Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

By any chance had you started any new prescription drugs? Some can cause a cough (eg: quinapril).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
By any chance had you started any new prescription drugs? Some can cause a cough (eg: quinapril).
Nope.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
So you think a chronic cough is nothing to be concerned about? You're the one who has no clue what they're talking about.

He did not post his age (only 21) and no one here can read his mind over the internet.

Insensitive? When a potentially fatal disease may be involved, the persons age unknown, the truth should needs to be told to make sure they take action.
What is "insensitive" is jumping to ridiculous conclusions without knowing ANY of the particulars...

YOU are the one who posted your dad a "similar problem"....your words.....how can it be similar when you don't have a clue about the particulars????

Cancer??

A 21 year old non smoker with a cough for a month??? The poster stated the cough started around the first of the year, it is now the 2nd week of February.

By definition, a cough isn't considered "chronic" unless it has lasted 8 weeks or more.

I think its pretty clear who doesn't know what they are talking about here....

Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What is "insensitive" is jumping to ridiculous conclusions without knowing ANY of the particulars...
I can only go by what he wrote. No one jumped to ridiculous conclusions but YOU! Try rereading his original post.

Quote:
YOU are the one who posted your dad a "similar problem"....your words.....how can it be similar when you don't have a clue about the particulars????

Cancer??
Yes, cancer. He didn't say he was only 21 yrs old, so stop trying to make more of it than it is. Try rereading his original post.

And yes, there are infants born with cancer. Do some research.

Quote:
A 21 year old non smoker with a cough for a month??? The poster stated the cough started around the first of the year, it is now the 2nd week of February.
Where in his original post did he give his age?

Quote:
By definition, a cough isn't considered "chronic" unless it has lasted 8 weeks or more.

I think its pretty clear who doesn't know what they are talking about here....
You will try and discredit anyone exposing quacks. That's common practice for those against the legitimate medical field.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I can only go by what he wrote. No one jumped to ridiculous conclusions but YOU! Try rereading his original post.

Yes, cancer. He didn't say he was only 21 yrs old, so stop trying to make more of it than it is. Try rereading his original post.

And yes, there are infants born with cancer. Do some research.

Where in his original post did he give his age?

You will try and discredit anyone exposing quacks. That's common practice for those against the legitimate medical field.
1. Right, saying someone might have lung cancer based on the information of a "cough for 3-4 weeks" isn't jumping to conclusions at all

2. Again, I did read his/her original post. Did you??? Are babies born with lung cancer???? Do some research..

3. How is what you did exposing quacks???? Making a ridiculous assumption based on little to no information giving the worst possible scenario in terms of differential diagnosis???
Makes YOU a quack....

Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Here's the deal. I've already been to the doctor 3 times since the beginning of this year for this annoying cough. First time I got antibiotics that lasted 4 days which didn't work. Then I got prescribed a different medicine from the 2nd visit along with Nasonex nasal spray, which didn't work enough. Then the third time I got prescribed Neilmed Sinus Rinse and the same medicine from the 2nd visit.

My nose was dry from before I got prescribed the sinus rinse and now it's no longer dry, but I STILL have this annoying cough. It's not frequent but it's still annoying because I can only drink hot drinks, cold or even warm drinks will make me cough.

Should I go again to the clinic and wait another 3-4 hours to see the doctor or should I go buy some Robitussin? I'm sure this was post nasal drip that involved my dry nose, but now that it's not dry anymore, could regular store medicine like Robitussin get rid of the cough?
Since you're on an "alternative medicine" thread....may I suggest that you try Mullein tea?

Mullein, a common wild plant indigenous to the United States, has cough suppressant and expectorant properties, states Drugs.com, that make the herb beneficial for treating chronic coughs and sore throat. Mullein tea is the most popular form of using mullein to treat chronic coughs. You can buy mullein tea from a health food store or online herbal retailer, or you can make mullein tea at home by placing 1 tsp. of dried mullein leaves into hot water for approximately 30 minutes, then strain the tea and drink the cool mixture two to three times per day

The first red flag that shows up for me is this statement...First time I got antibiotics that lasted 4 days which didn't work. What caused the doctor to give you an antibiotic, in the first place? Did he/she have EVIDENCE that you had some sort of "infection", which would require an antibiotic!?

Sadly, this is just one more incidence where they're possibly treating a harmless scratch with surgery! As a wise poster said, if you're going to go to the doctor, DEMAND answers. Don't just go into the office without your own documentation of the progression of events and how therapies have worked thus far.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
If it was me, unless I had a fever or other alarming symptoms, I wouldn't sit for 3 hours in a clinic for a cough. People get coughs. Give your body a chance to heal itself.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:59 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If it was me, unless I had a fever or other alarming symptoms, I wouldn't sit for 3 hours in a clinic for a cough. People get coughs. Give your body a chance to heal itself.
Yes I agree with this too. OP, what other things have you done on your own to treat the cough? Are you eating right and getting enough sleep? I'm asking b/c of your young age--I know a lot of young people burn the candle at both ends and don't always eat right, and sleep is extremely healing. I had a lingering cough last year and stopped to realize that I wasn't getting enough sleep and made it a point to get to bed earlier every night that week and by the end of the week the cough was gone.

I like the mullein idea too beachmel--I've used it before. I pick the yellow flowers in the summer and dry them and put them in a mixture of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 alcohol for the ears. Believe it or not, a regular med dr. told me about the alcohol/vinegar and the mullein idea I got from a book and it's supposed to be good for your ears. Mullein is a cool plant too--you can see it from a mile away b/c it's so tall and fuzzy.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,872 times
Yes I am sleeping and eating right and that doesn't seem to be helping the problem. I don't know much about antibiotics, but I just saw it as medicine that would get rid of my cough. I didn't know they were for "infections". I don't know if it's necessary to admit, but I didn't take the antibiotics the way I was supposed to. I was supposed to take them at the same time everyday, but I took them the rest of the 3 days at a different time than the first day (but the remaining 3 days at the same time) because I was at work. I realize now that was a dumb decision because I could have easily had 1 in my pocket and took it quickly.

Do you think the improper use of the first antibiotics are the reason I still have the cough? Should I let the doctor know?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Yes I am sleeping and eating right and that doesn't seem to be helping the problem. I don't know much about antibiotics, but I just saw it as medicine that would get rid of my cough. I didn't know they were for "infections". I don't know if it's necessary to admit, but I didn't take the antibiotics the way I was supposed to. I was supposed to take them at the same time everyday, but I took them the rest of the 3 days at a different time than the first day (but the remaining 3 days at the same time) because I was at work. I realize now that was a dumb decision because I could have easily had 1 in my pocket and took it quickly.

Do you think the improper use of the first antibiotics are the reason I still have the cough? Should I let the doctor know?
In my professional opinion, NO....I don't think that taking your antibiotics at varying times had anything to do with your cough going away. IMPO, I don't believe that antibiotics would have been effective against your cough. Frankly, even colds, accompanied by coughing, are caused by viruses, which are not touched by antibiotics. Antibiotics fight bactera.....not viruses. The only way that a bacteria is effective against something caused by a virus, is IF you end up with a secondary "bacterial infection".

You're much better off doing some research on what, environmentally, could be causing your cough. Please look into a few "harmless" herbal teas that can ease your cough. Most times, all you really need to do, even if you've got a virus, is pamper and build your immune system, while you "deal" with an irritating symptom (such as a cough), until that virus runs its course. Check your local health store, please....and even look in their "herbal" tea section. They WILL have teas which will address your symptoms and can be SO much help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine