Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 01:49 AM

83 posts, read 69,038 times

Advertisements

When I was in my 20s I would get sick a lot. Every 2 or 3 months I would get a cold. Maybe every couple years I would get flu like symptoms. After a lot of study I started to apply a lot of things to improve my health. I started meditation, tai chi, dancing, supplementation and many more things. Ever since doing these things I haven't gotten a cold or flu in over 5 years.

I'm starting to wonder if we've been lied to by scientist about the cold and flu. I've read that if you over stress your body that you can get cold and flu symptoms. That would make sense since vitamin C can help reverse stress due to adrenal fatigue. It seems to me that the western doctors are wrong when they automatically assume people must have a cold or flu and automatically give them medicine for it. Often I doubt people actually even have a cold or the flu and that what's really happened is they have over stressed their body. I'm beginning to wonder if all we've been told about viruses is a complete lie or just based on ignorance of scientist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:10 PM

83 posts, read 69,038 times
I'm thinking about joining the immortality forum.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,844,640 times
There isn't anything doctors give for cold, except the bad doctors who give antibiotics for anything/everything.

Of course stress can make your body act poorly leaving you susceptible to many illnesses. Influenza is a real ailment and can be pinpointed now by taking nasal swabs that can be ID'd in a doctors office. Colds are a little more hard to pin down in my opinion, they can be caused by many things, from germs to seasonal allergies that seem like colds.

Did you know that certain blood types are more susceptible to getting sick and even having higher mortality? Apparently RH positive live longer whereas Rh negative have greater disease risk. O type blood has some positive health traits. I am not an expert on this but read a paper discussing some but not all blood types.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,852,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
There isn't anything doctors give for cold, except the bad doctors who give antibiotics for anything/everything.

Of course stress can make your body act poorly leaving you susceptible to many illnesses. Influenza is a real ailment and can be pinpointed now by taking nasal swabs that can be ID'd in a doctors office. Colds are a little more hard to pin down in my opinion, they can be caused by many things, from germs to seasonal allergies that seem like colds.

Did you know that certain blood types are more susceptible to getting sick and even having higher mortality? Apparently RH positive live longer whereas Rh negative have greater disease risk. O type blood has some positive health traits. I am not an expert on this but read a paper discussing some but not all blood types.
Yes I read that those with type A blood are more likely to get cancer. . . and guess what. . . you guessed it.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:25 PM

54 posts, read 77,873 times
I've been questioning the western medicine approach for what I have too. I don't want to be dependent on Proton Pump Inhibitors for the rest of my life. Western medicine doesn't focus on curing it, they just mask the symptoms.

I wish there could be a balance between the western medicine approach(es) and herbal.

Unrelated to my stomach problems- I had swollen tonsils once (it was not a bad case of it) and I drank licorice tea to help. My GP at the time was ok with it. (I'm switching because of them turning irresponsible..)

Old 02-15-2016, 05:07 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,719,161 times
You might find this type of medicine interesting:
functional medicine.
The concept is new to me.

Also "integrative" medicine is sup'd to combine western and eastern philosophies/treatment.

I have not tried either one.

functional:
Functional medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a systems-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. It is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. Functional medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, functional medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual. - See more at: https://www.functionalmedicine.org/a....bpd5qfWH.dpuf

integrative medicine:
Both doctors and patients alike are bonding with the philosophy of integrative medicine and its whole-person approach -- designed to treat the person, not just the disease.
IM, as it's often called, depends on a partnership between the patient and the doctor, where the goal is to treat the mind, body, and spirit, all at the same time.
While some of the therapies used may be nonconventional, a guiding principle within integrative medicine is to use therapies that have some high-quality evidence to support them.

What Is Integrative Medicine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rose View Post
I've been questioning the western medicine approach for what I have too. I don't want to be dependent on Proton Pump Inhibitors for the rest of my life. Western medicine doesn't focus on curing it, they just mask the symptoms.

I wish there could be a balance between the western medicine approach(es) and herbal.

Unrelated to my stomach problems- I had swollen tonsils once (it was not a bad case of it) and I drank licorice tea to help. My GP at the time was ok with it. (I'm switching because of them turning irresponsible..)

Old 02-15-2016, 12:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,859,680 times
Integrative MD is the only kind I will see at that point in my long life. Just thinking lately, if she stopped accepting medicare, I would continue with her and pay out of pocket. I seen and been thru enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine