Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

There are so many negatives to NOT getting good sleep. Sleep is so healing.

I start my remedy about 3 hrs before I want to hit the pillow.

I probably started having sleep issues at about 61 which hit with Fibro syndrome. That was in mid 1999. I worked hard at getting sleep issues fixed. With the help of a friend, we came up with this combo:

7:30PM
1/2 to 3/4mg Melatonin (1mg Soure Naturals, break to get my dose) LOW DOSE works best with me.
500mg Inositol and or 500mg Gaba
Learning what works best for your body.
I've learned to work with these 2 "calmers" so use thru the
day too.

10:30-11PM
500mg Inositol and usually 1 Calms Forte' (homeopathic)

All the above can be adjusted for the person.

This combo gives me 8-10 hrs pretty good sleep.

I've never taken pharma sleep drugs and worked long and hard to get the above combo that works for me.

If I cannot get back to sleep after bathroom run at 3AM or so, I take another Inositol or Calms and this puts me back to sleep good. Lately, I don't need help during middle of night.

Besides Fibro "stuff", OA lives in me bodywide, and a mess from hip replacement in 2010. Left me with nerve damage, IT band damage, shorter leg....good grief.....

Oh, and 2 Advil at 11PM, so no pain during the night.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I probably started having sleep issues at about 61 which hit with Fibro syndrome. That was in mid 1999. I worked hard at getting sleep issues fixed. With the help of a friend, we came up with this combo:

1/2 to 3/4mg Melatonin (1mg Soure Naturals, break to get my dose) LOW DOSE works best with me.
day too.

I've never taken pharma sleep drugs and worked long and hard to get the above combo that works for me.

If I cannot get back to sleep after bathroom run at 3AM or so, I take another Inositol or Calms and this puts me back to sleep good. Lately, I don't need help during middle of night.

Besides Fibro "stuff", OA lives in me bodywide, and a mess from hip replacement in 2010. Left me with nerve damage, IT band damage, shorter leg....good grief.....

I wonder if the Inositol would help my daughter with her panic and anxiety. Worth a try, college is wearing on her nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 09:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Thank you for taking the time to write this all out!!!

*Hug* and rep.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:39 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I love Inositol -- Now if someone can give me a remedy to get rid of STIFF arthritic joints...anyone

Poppy, I use a heating pad -- my best friend on my bed. I'm one of those who never bought into the microwave world.... I keep my advil down as best I can considering a bodywide OA mess.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:55 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I use this when I'm having trouble sleeping. True Calm
It helps me to relax enough to fall asleep particularly if I'm having trouble turning my brain off at bed time. I also use melatonin when needed. Insomnia is the WORST!

Old 02-02-2016, 12:44 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
I love Inositol -- Now if someone can give me a remedy to get rid of STIFF arthritic joints...anyone

Poppy, I use a heating pad -- my best friend on my bed. I'm one of those who never bought into the microwave world.... I keep my advil down as best I can considering a bodywide OA mess.
Gosh I bet! You do very little for OA, I have a friend who takes round the clock pain meds. I think it's great being reduced to a heating pad and Advil. Kudos to you, I sympathize.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:

day too.

The tyranny of insomnia.

I thought I had tried everything until I read this post. I HAVE tried almost everything on the list but not all at once. Valerian and melatonin don't work for me but Calms Forte used to work. It's a wonderful remedy.

Prescription gabapentin works for me but it tends to stop working after one or two nights. I hadn't thought about inositol--so THAT is something I will be trying very soon. As you say, each individual needs to find their own combination that will work for them.

MissTerri, that True Calm sounds like a good idea too.

I know you've probably tried Rhus Tox for arthritis?

Old 02-18-2016, 08:54 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
If you are taking anti-depressants or anti-anxiety drugs like Valium or Ativan please be careful taking GAGA, inositol, 5HTP and melantonin. They do mix well. Ditto for the Melantonin.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If you are taking anti-depressants or anti-anxiety drugs like Valium or Ativan please be careful taking GAGA, inositol, 5HTP and melantonin. They do mix well. Ditto for the Melantonin.
You mean they do NOT mix well, probably.

Last night I tried a new remedy from the list. I often take Rx gabapentin for sleep but it doesn't put me completely to sleep. So to really put me to sleep I take a muscle relaxer, tizanidine, that was prescribed for OA along with it. My dr is fine with that combination.

Last night I took the gabapentin (I take it early because with me, it takes about 5-6 hours to kick in) and at bedtime I tried inositol for the first time. Nothing else. I never knew what hit me! Woke up and it was noon!

I think maybe I need to adjust the dose. But I'm so surprised that I actually slept! NOTHING makes me sleep.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I use this when I'm having trouble sleeping. True Calm
It helps me to relax enough to fall asleep particularly if I'm having trouble turning my brain off at bed time. I also use melatonin when needed. Insomnia is the WORST!
This sounds good. Here are the ingredients:

Niacin (as Niacinamide) 45 mg
Vitamin B6 (from Pyridoxine HCl) 8 mg
Magnesium
(from Magnesium Bisglycinate) 6.5 mg
GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) 200 mg
Glycine 200 mg
Taurine 200 mg
Inositol 100 mg
Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) (Root) 25 mg

I take a lot more magnesium than that. I take magnesium glycinate and L-glycine has been proven to help with sleep. (Of course it never helped ME, not even at the high recommended dose in the study.)

Valerian root does absolutely nothing for me but I think it's supposed to raise levels of gaba.

Gaba didn't do anything for me but Rx Gabapentin makes me feel drunk and dizzy for several hours; after that, if I take something else with it, it relaxes me for sleep.

Taurine, I've taken it but don't know think it helped with sleep.

B vitamins never helped me with sleep.

Inositol is NEW to me and I need to see how much of it is right in my case. Last night I took 600 mg and slept about ten hours! I'm not 100% sure it was the inositol but it's looking that way.

Thank you to people who have mentioned inositol. I'm hopeful--also hopeful that it will help others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine