Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times

Advertisements

I have had issues with borderline high cholesterol since my early 30's.

It hovered right around 195ish until menopause started last Fall--then it shot up to 255.

CoQ10, flax seed oil and increasing the duration of daily exercise for 3 months lowered it to 250.

Geez. I'm on Lipitor and wish that I did not have to take it as it makes me foggy.

Both of my parents have high cholesterol.

I have a BMI of 21, am a vegetarian, and exercise daily. I am about the last person you would expect to have an issue with high cholesterol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:36 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

It hovered right around 195ish until menopause started last Fall--then it shot up to 255.

CoQ10, flax seed oil and increasing the duration of daily exercise for 3 months lowered it to 250.

Geez. I'm on Lipitor and wish that I did not have to take it as it makes me foggy.

I have a BMI of 21, am a vegetarian, and exercise daily. I am about the last person you would expect to have an issue with high cholesterol.
Some of us just have it for no known reason. (Although I do think that the doctors could figure it out if they had time/really wanted to.) Mine was even worse than yours when I went last week. I can't take statins and the medicine he prescribed is almost $700! They tried to substitute some powdered stuff with aspartame and artificial colors and I called the dr and told them I can't take it. I have so many allergies to artificial ingredients that I know I'd have a reaction to at least one of them. Why does a powder have to contain fake coloring and fake sweetener? If it didn't have the colors and the aspartame, I was going to put it into a fruit smoothie.

Like you, I take CoQ10, exercise, am not overweight, and what I eat has absolutely no effect at all.
However, no one in my family has ever had high cholesterol, just me.

I think my insurance company will accept some kind of waiver so that I can get the pills the dr prescribed without paying $700. Yet I wonder why some of us have this uncontrollable high cholesterol.

I don't take flax oil anymore. Fish oil did lower the high triglycerides from last time though.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
It runs in my family and diet didn't help. My cholesterol was 305 and I lowered it with gugulipid supplements. They are inexpensive and work well. They are used a lot in Europe and Asia. Available at nutrition centers or on line.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
For whatever it's worth:

The Cholesterol Myths - Uffe Ravnskov

Old 05-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,871 times
You could try a supplement called berberine. I take 1500 mg a day in three doses of 500 mg. My total cholesterol went from about 225-230 to 165 in about six months. Don't remember the ldl and hdl numbers, but I was told they were both good, too. My doctor had wanted me on a statin before, but I couldn't tolerate it.

Last edited by New Wave Carpetbagger; 05-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Error

Old 05-06-2017, 08:37 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
I had a terrible time with statins. Lipitor got me to the point where I was sleeping more than 12 hours a day. If I walked to the mailbox and back, I would have to take a nap. So they changed me to Pravastatin, and with that I began getting the severe leg cramps.

Then they changed me to finofibric acid. No side effects for me, and it did a quite job of bringing down my cholesterol.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:59 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Anyone's doctor ever test your homocysteine levels?

https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Revolut.../dp/0060929731

And Yes, I bought the book probably 10 yrs ago. My homocysteine levels were high when first tested.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
You could try a supplement called berberine. I take 1500 mg a day in three doses of 500 mg. My total cholesterol went from about 225-230 to 165 in about six months. Don't remember the ldl and hdl numbers, but I was told they were both good, too. My doctor had wanted me on a statin before, but I couldn't tolerate it.
Never heard of it. How did you find out about it? Any side effects?

It does sound promising:

Clinical Applications for Berberine | Natural Medicine Journal

Old 05-08-2017, 07:33 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

Its likely genetic in your case (given your health, diet and family history).

How much soluble fiber have you got in your diet (e.g. OJ, oats etc). Keep up the exercise for sure. If you naturally have an elevated cholesterol (I'm assuming you are talking about elevated LDL) its more of a matter of controlling it and stopping it going higher than really bringing it down.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:44 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,871 times
The most common side effect is that some people have stomach issues, such as nausea or diarrhea, until they adjust to it or find the right dose. I know someone who only takes about 400 mg per day and had a 40 point reduction in cholesterol and enough of a blood glucose reduction to go from a diagnosis of type II diabetes to prediabetes. I started with 1000 mg, and after not having side effects began taking 1500 mg. At one point I dropped back down to 1000 mg for about two weeks because I was feeling queasy, but when I tried 1500 mg again, I was okay. I've been on 1500 mg for the past several months now with no problems. It's a bit of trial and error to find out the best dose depending on the individual. I've read that there can be benefits from as little as 250 or 300 mg per day if that's all that someone can tolerate without having side effects.

I found out about it when researching metabolic syndrome after deciding I probably had it (long story).

Last edited by New Wave Carpetbagger; 05-08-2017 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Extra info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine