Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:27 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I would like to try the Rice Diet, but after a few days, gives me terrible heartburn!
Just a guess but I'm thinking that you're not chewing your food up well enough. Thats a huge part of the process in a macrobiotic diet/cleansing.
You're also not supposed to drink anything "during" your meal. Only before or after....and only one cup of non caffinated and non aromatic teas. Preferable to drink twig teas such as Bancha or Kukicha..etc.

One of the many things this cleaning taught me is how we take something like "chewing" up our foods for granted. Most people only half chew their foods up.
You should be chewing your foods into liquid. I mean it makes sense....why bother shoveling another mouthful in if you haven't fully chewed up the previous mouthful?
Thats another reason people gain weight and over eat.
All these simple things become over looked.
We miss the trees through the forests

PS...I Googled Heartburn only to find in many of the articles that Brown Rice actually helps relieve Heart burn.

Heartburn Remedies; Heartburn Relief

"Helpful foods include pineapple, brown rice, potatoes, beans, whole wheat pasta, yogurt, salmon, tuna, sunflower seeds, asparagus, mushrooms and Brazil nuts."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 10:59 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
I use probiotics and enzymes for occasional heartburn, works well for me.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I would like to try the Rice Diet, but after a few days, gives me terrible heartburn!
Thats me exactly with oats so maybe you have a grain intolerence as they really inflame my intestines after several days of eating and only goes away when i stop eating them. (although i do miss oatmeal)

Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Yes, I have the same problem with oatmeal, but love it so take the risk.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,420 times
Hmmm. I didn't eat for a week straight, the day I left my stbx.

I just picked up and started driving. Texas, Florida, Wisconsin, Indiana, then Maryland, where I finally stopped. . . I'm petrified of crowded places, and being alone. I was making it a point to "find myself" and become accustomed to being alone from now on when I left, but somewhere along the way, I just forgot to stop and eat. Lots of driving and singing and crying and late night phone conversations from my truck, the whole trip took a little over a week.

I'll agree with a previous poster.. I kinda just spaced out really easily during that time. I was still drinking plenty, and I HAD food in the car, when I stopped for gas, I'd pick up a box of fig newtons or something.. but I never ate them. After 2 days, I stopped picking up food period. I know I lost weight, I don't think I would want to try it again... not sure. Because I just started exersicing as part of my daily routine. I'll need my energy!

When I was 17, I lost 70 pounds, by stopping eating. I drank a ton of almost anything.. and walked everywhere just to get out of the house and under my headphones so I could escape to my music. That was an awesome summer. 70 pounds! Maybe I will try it again...

Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
When you have a colonoscopy, after a certain age, you spend the day before on clear liquids only. It is surprisingly easy and you don't get hungry. I suspect my waistline and otherwise wellbeing would probably benefit from doing this just for the heck of it.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
I fasted once for almost a month, lost 40 lbs. After 4-5 days I wasn't hungry at all. They say once your hunger comes back it is time to eat and I did. It was fine then, no problems and I drank plenty of water and took vitamins. I wouldn't do it at my age now, in my 50's.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:04 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,349,343 times
Quote:
When you have a colonoscopy, after a certain age, you spend the day before on clear liquids only. It is surprisingly easy and you don't get hungry. I suspect my waistline and otherwise wellbeing would probably benefit from doing this just for the heck of it.
gentlearts, no you don't lose weight for very long. I thought that I would, and then I even thought that it would help me to eat less afterwards, but it didn't.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Just a guess but I'm thinking that you're not chewing your food up well enough. Thats a huge part of the process in a macrobiotic diet/cleansing.
You're also not supposed to drink anything "during" your meal. Only before or after....and only one cup of non caffinated and non aromatic teas. Preferable to drink twig teas such as Bancha or Kukicha..etc.

One of the many things this cleaning taught me is how we take something like "chewing" up our foods for granted. Most people only half chew their foods up.
You should be chewing your foods into liquid. I mean it makes sense....why bother shoveling another mouthful in if you haven't fully chewed up the previous mouthful?
Thats another reason people gain weight and over eat.
All these simple things become over looked.
We miss the trees through the forests

PS...I Googled Heartburn only to find in many of the articles that Brown Rice actually helps relieve Heart burn.

Heartburn Remedies; Heartburn Relief

"Helpful foods include pineapple, brown rice, potatoes, beans, whole wheat pasta, yogurt, salmon, tuna, sunflower seeds, asparagus, mushrooms and Brazil nuts."
How much of the brown rice do you eat daily?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:11 PM

38 posts, read 154,260 times
Default A Closer Look at Fasting

I don't feel that fasting is good for losing weight, or good for the health. After awhile the body's metabolism slows down; it goes into starvation mode. It's a biological survival mechanism. Your body doesn't know that you're consciously choosing not to eat and that you can continue eating at will. As far as it's concerned, you're not eating because there's no food available. (Our biology doesn't factor in human craziness ) So the body shifts into a gear where it burns calories more sparingly to keep you alive.

Starvation diets will work to an extent, but not nearly as effectively as one would normally think. And it puts unnecessary stress on the body.

Fasting has been viewed in recent times as being healthy, for clearing toxins out of the body, and this and that. These are actually fringe claims that have simply become more accepted. There's no real evidence that suggests that toxins are cleared out of the body faster when you're fasting than normally. In fact, on a biological level, they're probably being cleared out more slowly, if I had to guess. Since the body starts running at conservation speeds, it seems unlikely that any of the bodies functions (such as detoxification) should actually speed up, thereby burning more calories.

Fasting was originally a religious practice in times of old when seekers consciously engaged in practices designed to stress the body in ways into triggering trance states and hallucinations. Self-flagellation was another such practice, which involved whipping oneself. Sleep deprivation and meditation were others.

A few of these ancient practices have crossed over into modern times (such as fasting and meditation) and survive with the idea of them being health practices. People view it like eating vegetables; they taste bad yet people continue eating them, therefor they must be good for you. It kind of crossed over with that type of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine