Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,590,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Good point. Subtle difference.

Nobody knows what activates the dormant Chicken Pox virus to cause Shingles. The Old Wives' tale is that "stress" does it, but little real evidence for that. Could it be re- exposure to active Varicella? Maybe, but shingles is more common among BabyBoomers than previous generations and the younger folks have had vaccination against Varicella, so less exposure.???

It's probably that the Varicella genome has mutated so the Baby Boomers have a different strain more likely to activate than other generations.

How effective is the vaccine for shingles? The first one was ~50% (RRR) effective compared to placebo. The absolute risk reduction (ARR) was only ~0.5%-- 1.1% of controls got shingles each yr, while 0.6% of vaccinated still got shingles. The newer shot is more effective, but we're still talking about a fraction of 1% improvements in risk reduction....Do you need to wear a bullet proof vest?...Yes, if you wind up getting shot in the chest. No, if you don't. You decide.

As far as prevention goes-- it has been difficult to determine, given that there are so few cases, no short term study is powerful enough to differentiate between treatment vs chance. Do whatever makes you feel good. You're the only one you have to please.
What? Gen X and the vast majority of millennials are not immunized against chicken pox. The vaccine came out in 1995, after most millennials would have been exposed. I have 3 late gen x friends who have gotten shingles. One more than one time. One takes immunosuppressants, so that is not surprising, but the other two do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one knows exactly what causes the virus to reactivate, but for whatever reason the immune system is no longer able to keep it in check. Stress can certainly affect immune function, but it is not the only thing that does. A big factor with shingles is age: the older you get, the higher the risk. Immune function declines with age, no matter how many supplements you take.
More reason for older folks to supplement to keep a strong immune system and keep a calm in their bodies.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are no specific supplements that will do that and no way to completely eliminate "stress".

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...-immune-system
Oh if a person is motivated they can do miracles with their minds. The lazy way out is a drug of some sort and that's the majority of our population. The aging group mostly love their docs. There are exceptions once they finally wake up. And I hang with some pretty awake seniors.

A major way to get the body into a "calmed" state is daily meditation. Get into it, vs watching mindless tv all day. Many/most seniors have tv's going all day, change, make meditation a big part of your life.

As far as "completely" eliminating anything in my mind is death. As long as we're breathing something is going to bother us, but it's to what degree?????

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-21-2019 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 05:15 AM

10,188 posts, read 6,242,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh if a person is motivated they can do miracles with their minds. The lazy way out is a drug of some sort and that's the majority of our population. The aging group mostly love their docs. There are exceptions once they finally wake up. And I hang with some pretty awake seniors.

A major way to get the body into a "calmed" state is daily meditation. Get into it, vs watching mindless tv all day. Many/most seniors have tv's going all day, change, make meditation a big part of your life.

As far as "completely" eliminating anything in my mind is death. As long as we're breathing something is going to bother us, but it's to what degree?????
Most people do not understand what "meditation" can be. Yesterday had to drive to the store to get an ingredient for dinner. Rushing, but on the way home, I pulled off the side of the road, sat in my car for 10 minutes, and just looked at the beautiful fall foliage all around me. Very calming. Stop, and "smell the roses". Dinner, and husband, can wait.

Anything can be meditation.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:20 PM

Oh meditation can be many ways, my mother didn't know it but her rosary was a form of meditation. Meditation in the U.S. is New Age but it's been in the world for probably 1000's of years. I remember getting to know TM back in the 70's....

Old 10-22-2019, 03:48 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,474,267 times
Nutrients/supplements. This not a vaccine thread and this is Alternative Medicine. Anyone trying to turn this into a vaccine thread is going against the rules and will receive an infraction.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:37 PM

9,756 posts, read 7,573,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Most people do not understand what "meditation" can be. Yesterday had to drive to the store to get an ingredient for dinner. Rushing, but on the way home, I pulled off the side of the road, sat in my car for 10 minutes, and just looked at the beautiful fall foliage all around me. Very calming. Stop, and "smell the roses". Dinner, and husband, can wait.

Anything can be meditation.
Exactly! We drove 9 hours on Sunday and chose back routes through the mountains and forests and both my husband and I were so at peace and in awe of the beautiful world we live in. It was so calming, made the trip seem like no big deal.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:19 AM

68 posts, read 50,646 times
Lysine, Vitamin C, B-vitamins, and whatever you can do to naturally eliminate stress.

IV Ozone Therapy will eliminate the shingles virus entirely.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,490,062 times
Sleep. It hits older people more because they're weaker and more prone to having problems sleeping uninterrrupted during the night which disrupts the metabolism.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4839876/

I've had shingles when I was starting up a new department. Stress, lack of sleep, fatigue, and lack of exercise were the obvious causes.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:20 AM

9,756 posts, read 7,573,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Sleep. It hits older people more because they're weaker and more prone to having problems sleeping uninterrrupted during the night which disrupts the metabolism.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4839876/

I've had shingles when I was starting up a new department. Stress, lack of sleep, fatigue, and lack of exercise were the obvious causes.
Good article. Good sleep is key to preventing many health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine