Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 03:39 PM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

I saw a show on TV in which a doctor was advising that certain foods could reduce stomach acid. Some of these were coconut water and bananas, and avocadoes. Ads I've seen have advocated aloe as a "cure" for acid reflux.
I take Nexium, but sometimes have episodes despite taking it, so I am open to consuming things that will help to counteract it. I just bought some aloe/coconut water, but it is pricy, so it has to work or I won't buy it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,069 times
It may take time. I was on ecpensive meds and a no spice diet for YEARS to no avail.
I began probiotics, supplements and switched to organic food.
Strange enough, I was cured within weeks.
Nine yeard later...still no gerd.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,315 times
I have been using activated charcoal, and it wipes out reflux, gas, and upset stomach in just a few minutes. So glad our naturopath recommended this to us.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
I chew on dgl whenever I have acid problems. the dr. once gave me Nexium and it made it worse.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:12 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I saw a show on TV in which a doctor was advising that certain foods could reduce stomach acid. Some of these were coconut water and bananas, and avocadoes. Ads I've seen have advocated aloe as a "cure" for acid reflux.
I take Nexium, but sometimes have episodes despite taking it, so I am open to consuming things that will help to counteract it. I just bought some aloe/coconut water, but it is pricy, so it has to work or I won't buy it again.
I feel for you! My acid reflux was a rare side-effect of my RNY gastric bypass and I lived with it for 13 loooong years. I took Nexium, Prolosec, Gaviscon, Vinegar, charcoal, and many more but I ended up with severe gastritis (verified by Endoscopy) and it was not only causing Pre-Barrettes Esophogus, but I have damage to my esophagus where it connects with my airway from all the times, during the nights of 13 yrs, that the acid SHOT UP and into my lungs. I finally went to a local Barriatric Surgeon and he moved the roux limb father down from where it was and it is now 2.5 yrs that I have no more reflux...NONE...ZERO. Whatever he did stopped my weight loss but I have not gained one pound back, either (I'd lost 212 lbs).
Why not find out if it can be fixed by one of the out-patient surgeries they do now for reflux and possibly be DONE with it? You'll have to do the research, but I do know there are several types of new reflux surgeries and I am telling you I am so happy not to have to take any of those proton pump inhibitor meds any more...they never really did the trick for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine