Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,023,133 times

Advertisements

@in_newengland....As a temporary solution, you might benefit from kratom. I use about 1/2 tsp around 5PM as a sleep aid and it works like a charm for me. The so-called Bali strain works best. Unfortunately, it will not resolve the root of your insomnia, and unfortunately also, you can develop a dependence upon its usage, but at just 1/2 tsp per day it would probably take you several yeasr to develop a dependency, and hopefully by then you will have discovered the root of the problem, and addressed the issue at that level. Beware that most of the research done via the internet will paint a very dark picture of kratom and make it look like something to be avoided at all costs. In reality, it is quite benign and very effective as a sleep aid and many other uses. Personally, I have used it almost daily for 4 and a half years and I've never experienced any of the ominous side effects that its detractors attribute to it. If interested I can provide you with a list of trustworthy vendors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 07:08 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,773,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
@in_newengland....As a temporary solution, you might benefit from kratom. I use about 1/2 tsp around 5PM as a sleep aid and it works like a charm for me. The so-called Bali strain works best. Unfortunately, it will not resolve the root of your insomnia, and unfortunately also, you can develop a dependence upon its usage, but at just 1/2 tsp per day it would probably take you several yeasr to develop a dependency, and hopefully by then you will have discovered the root of the problem, and addressed the issue at that level. Beware that most of the research done via the internet will paint a very dark picture of kratom and make it look like something to be avoided at all costs. In reality, it is quite benign and very effective as a sleep aid and many other uses. Personally, I have used it almost daily for 4 and a half years and I've never experienced any of the ominous side effects that its detractors attribute to it. If interested I can provide you with a list of trustworthy vendors.
Thank you. I've seen that word before and I remember the negative statements about it. Right now I have a list of things to try and I've just bought some of them and will be trying them one at a time to see which one, if any, will work.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:33 PM

206 posts, read 574,874 times
What a great thread!!! So much info. I suffer with CFIDS and lots of sleep problems. Trying to use natural remedies....once again. Found two interesting things...since many natural things are problematic for me (melatonin makes me insane!!! LOL)
Catnip or Wild Lettuce Leaf....I get them on the swanson website...they are very cheap and work....sometimes...Helps me to use RX drugs less.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Are you adamant against regular meds? I have tried TONS of different supplements/herbs for insomnia and nothing has worked like prescriptions. If chronic fatigue is similar to the tiredness of FM.... the Lyrica I take for FM has given me really deep sleep, and I feel much more rested. I still have to take trazadone, but I have cut the dosage way back. I never had dreams (or anything I could remember), and I dream a LOT now.
You're probably the best person for me to talk to about this because you "get" it.

(More doctors are saying that chronic fatigue IS fibro.) People are always telling me that clonopin is bad but they don't know what they're talking about. It is bad if people pop it all day long and get addicted to it but it's not bad if it's the only thing that will allow you to sleep. One low dose pill at bedtime, same dose year in and year out.

I've tried tons of different supplements and herbs too and nothing worked. The homeopathic remedy, calms forte works if I wake up and can't go back to sleep but it doesn't work at bedtime to help me fall asleep.

I'd love to not be on anything. When I moved a few years ago I had to change doctors and went through a hard time convincing the dr to give me clonopin, got a big lecture about how bad it is and they tried everything else on me, things that made me really sick. They wouldn't believe me. Finally, they caved in and gave me the clonopin. I never want to have to go through that again.

So for a few reasons I decided to give it one last try. Trying a list of "natural" remedies that I researched. If one of them works it would be great because I dread not being able to get clonopin and living the nightmare of complete and total insomnia again.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 AM

24 posts, read 295,619 times
Default Try magnesium!!

You may just be magnesium deficient. Give it a try. You can try Magnesium Citrate pills or there is this great stuff called 'Natural Calm' that is super absorbable. I suggest you do your research on magnesium deficiency, there is over 300 known symptoms, and 95% of them are on TV being advertised to be teated with some pharmaceutical drug (that further depletes it). I'm not saying this your cure, but I would give it about %75 chance that it is in some way related to your insomnia. No side affects other that possible loose stools if you take too much, WORTH A SHOT.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexthomp View Post
You may just be magnesium deficient. Give it a try. You can try Magnesium Citrate pills or there is this great stuff called 'Natural Calm' that is super absorbable. I suggest you do your research on magnesium deficiency, there is over 300 known symptoms, and 95% of them are on TV being advertised to be teated with some pharmaceutical drug (that further depletes it). I'm not saying this your cure, but I would give it about %75 chance that it is in some way related to your insomnia. No side affects other that possible loose stools if you take too much, WORTH A SHOT.
Thanks but I know I'm very magnesium deficient--I was tested. I take magnesium aspartate and it helps some but not really with the insomnia. I did find something that helps and that is L-Glycine. I have taken the magnesium faithfully for years. Almost everyone is deficient in magnesium.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,997,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you've ever taken a Hall's Mentho-Lyptus for a cough, or Campho-phenique for a cold sore, or rubbed Ben-Gay into your skin when you had sore muscles, you've used aromatherapy.
I disagree. The aroma has little to do with these concoctions you listed. They're irritants that cause blood to rush to the area of application and supposedly facilitate healing faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine