U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:58 PM

910 posts, read 2,003,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm glad you got a lot of support from Wayne Dyer. He gave me support as did many other "new age" thinkers. This is the new age we live in and I choose this thinking vs thinking from the in the dark ages. Take care, glad you make your comments.
Glad he helped you as well. I also have read and own 3 of Louise Hay's books and one from Dr. Mona Lisa Schulz. The problem with New Age is that "anything goes" and there are too many even incompatible beliefs thrown together and while I understand to a degree your comment about "the dark ages" I feel there's so much truth in the Bible and the prophecies that I can't just throw it all way. The older I get though the more convinced I am that God is not exactly the way He's been depicted but He does exist and I believe my relationship with Him is still pretty good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 11:31 PM

28,189 posts, read 10,936,868 times
Reading thru this thread, and the statement:

"What others think of me is none of my business."

Is so true, if one can only get this thru their heads. This is one of the lessons I learned when I embraced Science of Mind in the 80's...a philosophy that has made my life so much easier.

Life is too short to carry around burdens to weigh us down. To live with guilt, fear, shame, letting others control us, etc etc etc. I grew up with those negatives and it took years to shed them. But I did.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:51 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,244,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
It can be incredibly hard to see Spirit in some people because they are so dark. I doubt Dyer wanted anyone to be a doormat. You should definitely speak up for yourself if you're being wronged by someone. Striking back may not be appropriate, but you should consider removing yourself from situations that are harmful or unproductive or unloving, if at all possible. Let's face it, some people are not of the type that it takes to be assertive and stand up for oneself. The best you can do in that situation is to leave and put yourself in a place where you're comfortable. I avoid going places that are filled with people who are very much unlike me. I avoid people that I don't mesh with, whenever possible. If I have to be around them, I just stay as calm as possible. However, my personality doesn't allow for me to be a doormat. I will stand my ground if I know I'm in the right or if I know that someone is trying to use or abuse me. Yes, it did take years to get here (and a few abusive relationships), but I'm glad I made it. Lol.
wow. You are so right. I see so many people put up with things I would not.
Some people ARE dark, but unfortunately we can not always remove ourselves from their presence.
So we have to try to abide them, without condemning them, or pandering to them.

But it does seem like sometimes standing up for oneself - one is seen as "aggressive". I am not a belligerent person, but I do not like to be badly treated!

Old 08-30-2016, 03:54 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,244,490 times
Sorry for the losses in your life.
Wish you the strength to cope.
Glad you found Dyer when you needed some help, and that he was useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Even though as a (struggling) Christian I couldn't agree with everything he said, he was of enormous help to me at a time when I really needed it. I had actually prayed desperately to God for help in trying to understand the death by cancer of my dearest uncle and then that night I "happened" onto one of his lectures on PBS, both channels that I got on cable, so I knew I should stop and listen even though for years I'd been warned about "New Age" stuff. As if he were speaking to me he said after just a couple of minutes of watching that no amount of tears (and grief) could possibly bring back someone we'd lost and that helped me deal with some guilt that I was feeling over not having called my uncle during his last few months of life (I just couldn't handle it so I kept putting it off). A couple of weeks later I got the news that my own mother (his sister) had just been diagnosed with breast cancer and his advise helped me cope with it and also with how it affected her when I went to help take care of her. She was really mean to me at one point, and her cruel and careless words had always had a profound effect on my self-esteem but the VHS tape I recorded of Dr. Dyer's lecture ("The Power of Intention") helped me deal with it. As if by coincidence, I found 2 of his first books among my uncle's possesions which were in my mother's apartment because he'd lived there before he died and I regretted not having read them later even though I'd seen them everywhere during the late '70s.

In 2005 I went to Hay House Radio - Radio For Your Soul where he had a weekly show, I found the link in the back of "The Power of Intention" book which I ordered online some time after recording the PBS show. One day I even called and was lucky enough to get to ask him a question about dealing with depression and his advice made so much sense that it helped me a lot. I later downloaded the show in MP3 and listened to it later on until a back-up portable hard drive my son sent me with my files from a netbook that crashed also failed. That same year another one of his books helped have strength while I sat by my father's death bed, and it helped me get through the following days when I was angry at my sisters for the way they'd treated him. I went on to read at least a couple more of his books after that and always gained something useful from each one of them, I also watched a couple more PBS specials, so it was a shock to learn about his death but I'll always remember him fondly and if by chance he was not right about Jesus/the Bible, I hope God will have mercy on his soul (as well as on mine).

Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,003,346 times
Thank you ellenrr, my mother also died 4 years later (accelerated by the mainstream treatments she chose to get) and spent her last year of life bedridden which was emotionally hard on everyone. From 2003 to 2008 my sisters and I experienced the loss of 5 loved ones, it was a really tough period of time for my extended family as 4 of them were on my mother's side. But I suppose things like that make us more compassionate and understanding of what others go through, I know most of us were motivated to learn more about taking better care of our own health too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine