U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 AM

58 posts, read 201,934 times

Advertisements

Tea tree oil is great for so many things! My daughter had a ringworm one time and we treated it topically with tea tree oil - the ringworm was gone in about a week. I also use it on my skin for keratosis pilaris. Anybody else use tea tree oil?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM

13,253 posts, read 39,185,644 times
I keep a bottle of tea tree in the kitchen cabinet, and use it as a general first aid antisceptic for all cuts, scratches, broken blisters, and slivers.

Tea tree is also a great disenfectant for non-enamelled surfaces (such as granite countertops). Definitely do -not- use it on anything coated with enamel, plastic, or shellac. And always dilute it if you're using it on surfaces. Conversely, don't dilute it if you're using it on your skin.

Also, ringworm isn't a singular thing. It's a fungus, not a worm. So you don't get "a ringworm." You have ringworm. It's a misnomer. Athlete's Foot is ringworm affecting the feet, and Jock Itch is ringworm affecting the groin.

For keratosis pilaris I wouldn't recommend tea tree, since it has nothing in it to treat hereditary skin conditions exacerbated by dry cold air. Your best bet for that, is to be appropriately hydrated internally (drink enough water), and keep the affected skin moisturized with a non-petroleum moisturizer. Carrier oils such as shea butter, jojoba, and olive oil are helpful, and essential oils of sandalwood, lavender, and myrrh can also help. Other ingredients such as chamomile oil, bee balm (true Melissa), and comfrey are soothing if the bumps are irritated and start to itch.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 PM

20 posts, read 37,131 times
We always keep some in the house. I introduced it to my neighbor when her daughter had athlete's foot. She keeps a small stock in her house now as well.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 PM

910 posts, read 2,029,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather.lynn1022 View Post
Tea tree oil is great for so many things! My daughter had a ringworm one time and we treated it topically with tea tree oil - the ringworm was gone in about a week. I also use it on my skin for keratosis pilaris. Anybody else use tea tree oil?
I ran out of TTO some time ago but I used it for many things, it's very good to have at home so maybe next time I order supplements I'll remember to get some more.

As to the keratosis pilaris, it sounds like something I had on my legs when I was about 11-12 and it went away after taking a Vitamin A supplement a doctor prescribed for me (it had 50,000 IU). I got something like it again when I was 34 after taking a prescription medication, it looked as if all my skin hairs (which are very fine) had become ingrown, it's like all my pores closed up too, I even got a ton of blackheads in my face (which turned into full-blown case of ordinary acne after I went to get a facial cleaning so I had to go to a dematologist for help. I thought I was going to have scars left but I think the supplements I took (which included Vit. E) and careful exfoliation prevented it from happening and after that my skin was beautiful again.

A lot of people don't know that Vit. A is essential for healthy skin and eyes, and a lot of people just don't get enough from their diet, and even if you were at this point the usual MDR of 5,000 IU would just be a drop in a bucket, besides, each person's need for any nutrient could be different as such things are influenced no only by genetics but by many external/environmental factors. Vit. E prevents Vit. A from being destroyed and also has many wonderful properties of its own so I've taken it almost continuously for maybe 40 years.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM

87,854 posts, read 81,615,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post

As to the keratosis pilaris, it sounds like something I had on my legs when I was about 11-12 and it went away after taking a Vitamin A supplement a doctor prescribed for me (it had 50,000 IU).

A lot of people don't know that Vit. A is essential for healthy skin and eyes, and a lot of people just don't get enough from their diet, and even if you were at this point the usual MDR of 5,000 IU would just be a drop in a bucket, besides, each person's need for any nutrient could be different as such things are influenced no only by genetics but by many external/environmental factors. Vit. E prevents Vit. A from being destroyed and also has many wonderful properties of its own so I've taken it almost continuously for maybe 40 years.
Where do you find a doctor who prescribes vitamins or supplements?? The only way I've found one of those is by going off insurance and paying a non-insurance doc out of pocket. Are there good doctors, "real" doctors on the insurance rolls? I've had a terrible time finding anyone competent.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,641,470 times
It is my no. 1 treatment for everything.

The other day I washed my floors with it - just a dribble in a bucket of hot water.

You can remove stickers, ink and chewing gum with it.

I put it straight on pimples and athletes foot. Very effective on sweat pimples.

A drop in a footbath to deodorise your feet.

I used to have that keratosis pilaris until I got my chemist to whip me up a 5% salycylic acid cream. Cleared it like magic after suffering for years. Tea tree wont help KP but sal acid is awesome.

Another gift from the Australian bush is paw paw ointment. Awesome stuff.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 AM

910 posts, read 2,029,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where do you find a doctor who prescribes vitamins or supplements?? The only way I've found one of those is by going off insurance and paying a non-insurance doc out of pocket. Are there good doctors, "real" doctors on the insurance rolls? I've had a terrible time finding anyone competent.
In reality that was in another country and many years ago... However, I learned years ago that in the U.S. osteopathic doctors, which are in many people's insurance plans, very often prescribe supplements; when I lived in S. FL and had insurance my GP was actually an O.D. who had a fair knowledge of supplements. If there's one in your insurance plan you could try asking the secretary if you could briefly speak to him or e-mail him, or perhaps she/he could inform you if he's the type of doc you're looking for. Also, there are insurance plans that include chiropractors and most of them also have a vast knowledge about supplements, they may not be able to "prescribe" them (some strengths do require prescriptions) but I'm sure they can make some good recommendations.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 AM

10,142 posts, read 18,595,360 times
I love TTO and use it for many things, though I have actually cut back in recent years after I found some even better alternatives. One thing I have used it for is to clear up minor skin infections but I've found oil of oregano to be better for that--it starts to work almost right away. I used to use TTO for bug bites and I have terrible problems if I get tick bites--they can stick around and itch forever and TTO shortened that time, but the homemade salve I make from garden plaintain and comfrey shortens the healing time even more. Also I used to get itchy ears and I put TTO in and it did help but it's too harsh for ears and a doc told me to use a mix of 50/50 vinegar and rubbing alcohol in my ears and this really is best. Somehow the vinegar neutralizes the alcohol into something more gentle and the doc told me that it's the only thing you should put in your ears.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,729,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Our GP does recommend certain vitamins, herbs and supplements - all natural things - rather than typical prescriptions. Of course our insurance doesn't pay for them. My husband is having a little bit of a cholesterol problem - our GP recommended red rice yeast from our local apothecary store. She is completely supportive of us using natural remedies and certain herbs and even seeing the occasional alternative medicine practitioner.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 AM

1 posts, read 11,776 times
Default tea tree oil

Now you mention I am also using tea tree oil for my daughter. It is truly very helpful in removing ringworms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine