Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:55 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Please answer my question. Do you want opium poppies and coca plants to be legal also?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I would like coca leaves to be legal and regulated, by restricting the amount you can buy at one time. I see nothing wrong with chewing coca leaves, or drinking coca tea, and I would like to try it someday.

You could flip your argument, too. Do you want coffee to be illegal, too? Ultimately, we all draw a line somewhere. I see no reason why the line can't be above kratom, but below poppy and coca.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:05 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I would like coca leaves to be legal and regulated, by restricting the amount you can buy at one time. I see nothing wrong with chewing coca leaves, or drinking coca tea, and I would like to try it someday.

You could flip your argument, too. Do you want coffee to be illegal, too? Ultimately, we all draw a line somewhere. I see no reason why the line can't be above kratom, but below poppy and coca.
Yes, because coffee and cocaine have such similar health effects.

The Micronesians here eat betel nut, and it's legal. They are totally addicted and their teeth are rotting out.

Not really keen on adding more items like that to the landscape.

Kratom appears to be quite addicting - why would you want that on the market. Though I agree more studies are good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-11-2018, 01:41 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
We could go on and on to what we are all "addicted" to, couldn't we. I could go to the grape SEED and I do believe I'm addicted to it and so glad for this addiction. No harm, all good and my teeth/gums are healthier than ever. But I don't chew seeds, I get it in powder form in a capsule...

Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,329 times
Quote:
Yes, because coffee and cocaine have such similar health effects.

The Micronesians here eat betel nut, and it's legal. They are totally addicted and their teeth are rotting out.

Not really keen on adding more items like that to the landscape.

Kratom appears to be quite addicting - why would you want that on the market. Though I agree more studies are good.
Well, that's where you and I differ. Like I said, people draw the line in different places. Most people don't want to illegalize EVERYTHING that's addicting and bad for you. That may include sugar, fat, salt, preservatives, nicotine, alcohol, energy drinks. Some want to control all of these on the basis that some get addicted. Some don't, on the basis that some DON'T get addicted and derive pleasure from these. I am the latter, because I don't want the FDA to have parental control over what I put in my mouth. I choose to draw the line above kratom, and you don't. Agree to disagree, I know your intentions are pure

Old 03-11-2018, 03:18 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
People need to have personal responsibility. And people should be able to do what ever they want to THEMSELVES. If you don't agree with something, then don't do it. If you are afraid of becoming addicted, then don't do it. Your fears should not dictate my life. They should only dictate yours.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Well, that's where you and I differ. Like I said, people draw the line in different places. Most people don't want to illegalize EVERYTHING that's addicting and bad for you. That may include sugar, fat, salt, preservatives, nicotine, alcohol, energy drinks. Some want to control all of these on the basis that some get addicted. Some don't, on the basis that some DON'T get addicted and derive pleasure from these. I am the latter, because I don't want the FDA to have parental control over what I put in my mouth. I choose to draw the line above kratom, and you don't. Agree to disagree, I know your intentions are pure
And I think that is a key factor here.

People don't WANT personal responsibility for their own choices. They want to be told what they can and can't do. It's easier to live as a child, following *rules* then to make decisions as an adult.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
People need to have personal responsibility. And people should be able to do what ever they want to THEMSELVES. If you don't agree with something, then don't do it. If you are afraid of becoming addicted, then don't do it. Your fears should not dictate my life. They should only dictate yours.
You are never ever going to answer my question are you?

Old 03-11-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And I think that is a key factor here.

People don't WANT personal responsibility for their own choices. They want to be told what they can and can't do. It's easier to live as a child, following *rules* then to make decisions as an adult.
Me? All for my personal responsibility and such. It's kids I'm worries about

Old 03-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
You are never ever going to answer my question are you?
What question?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
Kratom appears to be quite addicting - why would you want that on the market.
I can only speak from my experience, I don't think it is addicting at ALL. I am not dying to do more, I use it for what it is. For increased energy and focus. It's definitely not something I get a "craving" for. If anything, I am probably more addicted to coffee than Kratom. By the way, they are related botanically.

If you read the actual first hand reports from addicts it is a life saver and can not only cure opioid addictions but alcohol, tobacco etc. I feel it has that potential. I am not an alcoholic or addicted to cigarettes or hooked on pills but I still feel it has that effect. It kind of "turns you off" to those cravings.

I use Kratom in small doses for the uplifting effects and I use it recreationally the same way I do coffee. If you take a higher dose, you will get the opposite effect, sedation and relaxation. All of this depends on the strain. If you take too much, the worst that can happen is you throw up. In order to get to this level though you have to take a LOT of it. It's only when it is used irresponsibly like mixing it with actual opioids or other known substances that a problem can arise.

Yes, more studies are needed. It does have potential benefits but again, no money to be made when compared to pharma drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.