Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

I've just gotten into essential oils more seriously (I have been using them for aromatherapy and making bath salts for years but have moved into topical and ingested use). I don't think they are a cure all for everything but I'm personally impressed with some of the things that they DO really seem to help.

For instance, I had a cold sore - put melaleuca (aka tea tree) oil on it and it was completely gone the next day. I also put a drop of that on two blemishes on my face for two or three days in a row and they completely cleared up in three days and were basically invisible the next day.

I had a headache one day that I couldn't shake - I was tired and I had also had three glasses of wine the night before. I had taken some aspirin and it hadn't helped. I rubbed a few drops of lavender and peppermint on my temples and the back of my neck and I am not kidding - within about five minutes that headache was completely gone.

Anyway, after trying those two things, I ordered some essential oils for hormonal balance, digestive stuff, relaxation, energizing, etc. and have been using them for about a week now and I am so impressed. Some of the "corrections" are mild or temporary (for instance muscle soreness is greatly helped by a mix of several oils but it returns by the next day - still, that temporary relief is terrific) but I could say the same thing about various over the counter stuff as well, and essential oils are more natural. Plus they smell better and are less expensive!

Tell me about your experiences or thoughts or opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 11:32 AM

706 posts, read 758,536 times
I own approximately 50 different EOs. I love using them in my homemade personal care products. I also use them in electric infusers. I only buy the organic EOs, whenever possible, because I do use them on my skin. I buy from Mountain Rose Herbs and Eden Botanicals. Between the two of them, I can find all my EOs in organic--though there are a few that you just can't get in that form, like Myrrh.

Quote:
I had a headache one day that I couldn't shake - I was tired and I had also had three glasses of wine the night before. I had taken some aspirin and it hadn't helped. I rubbed a few drops of lavender and peppermint on my temples and the back of my neck and I am not kidding - within about five minutes that headache was completely gone.
You might be sensitive to the added sulfites and other chemicals in the wine. I swore off wine for 2 decades because just one glass gave me a headache. I can now drink wine again because there are several organic ones on the market nowadays. They are hard to come by in some cities, unfortunately.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:46 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
My favorites are:

Oil of Oregano
Myrrh Tincture
Clove
The above 3 used for dental care.

Wintergreen
Tea Tree Oil
Lavender
Lemongrass

Old 06-18-2016, 12:32 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
I suffer from depression at times, and I use essential oils to lift my spirits and balance my moods. I especially like Vetiver, Rose, and Orange Blossom for that. Vetiver is fantastic and can help with general anxiety as well as with lingering effects from shock or trauma of all kinds.

I also use essential oils to support my immune system, especially in the winter. I like lavender and various mints for that.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I own approximately 50 different EOs. I love using them in my homemade personal care products. I also use them in electric infusers. I only buy the organic EOs, whenever possible, because I do use them on my skin. I buy from Mountain Rose Herbs and Eden Botanicals. Between the two of them, I can find all my EOs in organic--though there are a few that you just can't get in that form, like Myrrh.

You might be sensitive to the added sulfites and other chemicals in the wine. I swore off wine for 2 decades because just one glass gave me a headache. I can now drink wine again because there are several organic ones on the market nowadays. They are hard to come by in some cities, unfortunately.
I have some organic oils but I also have some that are from Eden's Garden that I like. I do make sure that any oil I buy is 100 percent certified therapeutic grade. None of their oils contain additives, bases, fillers or synthetics so I feel good about them. Their prices are really good and all the reviews I've read on them are good too. So we'll see. I have some DoTerra oils but dang it, they sure are expensive. They're wonderful, though.

I know I'm sensitive to the tannins in red wine. Not sure about the sulfites in white wine though. I do love me some wine, but I just can't drink more than two glasses of any of it - even over a long evening with food included - without getting a headache the next day. Blech, and that yucky wine aftertaste the next morning. I really hate that!!!

I bet I can find some organic wines at our premium grocery store. They carry just about everything anyone could want, and they have a large organic selection. I'll look for it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 06-18-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My favorites are:

Oil of Oregano
Myrrh Tincture
Clove
The above 3 used for dental care.

Wintergreen
Tea Tree Oil
Lavender
Lemongrass
I have all of those except myrrh bu I've ordered it.

I mixed up an energizer oil with clove, clary sage, and a touch of lemongrass. WOW. It is amazing and really seems to perk me up!

Old 06-18-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I suffer from depression at times, and I use essential oils to lift my spirits and balance my moods. I especially like Vetiver, Rose, and Orange Blossom for that. Vetiver is fantastic and can help with general anxiety as well as with lingering effects from shock or trauma of all kinds.

I also use essential oils to support my immune system, especially in the winter. I like lavender and various mints for that.

My daughter recommended vetiver and I ordered it and am waiting eagerly for it!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:42 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,761 times
I have just begun using them BIG TIME! (Topical and aromatherapy.)

I get confused as to carrier oils, recipes, etc. I understand there are ratios for EO and Carrier oils - it seems as if there is just so much product left if you only want to use once or twice for a particular symptom. I wish you could just mix the necessary EOs and apply to skin, but you cannot.

I have just recently started using a synergistic blend for broken spider veins near my right knee. Time will tell...

Old 06-18-2016, 07:26 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,101 times
Frankincense , oil of oregano , coconut oil (unrefined) are remarkable depending on application . Do your own study it will prove better than my articulation benefits.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
I have just begun using them BIG TIME! (Topical and aromatherapy.)

I get confused as to carrier oils, recipes, etc. I understand there are ratios for EO and Carrier oils - it seems as if there is just so much product left if you only want to use once or twice for a particular symptom. I wish you could just mix the necessary EOs and apply to skin, but you cannot.

I have just recently started using a synergistic blend for broken spider veins near my right knee. Time will tell...

LOL I just use unrefined coconut oil and mix up whatever I think will work best, in those tiny vials you can get with the roll on little tops. So far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine