Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 PM

706 posts, read 757,651 times

Advertisements

Interesting discussion...

I've used CS for years as an internal antibiotic and topical remedy. I only use it as I would any other antibiotic (use only when necessary, and do a full course of 7-10 days). I have most definitely *not* turned blue, nor has my son. Neither has my mother, and she uses it more than we do. It's been a blessing on several occasions because kids don't normally swallow pills--my kid still doesn't. CS is extremely effective, and is a threat to the pharmaceutical company. Silver has been used extensively in the past; its use only fell out of favor when the pharma companies came along and the Rothchilds and Rockefellers of the world made it taboo to use "alternative" medicines.

Yes, if you take too much of the wrong kind of silver for 10-20 years straight, you will turn blue. That would be your own stupid fault, though, for not doing your homework....

I alternate medicines to make sure the pathogens aren't getting too used to any one of them. For my son who still doesn't swallow pills, I brew herbal teas and serve them with local raw honey, and I also give him MMS in the form of "Humble Health drinks". He loves them and they knock out colds/flu really well, along with the silver and herbal teas.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:27 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No evidence YET. That's what I mean by "it's being studied." There's always the possibility that by combining it with something else, modifying it, it could be more useful. This is alternative medicine so there's always the "what if?" factor.
There is no use for silver taken internally. The applications being studied do not involve having people eat silver (or have it injected). It is toxic when administered that way.

Exposure-Related Health Effects of Silver and Silver Compounds: A Review

"The adverse effects of chronic exposure to silver are a permanent bluish-gray discoloration of the skin (argyria) or eyes (argyrosis). Most studies discuss cases of argyria and argyrosis that have resulted primarily from exposure to the soluble forms of silver. Besides argyria and argyrosis, exposure to soluble silver compounds may produce other toxic effects, including liver and kidney damage, irritation of the eyes, skin, respiratory, and intestinal tract, and changes in blood cells."

"Over the last several decades, the use of silver-containing medicinals prescribed by physicians decreased dramatically as the use of antibiotics increased. However, colloidal silver and silver salts are once again being promoted as a cure-all for various diseases. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ‘is not aware of any substantial scientific evidence that supports the use of over-the-counter colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts for disease conditions,’ and has declared that ‘all over-the-counter drug products containing colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts are not generally recognized as safe and effective’ (Federal Register, 1999). The majority of the authors of case studies involving medicinal exposure described in this paper cautioned against the long-term use of silver-containing preparations and also stressed the importance of eliminating their uncontrolled use. With a lack of regulations on food supplements, consumers are allowed to purchase products that are not approved by the FDA and that are potentially toxic. Since colloidal silver can be freely purchased as a supplement in health food stores and over the Internet, cases of argyria and argyrosis, like the ones described by Gulbranson et al. (2000), White et al. (2003) and Tomi et al. (2004), will most likely continue."

It's not a matter of "it works, we just do not know why". No one has shown that colloidal silver or nanosilver can treat infectious diseases when ingested and no one is likely to ever prove any of the claims for it.

It is irresponsible to promote that people eat colloidal silver or nanosilver.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no use for silver taken internally. The applications being studied do not involve having people eat silver (or have it injected). It is toxic when administered that way.

Exposure-Related Health Effects of Silver and Silver Compounds: A Review

"The adverse effects of chronic exposure to silver are a permanent bluish-gray discoloration of the skin (argyria) or eyes (argyrosis). Most studies discuss cases of argyria and argyrosis that have resulted primarily from exposure to the soluble forms of silver. Besides argyria and argyrosis, exposure to soluble silver compounds may produce other toxic effects, including liver and kidney damage, irritation of the eyes, skin, respiratory, and intestinal tract, and changes in blood cells."

"Over the last several decades, the use of silver-containing medicinals prescribed by physicians decreased dramatically as the use of antibiotics increased. However, colloidal silver and silver salts are once again being promoted as a cure-all for various diseases. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ‘is not aware of any substantial scientific evidence that supports the use of over-the-counter colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts for disease conditions,’ and has declared that ‘all over-the-counter drug products containing colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts are not generally recognized as safe and effective’ (Federal Register, 1999). The majority of the authors of case studies involving medicinal exposure described in this paper cautioned against the long-term use of silver-containing preparations and also stressed the importance of eliminating their uncontrolled use. With a lack of regulations on food supplements, consumers are allowed to purchase products that are not approved by the FDA and that are potentially toxic. Since colloidal silver can be freely purchased as a supplement in health food stores and over the Internet, cases of argyria and argyrosis, like the ones described by Gulbranson et al. (2000), White et al. (2003) and Tomi et al. (2004), will most likely continue."

It's not a matter of "it works, we just do not know why". No one has shown that colloidal silver or nanosilver can treat infectious diseases when ingested and no one is likely to ever prove any of the claims for it.

It is irresponsible to promote that people eat colloidal silver or nanosilver.
I think most of this has already been said. Also, I would trust the FDA about as far as I can throw them--they can be bought and sold--just like anyone else. They allow all sorts of additives in our foods that are banned in other countries, and that's just one example. The words, "is not aware of any substantial scientific evidence..." means that they don't know, and not knowing but wondering and experimenting is part of what alternative medicine is all about.

This is an interesting discussion about historical and anecdotal evidence and the possible future uses of silver and if anyone wants to start a negative discussion citing contrary scientific studies, they are welcome to do so--on one of the other forums in Health & Wellness. People in this sub forum do not have to be lectured. They are intelligent human beings who are capable of making up their own minds. Just because someone talks about something, it doesn't mean anyone on the forum is going to run out and do it. It is merely a discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine