Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Anyone can have my box of Sleepytime tea in they want it, lol. It didn't do anything. Maybe I would have to take it for months. Plain chamomile tea never did anything either.

I think I'll look for a stronger version of the passionflower and with nothing else in it.

Maybe I'll experiment again with GABA and Natural Calm. Not into using lavender as I think it interferes with hormones. Lots of research for all of us to find that perfect remedy that's custom made just for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 08:46 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Anyone can have my box of Sleepytime tea in they want it, lol. It didn't do anything. Maybe I would have to take it for months. Plain chamomile tea never did anything either.
We have an orphaned box of Sleepytime too. I used to drink it every now and then because it did relax me, but didn't make me sleepy. It does help a lot of insomniacs though. I don't like chamomile; it makes my blood sugar and blood pressure drop which would be great if they were high, but they are normal so it makes me feel awful.

Quote:
I think I'll look for a stronger version of the passionflower and with nothing else in it.
Yes, you are right about passionflower and GABA. If GABA is your only issue, then passionflower alone should work for you.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 AM

Thought I'd mention something else because I don't know if it's common knowledge.

Different parts of a plant treat different things. For insomnia, you want the blooms of the passion, chamomile and linden plants.

One way to get exactly what you need, short of growing the plants yourself or harvesting them in the wild, is to buy just the dried flowers (or fresh when in season) in bulk, available from one pound and up. You can then use the buds for tea, tincture, grind into a powder or whatever.

Chamomile blooms are easy to find, but it might be more difficult to find just passion flower blooms alone because most modern herbalists use the whole above-ground plant. If you have to get a mix of the whole plant, you can see if there is a good quantity of blooms in the mix. Some of the prepared remedies may only contain leaves and stems or may have fillers or contaminants (weeds, etc).

Dried blooms in bulk can be contaminated with other plant bits too, but at least you can easily spot and remove them. A few weeks ago I was searching for a source to buy echinacea supplements when I came across something from the University of Maryland. They had tested 11 supplement brands but only 4 actually contained echinacea. I ended up buying dried echinacea in bulk.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Thought I'd mention something else because I don't know if it's common knowledge.

Different parts of a plant treat different things. For insomnia, you want the blooms of the passion, chamomile and linden plants.

One way to get exactly what you need, short of growing the plants yourself or harvesting them in the wild, is to buy just the dried flowers (or fresh when in season) in bulk, available from one pound and up. You can then use the buds for tea, tincture, grind into a powder or whatever.

Chamomile blooms are easy to find, but it might be more difficult to find just passion flower blooms alone because most modern herbalists use the whole above-ground plant. If you have to get a mix of the whole plant, you can see if there is a good quantity of blooms in the mix. Some of the prepared remedies may only contain leaves and stems or may have fillers or contaminants (weeds, etc).

Dried blooms in bulk can be contaminated with other plant bits too, but at least you can easily spot and remove them. A few weeks ago I was searching for a source to buy echinacea supplements when I came across something from the University of Maryland. They had tested 11 supplement brands but only 4 actually contained echinacea. I ended up buying dried echinacea in bulk.
I had to buy it online and ended up buying a tincture. I chose one with a lot of positive reviews--if you can really trust those reviews. We shall see! (Next year maybe I'll try growing a passion flower vine, LOL. My sister grew one once--grew right up to the roof.)

Old 09-05-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had to buy it online and ended up buying a tincture. I chose one with a lot of positive reviews--if you can really trust those reviews. We shall see! (Next year maybe I'll try growing a passion flower vine, LOL. My sister grew one once--grew right up to the roof.)
That's good. Hopefully it's a quality product and helps. I think it was wise to go with a tincture instead of pills or powder.

I looked at some of the dried bulk passionflower listings on Amazon and frankly they don't look that great anyway. Lots of woody stems.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:08 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
We grow over 20 different species of passionflower vines on our property. About two weeks back, I cut down
over 200 feet of it-passionflower sends runners, so will invade the yard if not cut back.
Sounds like I should dry it and sell it on Ebay.
Ours is definitely not sprayed with chemicals and not mixed
with any other vines. My wife collects different species for the butterflies it attracts.
Who knows, maybe I'll go get a few blossoms tonight and try some tea? I'm a nightowl by nature
and many times I can't sleep. Tried the melatonin but not working. Afraid of tryptophan, read some scary stuff on it. Going to look into the GABA that Jamin mentions. Maybe I'll do more research on the combinations.

edit: To anyone attempting to try growing it, leave it pot-bound. It will try to invade your property. Up north,
only one or two species will survive the frosts/winter weather. It's common maypop species. The fruit is ripe when green, (gets heavier as it ripens, that's how you tell) and is my favorite of all varieties to eat, including the commercial purple/red.

Last edited by TerraDown; 10-07-2018 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
No fear with Tryptophan here and in recent weeks even have eliminated or reduced my Calms Forte for those early morning bathroom wake ups and getting back to sleep. I slept thru to 8:30 this morning and loved it. Sounds like you have quite a garden T.D.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Yes, we do Jamin, thank you

I had a bottle of L-tryptophan already on the way when I looked up side effects on webmd. It seemed too mixed for me to risk it. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...6/l-tryptophan
In its defense, it did say on that page that they have modified it to bring down the side effects, with good results.

But the reviews seem to agree with you, and many have had positive effects. I'll just let the bottle sit until they have done more research on it. Like many have mentioned, and I agree; different concoctions affect each of us in a different way.

Will look into the GABA, that sounds promising. Sometimes I don't go to bed until after 3:00 am...

Old 10-07-2018, 02:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, we do Jamin, thank you

I had a bottle of L-tryptophan already on the way when I looked up side effects on webmd. It seemed too mixed for me to risk it. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...6/l-tryptophan
In its defense, it did say on that page that they have modified it to bring down the side effects, with good results.

But the reviews seem to agree with you, and many have had positive effects. I'll just let the bottle sit until they have done more research on it. Like many have mentioned, and I agree; different concoctions affect each of us in a different way.

Will look into the GABA, that sounds promising. Sometimes I don't go to bed until after 3:00 am...
Yikes 3:00AM, I am deep in dreams. I had a doozy one last night, very interesting.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
We grow over 20 different species of passionflower vines on our property. About two weeks back, I cut down
over 200 feet of it-passionflower sends runners, so will invade the yard if not cut back.
Sounds like I should dry it and sell it on Ebay.
Ours is definitely not sprayed with chemicals and not mixed
with any other vines. My wife collects different species for the butterflies it attracts.
Who knows, maybe I'll go get a few blossoms tonight and try some tea? I'm a nightowl by nature
and many times I can't sleep. Tried the melatonin but not working. Afraid of tryptophan, read some scary stuff on it. Going to look into the GABA that Jamin mentions. Maybe I'll do more research on the combinations.

edit: To anyone attempting to try growing it, leave it pot-bound. It will try to invade your property. Up north,
only one or two species will survive the frosts/winter weather. It's common maypop species. The fruit is ripe when green, (gets heavier as it ripens, that's how you tell) and is my favorite of all varieties to eat, including the commercial purple/red.
Many people have a pharmacy on their properties and don't know it.

Yeah, you should try it if it won't negatively interact with any health condition or medications/products you are taking. Passionflower is a mild sedative, with a little stronger sedating effect than chamomile, linden and lavender.

You can use fresh or dried. One tablespoon dried passionflower to 8 ounces water. Generally, 3 parts fresh equals 1 part dried. Try for 7 days. You can use all aerial parts - blossoms, stems and leaves.

Don't add honey or anything else because other compounds can reduce or counteract the effect you're going for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine