Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:33 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

I think if we start going into details we should look at the past not just 100 years ago and not just in America or western or eastern Europe but as the world as a whole. Also, it's worth to look into the health of people who still live in tribes and don't have much contact with the western world or western medicine.
We can all start going for examples about now vs before but I am not sure it will have do much good because everyone just speak from their own experience and point of view.

I am not blaming the emergency doctor for not being interested, but I am blaming the medical education as a whole. He only recently decided to be an ER doctor, couple of years ago he had a choice of which medical area he could concentrate on, he could have easily picked pediatrics.

And speaking of nutritionists:
When I took my niece to a nutritionist once (request of her mother), I just listened and nodded the whole appointment. I felt like I know more then she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 01:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think if we start going into details we should look at the past not just 100 years ago and not just in America or western or eastern Europe but as the world as a whole. Also, it's worth to look into the health of people who still live in tribes and don't have much contact with the western world or western medicine.
We can all start going for examples about now vs before but I am not sure it will have do much good because everyone just speak from their own experience and point of view.

I was just giving an example. I think the above is an excellent project for someone. It has probably already been done. Certainly, look at maternal/infant mortality, life expectancy, rates of disease, etc. I can assure you my grandmother's family had little contact with western medicine.

I am not blaming the emergency doctor for not being interested, but I am blaming the medical education as a whole. He only recently decided to be an ER doctor, couple of years ago he had a choice of which medical area he could concentrate on, he could have easily picked pediatrics.

In which case, he would have had no choice but to get educated in nutrition, as it is a huge part of pediatrics.

And speaking of nutritionists:
When I took my niece to a nutritionist once (request of her mother), I just listened and nodded the whole appointment. I felt like I know more then she did.
I don't know how to answer this in a way that won't make someone angry. I'll leave it alone.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I don't know how to answer this in a way that won't make someone angry. I'll leave it alone.
Ok, and I don't want to make anyone angry, it's a sensitive topic, better left alone, I agree.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
In which case, he would have had no choice but to get educated in nutrition, as it is a huge part of pediatrics

According to most pediatricians I have met I wouldn't say so.

And I'm not sure if the point that I'm trying to make is being understood, since I'm not just talking about nutrition, there are many other aspects of alternative disease prevention and treatment.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Well, I get the point, but I was responding to an issue that was brought up.

BTW, foma, I am sorry for the loss of your father. I hadn't seen your post until now.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Like I said, it's all about balance. If you are in a car wreck, you are going to want a 'real' doctor, but alternative medicine has its benefits for some things.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:58 PM

21 posts, read 76,969 times
I think everyone is still really missing the point here. It isn't about choosing to use only one or the other. You can argue the pros and cons of both eastern and western medicine all day but that is pointless as they both have viable pros and cons like anything does. That is why eastern and western medicine should be used TOGETHER for comprehensive treatment of the patient in illness and wellness.
If all providers were trained in the best of both worlds the patient would be able to take advantage of both proven traditional and alternative ideas together under the supervision of a compitent provider. I don't think it is to anyone's advantage to just give up on traditional medicine and eat grass and pray...but I do think it is good to use all that traditional medicine has to offer along with all a holistic way of living has to offer...what would we have to lose?
I have Crohn's Disease...an autoimmune disorder where my immune system attacks my intestines causing inflammation & ulcers which lead to very painful obstructions. Western medicine provided all the necessary diagnostic tools to find out what was actually wrong with me. But, western medicine has limited drugs (some with bad side effects) on the market for Crohn's and I have tried them all except one and the truth is nothing has kept this in remission for longer than 5 months. I wish I could find a provider that could teach me what alternative methods, especially through food, I could use safely with my current drugs to help me maintain a longer remission period.
Like I said before like anything in life it is all about finding balance.
Even Dr. Oz from Oprah who is an amazing western medicine physician has said that we need to incorporate eastern medicine into our practices for better wellness.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:10 PM

[quote=lherbe256;1919103]
Quote:
I think everyone is still really missing the point here. It isn't about choosing to use only one or the other. You can argue the pros and cons of both eastern and western medicine all day but that is pointless as they both have viable pros and cons like anything does. That is why eastern and western medicine should be used TOGETHER for comprehensive treatment of the patient in illness and wellness.

The point is not missed, that's what I've been saying before.
You are right though!!!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lherbe256 View Post
If all providers were trained in the best of both worlds the patient would be able to take advantage of both proven traditional and alternative ideas together under the supervision of a compitent provider. I don't think it is to anyone's advantage to just give up on traditional medicine and eat grass and pray...but I do think it is good to use all that traditional medicine has to offer along with all a holistic way of living has to offer...what would we have to lose?
I have Crohn's Disease...an autoimmune disorder where my immune system attacks my intestines causing inflammation & ulcers which lead to very painful obstructions. Western medicine provided all the necessary diagnostic tools to find out what was actually wrong with me. But, western medicine has limited drugs (some with bad side effects) on the market for Crohn's and I have tried them all except one and the truth is nothing has kept this in remission for longer than 5 months. I wish I could find a provider that could teach me what alternative methods, especially through food, I could use safely with my current drugs to help me maintain a longer remission period.
Like I said before like anything in life it is all about finding balance.
Even Dr. Oz from Oprah who is an amazing western medicine physician has said that we need to incorporate eastern medicine into our practices for better wellness.
I was thinking about your post last night (yes, I'm a dork) and just wanted to ask: a friend of mine who has Chron's disease does well when she takes probiotics. Did you ask your doctor about that? Also: have you read: The Maker's Diet by Jordan Ruben?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Iherbe256 wrote:
IMO, everyone's point is valid, even if it is radically different than my own or misses the point that someone else is making. I agree up to a certain level that a blending of allopathic medicine/drugs with alternative healing/herbs is a desirable blend, though in my own life the blend is approximately 95% alternative and 5% allopathic. I look to allopathic means as a last resort only. I strongly prefer to first practice healthy living. When I notice that my health is sinking into a state of diseae, I then use alternative healing to restore my health. On those VERY rare occassions when alternative/natural means don't produce the results I desire then I take a tylenol.

blessings...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine