Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM

910 posts, read 2,300,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
I don't need to tell you that the two above not good for your health long term. They say that Trazalam is harder to kick than heroin.

Has any medical professional ever brought up Sleep Apnea? It might be a long shot. Look over the information at the link and see if you have any of the symptoms.
I get apnea attacks (because I can't usually breathe through my mouth) due to allergic reaction to wheat or dairy (but this one happened more when I was also eating wheat regularly), and also when I'm very stressed but that's because I suffer from chronic nasal congestion, I probably have an obstruction on my right side. Other people at least snore so they don't choke like me! I always have to wear a nasal strip to bed, only when I've been feeling "real good" I've inadvertently fallen asleep without a strip, otherwise I can stay up until the cows come home or have apnea attacks any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM

910 posts, read 2,300,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
My hope is to find a good naturopath in my area.
I found a good directory, let me know if you'd like to take a look and I'll DM you the link.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,061,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Even though there's a thread already here about insomnia, it doesn't address this type of sleep problem because it's about an overly active mind keeping you awake.

I have chronic fatigue and have no idea of what it's like to feel rested as I do not really sleep deeply.
There is no shame in seeking professional therapy to help you get to the root of any emotional or psychological problems that may be involved.

Quote:
For about 20 years I've been taking 1 mg of clonopin at night along with 25 mg trazadone. The clonopin puts me to sleep; the trazadone keeps me asleep. Sort of.

I don't really like being on pills but if I don't take them, I simply don't sleep. Over the years I've tried Valerian root, melatonin, that homeopathic sleep remedy with the mixture of herbs but none of them do anything at all. I could take an entire bottle of Valerian root and not sleep. I've tried chamomile tea=nothing.
Now there's a testimonial you wont see on the alt med websites! Why not try a glass of wine before bed? It seems to help a lot of people and you wont need drugs. My mother, now deceased, found that one or two ounces of Blackberry Brandy not only helped her get to sleep, but kept her asleep all night.

Quote:
If it's due to adrenal fatigue (which I keep reading about) and not "nerves" or overly active mind, then what would work? I don't have a tv in the bedroom, the room is dark, comfy bed, etc. There is something in the homeopathic formula that works a little bit so I might be on the right track with one of their herbs or minerals. Any ideas?
Have you had the sleep-test to see if you suffer from sleep apnea? You may well be a sufferer of this common condition, especially if you are overweight.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:54 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,871,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
There is no shame in seeking professional therapy to help you get to the root of any emotional or psychological problems that may be involved.

Now there's a testimonial you wont see on the alt med websites! Why not try a glass of wine before bed? It seems to help a lot of people and you wont need drugs. My mother, now deceased, found that one or two ounces of Blackberry Brandy not only helped her get to sleep, but kept her asleep all night.

Have you had the sleep-test to see if you suffer from sleep apnea? You may well be a sufferer of this common condition, especially if you are overweight.
Multi quote only works intermittently on my computer!! But, yes, I did go to a therapist but this poor sleep seems to be not only genetic somehow but also related to the fibromyalgia.

The clonopin? lol. Good thing about it is no side effects. It's about the only Rx I can take that has absolutely no bad effects. Wine doesn't work, neither does beer and both deplete magnesium which I am already low in so it makes it worse.

I never had a sleep test but I did go to a sleep doctor and he tried melatonin which didn't work at all. I'm not overweight.

I'll stay with good old clonopin with a love/hate relationship until I can get to the root of this, if ever. I know--clonopin on alt. med --but to me, alt med runs the full spectrum from just using a few natural products to totally all natural and everything in between. I like the terms "integrative" or "complementary" better.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,718,443 times
Clonopin is highly addictive. Please do some research on this drug before you ever decide to go off it, and absolutely do not go off it without speaking with your MD first.

In the meantime, while I believe in all kinds of alternative medicine, the best I've ever found -- that seems to work for everybody -- is exercise, acupuncture, massage, deep breathing, and some form of meditation (which can be combined with deep breathing but not usually).

The problem with all this is that acupuncture and massage (once a week) are expensive. Exercise and meditation takes a lot of effort (I've found) if you're trying to do it on your own and not with a group. But deep breathing can have results almost immediately, just a little at first and then more and more as time goes by.

Holy Basil (Tulsi) tea or tincture has a calming effect and does not appear to interact with any meds. Do some research of your own on it before you try it. Also, talk to your MD.

Your nervous system has become used to working in a certain way, over a long period of time. You can retrain your nervous system and make it much healthier. But there is no magic wand. Anything that is going to really help takes time and effort (and sometimes money, unfortunately).

I hope you get better.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,964,838 times
Quote:
Multi quote only works intermittently on my computer!! But, yes, I did go to a therapist but this poor sleep seems to be not only genetic somehow but also related to the fibromyalgia.

The clonopin? lol. Good thing about it is no side effects. It's about the only Rx I can take that has absolutely no bad effects. Wine doesn't work, neither does beer and both deplete magnesium which I am already low in so it makes it worse.

I never had a sleep test but I did go to a sleep doctor and he tried melatonin which didn't work at all. I'm not overweight.

I'll stay with good old clonopin with a love/hate relationship until I can get to the root of this, if ever. I know--clonopin on alt. med --but to me, alt med runs the full spectrum from just using a few natural products to totally all natural and everything in between. I like the terms "integrative" or "complementary" better.
Every drug has side effects and according to this info, there are sleep side effects to Klonopin

Side Effects of Klonopin (Clonazepam) Drug Center - RxList

Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,891,490 times
You might benefit from checking with your insurance on accupuncture. Mine covers a certain number of treatments, per diagnosis per year. I think it's something like 4 treatments each. So if I have pain in this body part, they'll cover 4 visits of accupuncture. If I have migraines, they'll cover another 4 visits. There are only certain ailments in which accupuncture is covered, but they definitely do cover it and it's covered by more and more policies.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,871,666 times
I had several months of acupuncture about a year ago and it did absolutely nothing. I've had success in the past for other things but not this time and my insurance definitely doesn't cover it.

Clonopin does have side effects, especially addiction but as far as not making me sick, it's the only sleep med I can take. It was recommended for chronic fatigue many years ago because so many of us can't tolerate the usual prescription meds. This is one of the few that is well tolerated. I read that if you have chronic fatigue, it will put you to sleep. For people who take it during the day for nerves it has a different effect in that it simply calms them down.

I've ordered a list of things that are supposed to help with sleep and fibro so once the box of goodies arrives I'll start trying them out one at a time. No, I would never get off clonopin without tapering off very gradually. I've done it before under my dr's supervision so that they could try other meds but other meds won't work.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 AM

348 posts, read 337,909 times
Quote:

The clonopin? lol. Good thing about it is no side effects. It's about the only Rx I can take that has absolutely no bad effects.

Brain Damage from Benzodiazepines: The Troubling Facts, Risks, and History of Minor Tranquilizers

Sorry to be the one that breaks this to you.
Also, the brain damage tends to be permanent.

I quit taking Clonazepam exactly for this reason.
My, it was a sweetness while it lasted though.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,718,443 times
Quote:
I've ordered a list of things that are supposed to help with sleep and fibro so once the box of goodies arrives I'll start trying them out one at a time. No, I would never get off clonopin without tapering off very gradually. I've done it before under my dr's supervision so that they could try other meds but other meds won't work.
I hope you'll check with your MD before taking these goodies. You don't know that one or more of these goodies will interact adversely with the clonopin. Just because something is 'natural' doesn't mean that it's harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine