Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,719 times

Advertisements

My Dad used to get these all the time. My experience was last winter with my 24 yr old daughter. She had fallen outside of a nightclub and had several cuts on her legs which she did not clean right away. I was not told until a week or so later when she go what she thought was a pimple on her inner thigh with a head. She decided to pop it, and it ended up being a boil. It was big, and it oozed for weeks. I cleaned it twice a day with antibacterial soap and loaded it with Neosporin and clean gauze. It healed nicely, but I warned her to never pop anything like that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Another info site:

Learning about MRSA: A guide for Patients - Minnesota Dept. of Health

Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
My Dad used to get these all the time. My experience was last winter with my 24 yr old daughter. She had fallen outside of a nightclub and had several cuts on her legs which she did not clean right away. I was not told until a week or so later when she go what she thought was a pimple on her inner thigh with a head. She decided to pop it, and it ended up being a boil. It was big, and it oozed for weeks. I cleaned it twice a day with antibacterial soap and loaded it with Neosporin and clean gauze. It healed nicely, but I warned her to never pop anything like that again.

Goodness that's horrible, I had two boils on my inner thighs and they kept growing until it was unbearable to walk. I had to bust them, and I pushed all of that pus and blood out until there was no more left in the wound, then I cleaned the wound and aired out.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You know, I'm not sure that keeping her clean is as important as making sure she has good intestinal flora. If you think about it, the human race has been around a long time--long before daily showers and anti-bacterial soaps came into fashion. One way that we're really unbalanced though and more studies are verifying this, is in our gut bacteria and your dd will be more unbalanced now after her bout with antibiotics. You may want to get her a good probiotic to get her bacteria more in balance and there are several foods that can help too, like kefir and yogurt. There is a lot of talk going around too that antibacterial stuff is causing these superbugs. I actually don't know if you use those but thought I'd mention it for others sakes.

i'll have to look into kefir, i think i've heard about it but not sure. it sounds familiar. thank you

Old 02-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

thank you for providing some info

Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
thank you i will. i'm a bit of a worry wart, but i'm trying not to be. i will get some herbs in my home as well, and keep my baby cleany clean!
Seeking, it is not BAD to be a worry wart. Like Stepka said too though....don't go all out on constantly steriizing yourself or your home. Our immune systems are supposed to fight battles, unfortunately, our eating habits and over-cleanliness is wreaking havoc on humans. If you have antibacterial dish soap in the house, throw it away. If you have antibacterial handwash, throw it away.

Soap and water are more than ample for cleaning. The GB hand sanitizer is kept in the home and in my purse, so that I can use it when I'm going shopping or have dry skin or nicks and cuts on my hands. Our skin is a fabulous barrier. Unfortunately, if our immune system is compromised or weakend, we can even get infected hair follicles.

Stepka mentioned probiotics....but here's another one for you. Do not allow your child to eat pudding. My daughter was buying pudding snacks and other processed "fun" stuff for her son's lunches. Every time we turned around, that boy was getting sick. I badgered her into switching over to yogurt. Guess what? Not only does that little guy LOVE it, but he's not getting sick with everything the other kids are bringing to daycare and preschool! Also, his daily "candy" treats....they're actually vitamin C w/zinc lozenges. He doesn't know the difference and thinks he's actually getting candy.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:31 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,552 times
I had a boil but I treated it myself. I used Oil of Oregano orally.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:33 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
Beachmel's advice here is really good. I hope everybody is paying attention.

My FIRST thought, at the beginning of this thread, was that there is an underlying weakness in the child's immune system.

We can become immunosuppressed through sugar poisoning, through exhaustion/lack of sleep, through exposure to harmful substances, by thermal stress (too hot or too cold), through malnutrition, as a side-effect of medications, or as a result of extreme emotional stress.

Here, I think it was as simple as too much sugar at Paw Paw's house, plus being exposed to staph. No biggie. I hardly think that 'spiritual'/symbolic schmegegge about 'repressed rage' is relevant here.

Now is a great opportunity for a young mom to step back and evaluate the family's lifestyle, from a health standpoint. Locating your community's Organic Food Co-op is a good way to start. Here's one near you that looks legit: Anner?s Pantry: Tulsa?s Best Organic Food Co-op and Market A Co-op is important, because it's non-profit, and thus its end goal is not about money. Co-ops are centers for communities of gentle, enlightened people (ok, and assorted nuts & flakes... but that's part of the charm...). And the supplements/vitamins co-ops carry tend to be made in America and not in countries notorious for corruption and contaminated products. Too, the prices for bulk spices tend to be astonishingly low. The co-op will invariably have a resident expert on herbs/vitamins/supplements. If you'd been a regular, you would have already consulted that expert, who would have told you pretty-much what Beachmel has said, and taken you straight to the plant products mentioned.

Then, on to addressing possible problems in your diet/lifestyle:

Start with sugar, because this seems to be the culprit. I once read a breakdown of how much sugar equals how much compromise to the immune system. The damage adds up fast. I forget how many teaspoons was the threshold, but it was about the amount of sugar someone swilling 2-liter bottles of soda and eating pizza & candy would consume, one's immune system is essentially gone (at which point, you're in the same boat as chemotherapy patients and AIDS victims).

The average American consumes 22 teaspoons of added sugar a day, anyway. That amount has been shown to significantly suppress the immune system. Sugar is hidden in virtually all processed foods. Now is the time to learn all the code words for sugar on food labels (look it up... but most of them end in 'ose'... sucrose, maltose, dextrose...). Now is the time to go for the 'natural' peanut butter without sweeteners. Now is the time to start making your own pasta sauces from scratch (the kind you buy are dangerously laden with sugar...might as well be eating jelly).

And, I guess, the next issue would be possible malnutrition. I grew up malnourished, because we were poor. It made me dumpy and ugly. (luckily, I corrected that as soon as I got to college, at 17) But many affluent households are nutrient-deprived. A glance into the typical grocery cart loaded with expensive processed foods, and just hearing the totals people are paying... "That will be one hundred twenty nine Dollars, maam...", tells me some people pay a fortune to deprive themselves of good food.
Cutting to the chase, I'd get in the habit of going to Tulsa's Farmer's Market(s). Here's one: Our History « Cherry Street Farmers Market | Authentic Oklahoma Products & Produce Looks like a good one. If it's anything like the world-class farmer's market on the old Courthouse Square in nearby Fayetteville, Arkansas, you'll be astonished by the quality and variety. And obviously, such places are wonderful for going to as a family. I also notice that the health foods co-op I linked to sells bags of mixed produce. These sources (or, if finances are tight, the produce section of the big box grocery) need to be the primary source for what goes onto your table.

Fresh fruits & vegetables, steamed, poached, blanched, or raw, are the way to go. We raised three gorgeous kids that way, and used nutrition to take our own bodies from 'hideous' to 'fit'. And really, it's so easy. I don't see any difference in level of effort or difficulty between the way health food types cook and the way 'normal' people do. Please forgive, if I'm assuming you don't eat this way, but you already do. Virtually nobody does.

And learning to cook whole grains is an economical way to get nutrients into the diet. Even when we were rolling pennies to buy food (making the payments on our first few apartment buildings was a challenge, some months), we could afford Rolled Oats, Raw Buckwheat, Millet, Lentils... (bought in bulk at our local co-op) We'd have a big stockpot on the stove, filled with a mixture of legumes & grains, whatever vegetables we could afford, and herbs/spices. (Actually, we still do) And we'd have toast made from multi-grain breads. Whole grains, properly prepared, have a vitamin/nutrient/phytochemical profile which actually equals that of most fresh fruits and vegetables. Again, please forgive me, if I'm preaching to the choir.

And on to harmful substances: I'm not talking about booze, tobacco, and drugs, here (although those definitely do cause enormous harm to those affected by them). Something as simple as 'conventional' air fresheners can adversely affect health. Artificial fragrances mimic hormones and do all sorts of mischief. Enzymes in detergents can reprogram the immune system. Solvents in paints, and outgassing by synthetic substances can knock out the immune system (in a tightly-sealed modern home). It's pretty easy to eliminate the air fresheners, the enzyme detergents, etc. Harder to do is to avoid having kids play on grass recently treated with the now-common chemical soups dispensed from those pretty trucks - soups containing herbicides and pesticides. Pesticides in the home are possible immunosuppressants, too. Going natural in this area is a bit more effort.

As to the specific emergency here (and a boil definitely IS an emergency...because it's the tip of a scary iceberg lurking beneath the surface), I'd personally go to whoever could prescribe antibiotics, IMMEDIATELY. Every hour counts. You did right, seeking conventional medications, ASAP. And I'm impressed that you know that there is a systemic component to the problem, which conventional medicine would not address: that's why you're asking about Holistic remedies.

Our kids started a landscape service when in their teens. They love heat and sunshine. But one son got heat-stressed, and developed a boil. I ordered him into bed, and started peeling navel oranges for him, juicing carrots, Ginger, garlic, and parsley... At the same time, he was taking Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, Vitamin E, zinc losenges & Bioflavonoids. The idea was to flood the body with the building blocks for its own defense against the invading staph infection. We also got him a 'conventional' antibiotic within hours of 'discovery', and took him to have the thing lanced, at the appropriate time. The scar is nearly invisible.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 PM

35 posts, read 68,936 times
Default This is something different

Hi
to all you ladies, this is something different, if this is ok? My great niece, was rushed to the Children's Hospital in L.A. for emergency brain surgery. I don't know anything yet. She had an infection, and it went to her brain. Please say a prayer!

Thank you all!
shecat

Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Shecat....saying prayers for your great niece and all of her family as well!!!!

GrandviewGloria....Amen! You just keep on preaching it! No one wants to be sick..and parents want the absolute best for their children. If only everyone would get educated and FOLLOW your advice, we could eliminate so much sickness and so very much heartache and suffering.

What most folks don't really understand is this: When processed sugar first came on the scene, it was mainly the wealthy, who could afford it, in large quantities. THEY could also afford doctors, who were able to do nothing, really, to heal these people. All they could do was treat symptoms. The common folks still relied upon old-fashioned home remedies and actually ate healthier.

In today's world, things have gotten really screwed up. The wealthier folks are able to "afford" healthier foods and the most poor...well, they're feeding their family foods which are nothing but sugar and chemicals, because THAT is what's affordable. Pasta, white rice and white potatoes are nothing but starch, which converts to sugars in the body. Add to that all of the actual processed sugars we're consuming.....UGH!

We don't mean to be alarmists here, but this is factual stuff. Change our diets and we SAVE money and lives! You spend less at the doctors' offices, less on medicine, less time out from work for sickness, etc. It's TOUGH, changing a diet, but once you get into the habit....a little at a time, it is SO worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine