Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:53 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
Tell you something...I don't think MT in all spas are licensed.

I had an experience where a Chinese lady offered "Happy Hour". I politely replied no and I know of individuals who still go to these spas just for "happy" hours.

Hence to your suggestion NY, NJ and CT suck with all these cheap spas.

Where I live, they are referred to as happy endings. These places are not legit and are being closed down if caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Unfortunately, having a LICENSE doesn't make a person a good therapist. It merely proves the person is capable of passing a test. I've had many crappy massages from LICENSED therapists, and some excellent massages and bodywork form people who fly under the radar so to speak. Point is...you can't judge the therapist by wether or not they have a license. You gotta use common sense and ask around. Someone you know proabaly has a great therapist, licensed or unlicensed.

blessings...Franco
I'm licensed but I know of a couple of people who are not and give awesome massages.
As long as someone knows a little something of anatomy and knows of areas to avoid, such as the spine and kidney area, if you can trust them, go for it. I have been also to therapists who are licensed and my thought is, Where the **** did you go to school?
My advice is to ask around.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Where I live, they are referred to as happy endings. These places are not legit and are being closed down if caught.
You can usually tell what is or is not legitimate. Licensed massage therapists usually advertise their services and are very open as to their credentials, office location and hours etc. They are often members of professional massage associations and sometimes have a website.

Here are some warning signs that a "spa" may not be legitimate.

1) Their only advertisement is under the "personals" section of the newspaper.
2) They are reluctant to reveal their business address and insist on an appointment before revealing where they are.
3) They have a generic name like "Andover Therapy"
4) You drive by a strip mall with several businesses. One of them says something about "massage". The entrance is around the back or at the side of the building. When you approach the door, you notice the windows are all shaded, the door is locked and there is a sign to press the doorbell. An elderly Chinese woman pokes her head out the door and whispers that a massage is $65. At that point it is best to say thank you and be on your way.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Unfortunately, going to a a licensed massage therapist is no guarantee that the massage won't result in a happy ending, but it does improve your chances of getting a legitimate massage. Wether or not you get a good massage or a poor one depends on the person giving the massage, licensed or unlicensed.

blessings...Franco

Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
You can usually tell what is or is not legitimate. Licensed massage therapists usually advertise their services and are very open as to their credentials, office location and hours etc. They are often members of professional massage associations and sometimes have a website.

Here are some warning signs that a "spa" may not be legitimate.

1) Their only advertisement is under the "personals" section of the newspaper.
2) They are reluctant to reveal their business address and insist on an appointment before revealing where they are.
3) They have a generic name like "Andover Therapy"
4) You drive by a strip mall with several businesses. One of them says something about "massage". The entrance is around the back or at the side of the building. When you approach the door, you notice the windows are all shaded, the door is locked and there is a sign to press the doorbell. An elderly Chinese woman pokes her head out the door and whispers that a massage is $65. At that point it is best to say thank you and be on your way.
You said it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine