Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 04:44 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,978,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holistic Lifestyle Guide View Post
2 is nothing compared to America's 300 (and rising): https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...from-cdc-shows

Considering the fact that India's population is 955 million more than the US, you'd think the numbers would be the other way around. Most people in India use Ayurveda, where in the US, most people still take prescription drugs, eat unhealthy food, and live unhealthy lifestyles.

Also, Covid19 is killing healthy young people too, so this statistic doesn't pertain to this subject.

And, aren't we in an alternative health forum? Why are there people in here trying to make alternative health look bad?
Did you miss that the ayurvedic doctors who died were treated in hospitals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 PM

15 posts, read 6,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Maybe because it claims to do things it doesn't do. When it fails the patient gets blamed for not following the prescribed practices. It puts the blame on the victim. It doesn't acknowledge it's shortcomings and the things it can't do. It can also be dangerous when it replaces modern medicine in cases like cancer. Modern medicine acknowledges it's own shortcomings and failures. But alternative medicine does not.
I've never heard Ayurveda making claims for things it doesn't do, the information is pretty straight forward (as most alternative medicine is too) that there is a time and a place for it, as there is a time and a place for modern medicine. I guess we have vastly different experiences as far as the information we have access to.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,921,858 times
Quote:
I've never heard Ayurveda making claims for things it doesn't do, the information is pretty straight forward (as most alternative medicine is too) that there is a time and a place for it, as there is a time and a place for modern medicine. I guess we have vastly different experiences as far as the information we have access to.
Once again, I was replying to the poster who said Ayurvedic practices can prevent all diseases and can cure all diseases including cancer.

This is the quote I replied to:

"Ayurvedic doctors would beg to differ; every single Ayurveda course I have taken or Ayurvedic doctor I have studied has said that disease (any type of illness, including cancer) can not develop in a body that doesn't have the correct environment for it. It can appear initially if there is an imbalance for a long enough period of time, but if you follow the guidelines on the correct lifestyle for your body type, your body will self-heal."

Maybe these claims were not tenets of ayurvedic medicine, but of the poster or someone the poster was quoting. The internet is full of alternative practices that make fantastic and unfounded claims. There are also many legitimte practitioners.

As far as I have read, ayurvedic medicine can help with the side effects of chemo, can treat certain conditions like rheumatism, but cannot cure cancer or prevent it.

A NIH study on ayurvedic medicine as an adjunct to chemo reported: "From amongst the symptomatic criteria, there was significant improvement in all the three arms compared with the control group in nausea, loss of appetite, constipation, and fatigue.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24906836/

I got the same results from steroids, anti nausea medicine and Senekot, and didn't have to do anything different than I normally do.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,599,297 times
bobspez: Kinda following this thread I conclude it's all about what a person is accustomed to using for their health issues. I have absolutely no desire to use steroids, anti nausea drugs, nope, I take some baking soda if I feel a sour stomach, etc etc....I use many alternatives medicines and have worked with some ayurvedic ones...and maybe 1/2 dozen homeopathics and the rest herbals and minerals etc. It's all OK what we choose to use and if satisfied with one's outcome, that is good.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:15 PM

15 posts, read 6,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Once again, I was replying to the poster who said Ayurvedic practices can prevent all diseases and can cure all diseases including cancer.

This is the quote I replied to:

"Ayurvedic doctors would beg to differ; every single Ayurveda course I have taken or Ayurvedic doctor I have studied has said that disease (any type of illness, including cancer) can not develop in a body that doesn't have the correct environment for it. It can appear initially if there is an imbalance for a long enough period of time, but if you follow the guidelines on the correct lifestyle for your body type, your body will self-heal."

Maybe these claims were not tenets of ayurvedic medicine, but of the poster or someone the poster was quoting. The internet is full of alternative practices that make fantastic and unfounded claims. There are also many legitimte practitioners.
That was my post, and I was referring to Ayurvedic medicine in general. Every time I take a course on it, read a book about it, watch a webinar about it, etc. they all say Ayurveda prevents disease, including cancer- all illnesses are the same thing, a dis-ease in the body. The entire purpose of Ayurveda is to keep the body in balance, therefore dis-ease doesn't happen, as long as it is followed correctly, which is where the problem lies. In our modern world, it's almost impossible to avoid dis-ease physically, mentally and spiritually, so since we are humans living in this world, we will get sick and die eventually, we aren't immortal so no medical system can fix that. Ayurveda doesn't claim to make you immortal or immune to things like the coronavirus. It just allows you to live the healthiest life you can possibly live.

Quote:
A NIH study on ayurvedic medicine as an adjunct to chemo reported: "From amongst the symptomatic criteria, there was significant improvement in all the three arms compared with the control group in nausea, loss of appetite, constipation, and fatigue.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24906836/

I got the same results from steroids, anti nausea medicine and Senekot, and didn't have to do anything different than I normally do.
Of course you will get the same results from the things you used, because that is the purpose of them. But Ayurveda has natural remedies that don't have side effects. Anything not natural put into the body will have a negative effect whether you feel it right away or later on. Again, I'm not sure why you are in an alternative medicine thread if you are clearly against alternative medicine.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:23 AM

11,443 posts, read 620,406 times
I agree that alt meds are much better and should be used it possible!!

Old 05-30-2020, 04:07 AM

36,972 posts, read 40,978,179 times
Quote:
. But Ayurveda has natural remedies that don't have side effects. Anything not natural put into the body will have a negative effect whether you feel it right away or later on. Again, I'm not sure why you are in an alternative medicine thread if you are clearly against alternative medicine.
Lead, arsenic, and cadmium are "natural," but do you really want to consume them?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6060866/

"Ayurvedic formulations are based on herbal products but often include toxic metals and other elements as part of the Rasa Shastra practice. These elements are used intentionally, as Ayurvedic tradition holds that lead, mercury, copper, gold, iron, silver, tin, and zinc may help restore good health and normal function to the human body. Arsenic, aluminum, cadmium, chromium, and nickel may be found in Ayurvedic products as well. It is estimated that over 20% of the Ayurvedic medications manufactured and distributed by U.S. and Indian companies contain toxic metals such as lead, mercury, and/or arsenic."

Old 05-30-2020, 12:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,921,858 times
Quote:
....Again, I'm not sure why you are in an alternative medicine thread if you are clearly against alternative medicine.
When you click on the New Posts button on the forum you get post headings from all threads. I just respond to posts that look interesting to me or for which I have personal experience in and feel I have something to contribute. I think if you go to any thread whether it is religion or politics or retirement, or specific cities you will see opposing viewpoints. I think that's the whole purpose of a forum, the free exchange of ideas, rather than a believers' only, preaching to the choir type of group. I favor CD and a few other forums because they don't try to suppress individual points of view. There are other online forums that ban you if you go against the orthodoxy that they promote or challenge the mod's viewpoint.

Last edited by bobspez; 05-30-2020 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine