Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

Baking soda. Only downside is it causes one to burp-once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 PM

38 posts, read 63,403 times
Yes and I would recommend doctor supervision for most people starting it out.

There are a lot of people who use it without a doctor and atkins is even a weak form of keto. However there are dangers to doing it wrong. I heard about a poor high school girl who died from calcium and potassium shortages while on atkins. Very sad.

I don't really have the cash to see a doctor or to buy ketostix and urine PH test strips but I am really trying to read my body signs. Earlier in the diet I had twitching but now I am taking in a lot of electrolytes and I feel great. I drink about 10 cups a water a day to prevent uric acid build up. When I drink extra water I can smell a difference in my urine which I believe is the uric acid coming out.

3 Times a day I take a calcium/ magnesium supplement and I use lots of Pink salt, and iodized lite salt (with potassium chloride)

My main sources of fats are from coconut oil and grass fed cultured butter. If not in keto this fats would be bad for my heart but Keto is suppose to reduce blood triglycerides because your liver turns the fats into ketones instead of release the fats into your blood.

I really have to be careful with the electrolytes. I did ~4 hours of cardio (running disc golf) yesterday and I was feeling symptoms of electrolyte shortage when I got home. I took more cal/mag and salts with half a gallon of water with lime and my symptoms went away. I do think I was dangerously low on electrolytes and I'm going to get some electrolyte tabs for the next time I do more then an hour of cardio. With high intensity stuff perhaps even after 30 minutes. I pour sweat when I do high intensity.

So yes I would say a ketogenic diet is very advanced and not something someone should just jump into.

The more pro way to do it would be to have your electrolytes monitored and regulate your urine PH with potassium citrate and Urine PH tests.

The results of this diet and exercise for me are enormous amounts of energy, a clearer mind, less hunger, and 25lb's lost in 2 months (1st months was veggie but I was reaching ketosis in that as evident by **** sented sweat). I think I was having a lot of metabolic issues from my diet and being overweight.

I'm 6'2", 28 years old, and now 200lbs... 20-25 lbs more and I should reach my ideal weight, at which point might move into something like a mediterranean diet. I really have crazy energy and endurance on this diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Isn't the ketogenic diet usually overseen by a doctor?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 PM

I'd like to point out that reducing your acid level in your stomach can increase your chances of food born illness and make it so your body cant digest veggies as well. Your stomach is suppose to regrow about once a day. Strong acid should not be a problem as long as it doesn't make its way into your esophagus.

I'd try a semi vegetarian diet and see if that works. It take a few days for your body to adjust to eating big salads and such but it will and it might make a difference in the way your body deals with the acid in your stomach. One can tell from ones stool how well ones body is digesting the veggies.

I believe that large amounts of easy to digest food are related to the problem. I use to eat tums when I had heartburn in the last 2 months I've had it twice, once when I drinking vodka (I dont drink much) with a friend and the other was when I went to bed after eating a large meal.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon3200 View Post
Yes and I would recommend doctor supervision for most people starting it out. ..
That sounds incredibly complicated and dangerous. Have you used that diet before?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 PM

No, I haven't but I've been doing a lot of research and trial and error. Many use the diet in a less complicated ways but there are risks that I think anyone who tries it needs to know. The bulletproof, atkins, and paleo diets are all ketogenic or ketogenic lite. Through all the videos and texts there are not enough people that seem to be familiar with the possible complications.

I'll be honest that I don't really know how safe it is which is why I would not recommend it to people without doctor supervision and I feel obligated to mention the cavets to everyone which are that you need a lot more electrolytes and extra water to flush both ketones and uric acid.

Some say that done correctly that a ketogenic diet is a healthier way to loose weight which makes sense to me because your body is use to burning fat and it changes how your body uses fat. Also it has been shown to have promising results in fighting, alzheimer's, epilepsy, and cancer. I felt like trying this diet out so that I could understand it better as I know people with alzheimer's and cancer but I want to have first hand experience before I tell people about it.

I avoid excessive amounts of protein and still eat a lot of low carb vegetables.

The ketogenic diet is interesting to me in principle. I can see how this form of metabolic function found its way into our genetic code. I doubt ancient european caveman had access to carbs in the winter. We are interesting animals. One of the few mammals that can cool itself by sweating which allows us to run down large "panting" type animals. On a keto diet we would have even greater endurance making us a very effective endurance predator.

How a low carb diet reduced my risk of heart disease (Part 3) « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

How a low carb diet affected my athletic performance (Part 4) « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

My feeling is this is most likely a fairly healthy diet if done right but it is also very complicated. Really thou i'm not a Doctor. Your mileage may very. Do your own research. Ask your own doctor.

Anyway sorry to have hijacked this thread. I don't even really recommend keto for heartburn. It just seems too extreme for a small problem. Just try eating at least one vegetarian grain free meal a day and I bet ones heartburn will improve. Hopefully this approach gets to the root of the problem rather then supply a short term solution. Who knows maybe taking a antacid will reduce acid levels which will somehow slow down stomach growth and make it easier to reoccur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
That sounds incredibly complicated and dangerous. Have you used that diet before?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
At times an orange or banana can disrupt my digestive system when an onion laden hamburger won't. I don't understand it but that is how it works. Sausage for breakfast has always been bad but a piece of cold pizza or cold fried chicken no problem. Finally gave in and now at the advice of my doc just take over the counter generic prevacid.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 PM

I do think its important that the wrong fats are avoided if one is doing ketosis. Mono and polyunsaturated fats should be consumed sparsely at the same amounts one would recommend for a regular diet. The extra calories should come from clean sources of saturated fats.

Some say that animal fats from animals that are fed corn and soy are bad for you. This makes sense to me as these fat types are highly unstable compared to saturated fats. If a animal is fed these fats from last years corn and soy then the oils are already 4-9 months old before the animal eats it. Then perhaps the oils age inside the animal. The danger is that if the oils oxidize they become chemically rancid and are then toxic and can cause cancer. Old omega 3's should be avoided like the plague. Ever smelled old salad dressing? It has that weird smell it. Thats rancid oils. I've smelled this on old vegetable oils, old mayo, old flax, and old natural omega 3 foods. I learned to never buy this products when they are on sale. Infact I now question eating any vegetable oil except for good olive oil. I stopped using smart balance oil about a month ago. I have heard that people should not even eat brown rice unless it is fresh, organic, and has been stored in the fridge. This is because the oils in the brown parts can turn rancid making it dangerous.

Its hard to even say how much omega 3 one should consume. In natural it tends to be found in cold water fish. Around the equator most of the fats are saturated fats like coconut oil, here saturated fats offer the most protection from the heat. Omega 3's are produced in seeds that fall in the fall, sit under snow all winter and then sprout in the spring. The omega again most likely protects the seed from the cold. These seeds had no existence in the summer before man started storing them. The temperature of our blood is a lot closer to the equator then cold water fish or freezing seeds. In theory maybe omega 3s arent so good?

In practice it is good to stay away from foods fried in vegetable oil. Saturated fats are best for heated applications. Olive oil is good cold in salads or other cold dishes. If you are going to eat food that has been fried in vegetable oil try to find a place that at least changes their oil everyday. The older the oils is the worse it is going to be. Those cheap fast food places are probably the worse.

I don't know if omega 3's are good and at what points. There is a theoretical stuff here. If you are going to eat omega 3's fresh are defined and proven to be better. Salmon and fresh krill oil are good. Old fish oils have the same problems as old vegetable oils so fresher is better. I keep my krill oil in the freezer.

If you are not in ketosis everything changes. Saturated fats become more dangerous and need to be eaten in smaller amounts. This might be what killed atkins... Too many carbs and also too much protein.

Also if you eat a lot of meat the bacteria in your intestines is more likely to create toxins that will attach your heart. Going through phases of vegetarianism will help to change your bacteria into a better type. Probiotics are good. I prefer to get mine in bio salud, probiotic plain yogurt, and kombucha. I think going vegetation before keto was a good move because it helped cleanse some of the toxins and prepared my gut to better handle this new diet. If it stinks when you pass gas then your bacteria balance is off. With the right foods/bacteria you can rip um loud and clear without any smell.

Sorry if I am going on and on. I just mentioned this keto diet and I feel like I need to explain the risks and how to reduce them just in case someone tries it the wrong way after reading my initial post.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 PM

By the way... It took me 4-5 days to adapt to vegarainsum and my digestion was not as good when I first started cramming all those veggies down my throat. I'd eat veggies pretty regularly before just as side dishes. I'm not saying it will work for everyone and it might even make it worse for some time but after your digestive system adapts you might have those problems anymore. Then one can slowly reintroduce grains and meats into the diet just being sure to keep a lot of veggies in there.

My vegetarian diet had little breads but more slow carbs like squash, sweet potatoes, rice and beans as well as lots of leafy greens. I still consumed eggs on occasion and ate tempeh and tofu although I did worry about the negative health effects of soy (phytoestrogen, ect.). I wish they would legalize growing hemp in the USA so that we can start getting Hemp-fu.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 PM

The theory I outlined involves retraining your entire digestive system. Results will not be instantaneous.

Your easy to digest cheeseburgers, pizza, and fried chicken may go down without a fight but it teaches your stomach to be less active. These "comfort foods" are great after your sick or when your hung over but if you want to create an iron stomach perhaps easy to digest food is not the answer?

Its a fact that eating a vegetarian diet will increase stomach acid, yet with my own personal experience it reduced my heartburn. Perhaps if your stomach is working to increase its acid level it will also increase its efforts to safely handle the increased acid without burn.

I'm just saying maybe instead of going against nature by neutralizing parts of your digestive system might not be the way to go for long term results. Perhaps our bodies were not meant to eat the average american diet. I miss my mcdoubles, taco bells, and culverized butter burgers at times but I feel so great right now I know I prefer to do without. There are many yummy and healthy food options out there.

I was serious about low stomach acid increasing your risk of food born illness. If you are on antacids I would be extra careful with raw vegetables and would most certainly avoid sushi. I doubt that many vegetarians get e coli compared to the pizza eaters who occasionally eat raw salads. Since raw salads are major source of e coli this is really saying something. (thou maybe not since I have no records or "facts" to back this up, real talk). I just have a strong gut opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
At times an orange or banana can disrupt my digestive system when an onion laden hamburger won't. I don't understand it but that is how it works. Sausage for breakfast has always been bad but a piece of cold pizza or cold fried chicken no problem. Finally gave in and now at the advice of my doc just take over the counter generic prevacid.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Baking soda. Only downside is it causes one to burp-once.

I agree with this one....a teaspoon of baking soda really does the trick for me.

I also use calcium or H2 blockers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine