Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has gone from bad health, serious illness, to good health by changing their lifestyle through eating differently, exercising, etc.? Or maybe by taking herbal alternative medications?

Ever been on prescribed meds and improved so much you didn't need them any more?

Thanks for sharing your story and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,069 times
Symptoms began within three years of marriage. Was pregnant two months after wedding.

Headaches. Recall my very first migraine while pregnant. They continued for years and was given imitrex after other meds failed.

Sinus infections that required broad spectrum antibiotics (which did zilch, now it is known most sinus is yeast/fugnal) and steroidal nose sprays for years with NO relief.

GERD/reflux. Ulcer. Stomach issues. Given all the acid lowering protein pump inhibitors, MORE antibiotics, gallbladder removal surgery. Still. no. relief for years.

Melanoma. Not sure if it figures in but come on!! Lost a pregnancy, too...

which caused a bit of depression that was undiagnosed. I wondered if the upper GI series done while could have been pregnant *I was! cause miscarriage? Also found the diet for the ulcer was exasperating the undiagnosed gall stones. I was a mess partly thanks to the many foul-ups and mis diagnosis of "professionals." During this five year time frame I am xrayed, mri'd and scanned numerous times. Even told LUNG NODULES!! NEED BIOPSY. To find it is probably FUNGUS. (Said NO to thyroid surgery just to make sure nodules are not cancer and YES to iodine supplementation protocol-been 7 years and knock on wood - still taking iodoral. Thyroid numbers are perfect. )

So, in 2005 I read a book about medical things they don't want you to know about, composed by some felon and I incorporated as many of the suggestions as I could. Or felt comfortable with and SAW/FELT IMMEDIATE RESULTS LIKE WITHIN 2 WEEKS. Began detoxes. InfraRed Saunas. Massage for lymph. Ionic foot baths. Magnesium oil on feet. Herbal/medicinal tinctures or teas. Yoga class. Walks.

So, I add more of the suggestions. And felt BETTER. Got off the antibiotics, zantac, tagamet, axid, carafate, prilosec came later -- and all THAT useless junk - at the time, this stuff was very expensive! Did NOTHING to relieve pain.

Sinus headaches are gone. Migraines develop during storms? only. And are relived with otc pain reliever - much better than the meds I was prescribed. It has been over two years since they have stopped. Totally stopped.

Stomach issues ceased as soon as organic foods were introduced. Pure heaven.

Gluten free has somewhat cleared up some issues, too. NO GRAIN anymore.

I also have pure/clean toxic free personal products. Unrefined coconut oil globs go into my organic, fair trade shade grown coffee with raw cream and whole leaf stevia in the am. It is a wonderful cup of coffee and I think the oil made me lose two pounds. Healthy oils: NO CANOLA. NO CORN. NO PALM.

My water is filtered. ( I add apple cider vinegar and honey/ceylon cinnamon instead of deadly colas. ) For washing and drinking. My bottled water is Volvic or Fiji or from home. Sprouts are the best on salads. THE BEST. I make my own salad dressing. Raw dairy (just know the farmer and make sure cows are CLEAN and tests are available for batches)

I sleep on a wood bed with NO metal. No cell phone in room. NO computer in room. NO TV. NO CORDLESS PHONE. I do not own a microwave. I do NOT have wifi. No cable tv. It is antenna. I have salt lamps going and air cleaner that emits negative ions. I jump on a mini trampoline in my room or in the garage when it is nice out.

I go barefoot every chance I get and get LOTS of sunshine on my skin. I don't believe I had melanoma...but that's my opinion. Humans need SUN. Lots of it. Just don't burn.

I do NOT take Lipitor. It's a crock. My cholesterol is fine. The low number that is unrealistic is causing everyone to have brain issues. The number was lowered to usher in the dangerous drugs. At least that is what I believe.

Also said no to a hysterectomy for fibroid tumors even though a doctor said, "you don't need it anymore, get rid of it." Got off the niferex iron meds that were BAD and recalled/removed. Did alot of molasses, and whatever I could think of to alleviate iron loss and just made the best of it for a couple years until menopause kicked in. That part those doctors *five, said I didn't need and wanted soooo bad to remove still has a purpose HERS Foundation: Hysterectomy, Hysterectomy Alternatives, Hysterectomy Consequences I thank GOD I found that site and the information.

No longer married. Might take up farming.

Doctors push drugs and tests/surgery. Not nutrition. Shame on them all for that. Karma can be rough, I have read.

Last edited by hellothereIN; 01-20-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 AM

15,630 posts, read 10,383,806 times
Diagnosed Hyperthyroid/Graves disease 2 1/2 years ago. Graves caused so many problems: hypertension, terrible insomnia, no energy, stomach issues, hair loss, very high heart rate, on and on. I was in bad shape.

After thyroidectomy, I went gluten free, cut most sugar and alcohol from diet, made sleeping 8 hours priority. I've always exercised and continue to do so.

The difference diet and thyroid balance have made are amazing. Sleep great now!, digestion issues disappeared, energy returned, hair healthy, skin clear

Maintaining health is work! When young, our body compensates. After 40, good health must be earned.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-21-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Yes.
I'm as healthy as a horse for years now.
That's all I'm going to say, tho.
No MDs did it either! I'll say that much.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 PM

So it seems some of us have improved our health through diet and exercise..and?

For me, it's been eating a whole foods diet (lots of veggies and fiber), plenty of exercise, supplements and quitting smoking.

All the frequent colds and "itis" ailments have gone. Used to get bronchitis, sinusitis, arthritis, diverticulitis, etc. No more.

Pretty amazing--made a believer out of me.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 AM

13 posts, read 20,715 times
Yoga serves the body in several ways. Health practitioners and doctors recommend yoga to reduce stress, which can compromise the neuroendocrine and immune systems. Yoga can stimulate the bones to retain calcium, provided the body gets enough calcium in the first place. It does this through various weight-bearing poses like arm balances, standing poses that affect the whole spine, arms, shoulders, elbows, legs, knees, ankles, and feet. Regular yoga practice can give us confidence and stability as we move through the world.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanharper805 View Post
Yoga serves the body in several ways. Health practitioners and doctors recommend yoga to reduce stress, which can compromise the neuroendocrine and immune systems. Yoga can stimulate the bones to retain calcium, provided the body gets enough calcium in the first place. It does this through various weight-bearing poses like arm balances, standing poses that affect the whole spine, arms, shoulders, elbows, legs, knees, ankles, and feet. Regular yoga practice can give us confidence and stability as we move through the world.
You're so right! I've had a yoga practice for 7 years and it's improved my BP and my sleep--and it's helped me stay supple and have good balance.

On another note, I ran across finding from two large studies done with Seventh Day Adventists in California...most of whom were vegetarians...the findings were startling:

Death rates from all cancers was 60% lower for Adventist men and 76% lower for Adventist women

-Lung cancer 21% lower
-Colorectal cancer 62% lower
-Breast cancer 85% lower
-Coronary heart disease 66% lower for Adventist men, 98% lower for Adventist women

And they lived longer (up to 10 years) than the average population...

Old 01-23-2014, 12:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I have actually tried to switch to a healthier eating lifestyle. I am also exercising. I certainly feel better, that is for sure.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have actually tried to switch to a healthier eating lifestyle. I am also exercising. I certainly feel better, that is for sure.
Way to go! You're on the wellness road!

Another benefit I was happy to discover is: Just added up my grocery bill charges ( I charge my groceries on my credit card to get the rebate) for the past month...since I switched to a mostly vegetarian diet, my bills for food have shrunk. One-third less than previous months. Guess I never realized how pricey meat, poultry and such were...

Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,671 times
I am trying to rid my life of all meat products, chicken, etc. Still eating fish right now but trying to move toward total vegetarianism. It makes such total sense to me and I know I feel better when I am not consuming flesh. Thanks for all the posters' information here! It's very inspiring and encouraging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine