror (meaning, however deep you can reach with the tip of your pinky wrapped with a peroxide-moistened bit of cotton), and similar.

Peroxide in the supermarkets is typically a 3% solution diluted with demineralized water. There are no other "ingredients" in the usual supermarket bottle of peroxide.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Peroxide in the supermarkets is typically a 3% solution diluted with demineralized water. There are no other "ingredients" in the usual supermarket bottle of peroxide.
From: Food Grade vs Technical Grade Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 ...h2o2-4u, Clyde Co-op, frad-35, hydrogen peroxide, h2o2, hydrogen peroxide therapy, food grade hydrogen peroxide, ozone, oxy, ozonated, ozone, ozone, ozanation, cryptosporidium, peroxide, bacteri

3% Hydrogen Peroxide (Drug/Grocery Store Variety)
Used as antimicrobial agent for treating wounds and sanitizing agent
[Made from 50% Super D Peroxide, Diluted. Contains stabilizers - phenol, acetanilide, sodium stanate, tetrasodium phosphate among them.]
[This peroxide contains known chemicals do not ingest!]

FROM THE MSDS SHEET FOR 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE....

11. Toxicological Information

--------\Cancer Lists\------------------------------------------------------
---NTP Carcinogen---
Ingredient Known Anticipated IARC Category
------------------------------------ ----- ----------- -------------
Hydrogen Peroxide (7722-84-1) No No 3
Phenacetin (62-44-2) No Yes 2A
Water (7732-18-5) No No None

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine