Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:11 PM

19 posts, read 24,178 times

Advertisements

Someone told me I needed to do this? Anyone know how to do it? The reasons why someone would tell me I needed to do it?

Last edited by KCDS75; 02-03-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 05:58 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I am an irish woman from a very irish family. I think 'detox the liver' means "givin' up thee spirits''. ?

Last edited by nanannie; 02-03-2008 at 07:19 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 24,178 times
I do not drink at all, ever. So I dont think that was what they were saying. It was some kind of natural remedy or process (for healthy living).

Old 02-03-2008, 09:33 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
The herb most commonly used for liver cleansing in Milk Thistle. I have used it before. It seem to boost my energy level a little bit.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
This post is a bit old, but in case you're still wondering..I've done the liver detox. It is really quite easy. Usually it is suggested that you do a kidney cleanse beforehand b/c the release of toxins from the liver puts quite a load on your kidneys so it's better if they are in good clean shape when this starts.

Here's how I do it (based on detox books I own):
1. Stop eating at 2pm
2. at 6pm drink 3/4 cup water with 1 tablespoon Epsom Salt (food grade obviously!)
3. At 8pm drink 3/4 cup water w/1 T Epsom Salt again
4. At 10pm drink mixture of 1/2 cup olive oil and juice of one grapefruit, freshly squeezed. (I know this sounds gross but actually the Epsom Salt is worse. This isn't as bad as it sounds!). Go directly to bed and lie totally flat on your back for at least 20 min. Then get into whatever sleep position you like and go to sleep.
5. At or after 6am next morning drink 3/4 c. water with 1 T. Epsom Salt again
6. Two hours later drink 3/4 c. water w/1 T. Epsom Salt again. Wait another two hours before eating.

So...basically you'll get pretty bad diarrhea from all this, and also you will see many many little green round things which are stones clearing from your liver and gallbladder. There will likely be between 100 and 1000 as long as you did exactly as outlined above.

Oh, also some recommend L-ornithine (4 capsules) at 10 pm in order to help you sleep. I've never needed them.

You can get way more info. on this at curezone.com or in the book "The Detox Book".

As mentioned, Milk Thistle is an excellent herb for the liver and one to do after cleansing the liver. You can repeat the cleanse one every 1-2 weeks 2-3 times. Be sure to stop all medications (unless totally necessary) as well as all vitamins, herbs (inclduing Milk Thistle) while doing the cleanse.

And a little disclaimer--I'm not a dr. and not giving medical advice here, so look to other sources for more info. This is what I've always done based on what I know.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:13 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
My 2 cents...

Your body is already a very efficient detoxing machine, that is one of its major natural functions.

Don't put in too many unneccessary toxins that your liver has to battle with(caffine, alcohol, cigarettes, white sugar, white flour, processed foods, fried foods, salt), eat a wide range of fresh foods, fruits and veggies, drink plenty of water and get some fresh air and exercise every day.

Not a miracle cure, but one that allows your body to continue its daily natural miracles

The occasional detox will not lead to a permanently healthy liver - you need to keep to a regular healthy diet for life to achieve that!

Old 02-26-2019, 11:27 AM

233 posts, read 155,195 times
Default detoxing liver

Some do know, and the methods vary.

Milk thistle is well known, but Aloe can do it as well, it's an old Ayurvedic remedy. And there are likely other combinations that may or may not work as well.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
Some do know, and the methods vary.

Milk thistle is well known, but Aloe can do it as well, it's an old Ayurvedic remedy. And there are likely other combinations that may or may not work as well.
Just FYI this thread is more than a decade old...in case you were awaiting a response from the above posters.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:08 PM

233 posts, read 155,195 times
Default old thread

Maybe it'll wake some geezers up, maybe not.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I had high liver enzymes one time from a medication but the problem resolved itself once I was taken off the medication.

Some people do have liver troubles. Maybe they drank too much or consumed too many fatty foods or were exposed to some toxin. Imagine the soldiers who are sprayed in chemical warfare or even people who get some sort of overexposure to something in the workplace. Fumes from something in the lab, the sort of thing where they have to evacuate the building.

In cases like those, I could see taking milk thistle or something to help with the liver. Milk thistle is proven. In the olden days, people used to do a spring cleaning! They used to pick the dandelion leaves in the spring time and either make tea from them or cook them. I don't really know, I just know that dandelion was the cure in the spring.

And they used to have dandelion and burdock. I don't know much about that either except now it's a soda. But like coca cola, it started out as a medicine. Burdock is a root, I believe. The old theory was that all winter you have been filling up on fatty foods to keep warm and that takes a little bit of a toll on the liver. So to rev up the liver, they would make a spring tonic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine