Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM

197 posts, read 212,183 times

Advertisements

I can tell you something that does work. And works better than any antibiotic. If you have UTI, go see your doctor. You never know what might be the cause. But if your doctor starts mumbling about Ecoli and prescribes Cipro (or the equivalent) think twice. D-Mannose is far and away the most effect thing that you can take for this type of UTI. I've tried it, it is almost a miracle, in a week or so you'll feel much better and the UTI will be gone. It is almost universal in the UK but most doctors ignore it in the US.

More than that you'll avoid Cipro which has devastating side-effects for some people. In fact, it ought to be banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,932,540 times
robertpolyglot wrote:
My opinion about alternative medicine?
Alternative, granola, and hogwash.
I thank the Great Spirit for alternative hogwash and many bowls of granola that has kept me in exceptionally good health for 63 years!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM

7,059 posts, read 12,567,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
robertpolyglot wrote:
I thank the Great Spirit for alternative hogwash and many bowls of granola that has kept me in exceptionally good health for 63 years!
Me, I'm with the Wizard!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM

robertpolyglot wrote:
My opinion of mainstream medicine?

To be used only as a last resort when all else fails ( supplemented with copious amounts of prayer and energy healing to increase the likelihood of success )

Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,600,148 times
Holistic medicine (non-pharmaceutical) is probably not for everyone, mostly because most of the knowledge had been lost in our culture and others so it does take lots of time and desire to regain the knowledge. But what is easy to apply is the basic trinity of any holistic approach:

1) Eat nutritious food: mostly veggies (organic is best), whole grains (least processed the better), with small amounts of fish and other poultry/meat as desired. Avoid sugar, processed foods, chemicals in food, and other types of toxins or empty foods in your diet. And drink pure water!

2) Move throughout the day.

3) Get good sleep and other forms of relaxation and learn how to avoid stress, the bane of good health.

This alone will probably address 85% or more of the ailments that people might have to treat during their lives (I haven't been to a physician in 30 years). Other than that, it depends upon how healthy one wants to be and how much one wants to avoid the toxic pharmaceuticals that the drug industry (appropriately named) feeds to the population. Whether legal or illegal, it is always best to avoid drugs when one can.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,606,658 times
I was surprised when our company provided medical insurance paid for naturopathic medical doctors like any other doctor, and included a schedule of holistic/natural treatments and medication they covered. It's not a whole lot, but i understand its probably more than most allow. I think the number of employees from non western countries played a big role in this.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM

782 posts, read 1,082,407 times
I think the MAIN REASON people live longer today is our modern creature comforts.
Less constant exposure to hash elements and wildlife. And modern food supply lines. Simply put, we are not freezing or staving to death.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Texbama wrote: Less constant exposure to hash elements and wildlife.

Hash is illegal, but wildlife still exists.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,314,680 times
I am glad to see people are supporting integrative medicine rather than just western or alternative medicine.

My experience. Western medicine did not work for my high blood pressure brought on by a western med prescription. An Ayurvedic supplement did. I have been taking it for over ten years and it works just fine. Also omega 3 fish oil, Co-Q10 and Red Rice Yeast work better for my cholesterol than prescription meds.

I have taken some prescription meds on a temporary basis that have helped for certain problems as well. So I believe that it is wise to take advantage of the best of both worlds and that people should stop trying to prove one is best over the other. Whatever works and does no harm.

Speaking of does no harm, I wish people would stop going blindly into the latest vitamin or pill or whatever they see touted on TV or the Internet without first checking to see if it is really what they need. I refer to the idea that is being touted today that everyone needs vitamin D. It is the panacea dujour just as once vitamin C was king and another time it was vitamin E.

But vitamin D can be harmful to some people with some medical conditions and it is not necessary for everyone to take it. It is also dangerous to take in the mega doses people believe are ingesting. We somehow like to think that if some is good more is better.

Common sense is needed in these things. If something is needed use it. If it works, take it. But one size does not fit all and one method over another is not the end all be all of the ultimate remedy.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 PM

741 posts, read 1,672,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khsoj View Post
I can tell you something that does work. And works better than any antibiotic. If you have UTI, go see your doctor. You never know what might be the cause. But if your doctor starts mumbling about Ecoli and prescribes Cipro (or the equivalent) think twice. D-Mannose is far and away the most effect thing that you can take for this type of UTI. I've tried it, it is almost a miracle, in a week or so you'll feel much better and the UTI will be gone. It is almost universal in the UK but most doctors ignore it in the US.

More than that you'll avoid Cipro which has devastating side-effects for some people. In fact, it ought to be banned.
I was just kept for 2 days in the hospital 6 weeks ago from having a severe reaction to Macrobid..an antibiotic that I was given for a UTI. So now I have had severe pulmonary and hepatoxic reactions to 2 different antibiotics--both given to me for UTIS. I would love to warn everyone not to take Macrobid !! I dont believe in western medicine and I have NO TRUST in it. I prefer alternative medicine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine