Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:21 PM

689 posts, read 977,970 times

Advertisements

I've relocated recently and have been in the search for an MD who is somewhat open-minded or, at least, tolerant of my preference for natural solutions and holistic methods of treatment. I am compliant about most of the routine tests but have some clear opinions about what I won't do. I'm respectful, honest and share that I take a strong responsibility for my own well-being.

Before my move, I had a fantastic, long-term relationship with my MD who respected my choices and admitted that whatever I was doing seemed to work very well for me, overall, since my health was exceptional compared to most of her patients in my age group and even younger. She had a moderate amount of knowledge about supplements and preventative strategies and was an organic, healthy eater.

She had a terrific sense of humor which goes a long way.

Now, that I'm needing someone new, I'm bombing out. I've seen 3 different doctors and spread out my routine, yearly tests, so my insurance would pay for meet and greets. I haven't liked any of them and when I share a bit about myself it's pretty much the end of story, though I'm not extreme in my view or overly opinionated (well somewhat)

Wondering how others who have similar values relate to their doctors. Do you just pretend to agree with everything? Only go to naturpathic docs? I'm on Medicare with a very good private supplement, but it doesn't pay for alternative providers and I also recognize that I need to develop a relationship with a mainstream doctor for both routine and emergency care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 06:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,692,005 times
I have a Vietnamese doctor who is very respectful of my beliefs. He is a conventional doctor, yet he "holds space" for my beliefs.

He is not really interested in alternative remedies, however. He is much younger than me and his skin is quite wrinkly and he has some keratoses - I was showing him "age spots" that I had treated with Frankincense and told him how great it is for the skin (as well as many other properties which I did not mention). He had no interest in the power of essential oils and no real curiosity either.

At least he didn't ridicule me.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:42 PM

Thanks for responding. I love that he 'holds space' for your beliefs. I'd like more, but would certainly settle for this kind of respect.

BTW, curious about how you use frankincense for your age spots.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:11 AM

23,524 posts, read 19,255,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
I've relocated recently and have been in the search for an MD who is somewhat open-minded or, at least, tolerant of my preference for natural solutions and holistic methods of treatment. I am compliant about most of the routine tests but have some clear opinions about what I won't do. I'm respectful, honest and share that I take a strong responsibility for my own well-being.

Before my move, I had a fantastic, long-term relationship with my MD who respected my choices and admitted that whatever I was doing seemed to work very well for me, overall, since my health was exceptional compared to most of her patients in my age group and even younger. She had a moderate amount of knowledge about supplements and preventative strategies and was an organic, healthy eater.

She had a terrific sense of humor which goes a long way.

Now, that I'm needing someone new, I'm bombing out. I've seen 3 different doctors and spread out my routine, yearly tests, so my insurance would pay for meet and greets. I haven't liked any of them and when I share a bit about myself it's pretty much the end of story, though I'm not extreme in my view or overly opinionated (well somewhat)

Wondering how others who have similar values relate to their doctors. Do you just pretend to agree with everything? Only go to naturpathic docs? I'm on Medicare with a very good private supplement, but it doesn't pay for alternative providers and I also recognize that I need to develop a relationship with a mainstream doctor for both routine and emergency care.
So how are you finding these potential new MDs? Don't they have professional profiles online that might give you hints as to their beliefs about alternative/holistic approaches? Maybe you can filter out some choices before you even meet them. It could be that unintentionally you are coming across as intolerant or dismissive of THEIR preferences, so they end up shutting down during your meetings.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:29 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,167,553 times
it is my opinion and belief that the medical community as a whole has no interest in something that does not coinside with anything that does not contain some sort of pharmaceutical that they have knowledge of . Anything natural because it does not cost much is shot down . I believe most of them no longer care for anyone sorry to say but true and why ? because the medical professional would rather drive their jags and play golf and there you have it .

Old 10-04-2017, 06:50 AM

9,944 posts, read 7,841,756 times
How about asking at the local health food store?

I have just told our docs that we want to stay healthy and avoid prescriptions as long as possible. They've all respected that and so far, no problems with anyone.

Oh, and we also use Frankincense and other essential oils.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,490,435 times
A thought? What about a note card at a Health Food / Metaphysical Book Store?
"New to Area. Do you love your MD?
Can you recommend a doctor like Andrew Weil out there,
that respects Natural Remedies and Alternative Medicine?"
Leave tear offs of you number ...include 'Needs MD'

Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Each time I've visited one of the doctors mentioned above, they were referred to me by medical personnel who felt they might be a fit, through word-of-mouth or extensive research on my own. I didn't walk in cold - believe me.

I've also asked around everywhere possible both at local health stores, supplement stores, etc. I'm pretty new here and have made several really nice friends, but none of them are in my philosophical camp so they've not been able to help.

Google, or course, pretty much brings up everything in the small Northern California county where I live. There are some excellent alternative providers here but they're not MDs and not covered by my insurance.

I was referred to the doc I saw this week by a service that specializes in helping people get situated with primary providers. This doctor (a DO) actually has a bio which describes her practice as a 'holistic approach to wellness' She flat out told me that this really was misleading and that lots of people came to her thinking she was into things she has no interest or knowledge in. She had zero interest in supplements or preventatives and actually seemed to have a disdain for such things.

My real question is not how you found your doctor but how you relate to your MD. In other words:

*Do you share any of your views or just keep them to yourself?
*Does he/she respect your views?
*Do you have any compatibility with your MD?
*Do you feel comfortable (respectfully) refusing suggested treatments that go against your values?

Examples of things my husband and I had before:
Cardiologist prescribed fish oil and niacin for heart health for DH many years ago before these were common.
Holistic MD provided alternative to statin drug for DH
My (traditional) MD offered several natural solutions/supplementation for minor health concerns. Respected my right to refuse certain vaccinations, etc.

Last edited by LaylaM; 10-04-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 04:10 PM

48,632 posts, read 35,104,822 times
Almost all of my doctors are Chinese and Japanese and I have had no problems with them and scientifically studied supplements and treatments.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,368,645 times
I moved to a new area 3 years ago and I'm in the same position as OP. I've been to three doctors so far, trying to find one that is a good fit for me.

The key descriptor for these doctors seems to be "integrative" rather than "holistic", so that might help in internet searches.

I go into this like a job interview. They are interviewing with me for the position so I am sizing them up for compatibility, etc. I try to be my authentic self, although sometimes I will leave out stuff in the interest of time or if it might derail a conversation off into another direction.

But I do not filter myself with them because I want to gauge their response to me. If they think I'm nuts or they dismiss me out of hand, I want to know that because then I will not darken their door again. The first doctor clearly thought I was nuts, so buh-bye.

I also do refuse tests and treatments if I feel they are not a good fit for me. Actually I say something like, "That's an option. I'll think about that." The second doctor I saw seemed scattered, didn't quite get what I was telling him, and wanted me to do many, many tests to the tune of $2500 (including tests to see if I would fit in with his "pet protocol"), so no. I've since learned that many doctors have their own "pet protocol" and they put every patient on it whether they need it or not, so that's another thing to look out for.

The third doctor I saw, and am continuing to see, seems to be a decent fit right now. He is easy to talk to, easy to get an appt with (after waiting 9 months to see him for the first time as a new patient!), has done research into natural treatments, and readily offers info on them. So I'm keeping him for now

That being said, I still try to solve things first myself and have thought if I had a particularly weird problem maybe I would find an ND (naturopathic doctor) to complement him and then just have two doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine