Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times

Advertisements

I've been taking MSM for many years now and from another health person learned to take higher doses...so for me I've been taking 1 heaping tsp in clean water a couple times per day. That heaping tsp is a bit over 5 grams...so in all about 10 grams daily. The person I learned this from talked about 20grams+ per day. I just took about 10grams and feel the burning in lower back reducing.

https://www.natural-health-and-heali...ts-of-msm.html

I've never had issues with MSM and I've been taking it probably 10 yrs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 04:03 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,260,880 times
Lol at that site's disclaimer:

Please ensure you read this disclaimer notice in its entirety. The statements on this site have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.

Always seek the advice of your medical physician, or other medical professional or qualified health care provider with any questions that you might have about a medical condition.

Never disregard advice from your medical professional or delay seeking medical advice because of anything you may have read on natural-health-and-healing-4u.com.

Lol. In other words, call a real doctor and don't do anything on this site.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:08 PM

That goes for everything posted in Alt Med Group I guess. I see my MD once a year and trust what I do as I've worked with many health groups for years. I'm sure your doctors will talk to you about MSM....but don't hold breath.

Sulphur and Back Pain

http://healthblog.ivlproducts.com/bl...c-back-pain-v2

And true no FDA involvement. I've had too many side effects from those FDA approved pain meds.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-26-2017 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 01:04 PM

689 posts, read 975,212 times
I used to suffer from regular back and neck pain. I started taking 3-4 grams of MSM about 7 years ago and it's been nothing short of a miracle for me. All the pain has disappeared. If I miss some doses the pain comes back within a few days.

My doctor has been quite happy and supportive that I found something that works for me. Like anything in the natural health world, we do our homework, read what's out there, learn from others who have tried something, successfully, and listen, carefully, to our bodies.

Anyone who prefers to take their chances with Ibuprofen or other stronger prescription pain meds that's fine too. I'll, happily, take the natural sulphur route any day before I go there.

Here's a short summary (and a thumbs up) from the Arthritis Foundation.

MSM for Arthritis | Methylsulfonylmethane

Old 11-27-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
I used to suffer from regular back and neck pain. I started taking 3-4 grams of MSM about 7 years ago and it's been nothing short of a miracle for me. All the pain has disappeared. If I miss some doses the pain comes back within a few days.

My doctor has been quite happy and supportive that I found something that works for me. Like anything in the natural health world, we do our homework, read what's out there, learn from others who have tried something, successfully, and listen, carefully, to our bodies.

Anyone who prefers to take their chances with Ibuprofen or other stronger prescription pain meds that's fine too. I'll, happily, take the natural sulphur route any day before I go there.

Here's a short summary (and a thumbs up) from the Arthritis Foundation.

MSM for Arthritis | Methylsulfonylmethane
Thanks for the reminder -- time for my 1st 5-6 grams of MSM in water. I can kinda feel pain melting as the solution goes thru my body.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:04 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,475,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been taking MSM for many years now and from another health person learned to take higher doses...so for me I've been taking 1 heaping tsp in clean water a couple times per day. That heaping tsp is a bit over 5 grams...so in all about 10 grams daily. The person I learned this from talked about 20grams+ per day. I just took about 10grams and feel the burning in lower back reducing.

https://www.natural-health-and-heali...ts-of-msm.html

I've never had issues with MSM and I've been taking it probably 10 yrs...
The reason you have to keep taking more is that MSM is a man made isolate. So like drugs, it stimulates but also enervates. With every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you take food and or whole herbs into the body, at least the body recognizes it and can get rid of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZorQ3UOqLk

Burning in the lower back is usually kidneys. Most of us have poorly functioning kidneys. The key role the kidneys play that the medical profession is ignorant of is that it is the exit through which the waste from all of our hundred trillion cells passes through before they are excreted in our urine. Those of us who are able to get rid of our wastes have white sediment in our urine. If your urine is clear, chances are you should work on your kidneys as waste matter is backing up there and causing inflammation and pain.

Here is Dr. Morse on Low Back Pain. Start watching at 34:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqHm2XlpVg

You can relieve the pain but cutting out the acid forming foods. Try switching to all raw fruit for a week and see if you don't feel better. ARnica is the popular homeopathic remedy for pain.

Herbs for the kidneys that can help are Dandelion, Uva Ursi, Parsley, Cornsilk, Nettles, Juniper Berry, Barley Grass, Alfalfa, Burdock Root, Garlic, Goldenseal Root, St John's Wort, Green Tea, Ginger Root.
I would look for a true whole herbal formula with these in it. Make sure there isn't anything but herbs in it. Make sure it doesn't say "standardized extract". That is code for "man-made/deconstructed and unnatural".

Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 PM

17,554 posts, read 39,195,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The reason you have to keep taking more is that MSM is a man made isolate. So like drugs, it stimulates but also enervates. With every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you take food and or whole herbs into the body, at least the body recognizes it and can get rid of it.

Burning in the lower back is usually kidneys. Most of us have poorly functioning kidneys. The key role the kidneys play that the medical profession is ignorant of is that it is the exit through which the waste from all of our hundred trillion cells passes through before they are excreted in our urine. Those of us who are able to get rid of our wastes have white sediment in our urine. If your urine is clear, chances are you should work on your kidneys as waste matter is backing up there and causing inflammation and pain.

You can relieve the pain but cutting out the acid forming foods. Try switching to all raw fruit for a week and see if you don't feel better. ARnica is the popular homeopathic remedy for pain.

Herbs for the kidneys that can help are Dandelion, Uva Ursi, Parsley, Cornsilk, Nettles, Juniper Berry, Barley Grass, Alfalfa, Burdock Root, Garlic, Goldenseal Root, St John's Wort, Green Tea, Ginger Root.
I would look for a true whole herbal formula with these in it. Make sure there isn't anything but herbs in it. Make sure it doesn't say "standardized extract". That is code for "man-made/deconstructed and unnatural".
I used to wonder what that meant. I usually buy the ones that specify "full spectrum"

About MSM -I have never really heard anything too negative about it. I have been taking one or two grams per day for several years, but I frankly don't know if it has done anything for me. I am on the fence whether to continue. Not taking for any pain, just other more general "health reasons" (I have a book on it extolling its virtues.)

Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 PM

It's the end of day here and so far today I only took 1 heaping tsp of MSM and seemed to get thru the day with less pain. I take 2 ibuprofen every 6 hrs, but won't take more....so just took my 2nd heaping tsp of MSM to reduce pain for the rest of the night.

I swear it does reduce pain, and so at the rate above it's only about 10grams per day. Some I've read and heard from take up to 20 grams daily.

Of course, do all your own research.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:43 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Good job we have your genius to tell us that. (Oh and the medical profession & the scientists which figured out the role of Kidneys over decades and displaced the previous alt med (or galenic) theories of the kidneys not even being essential for life but simply something that "improved life (eg Aristotle). Never mind it was a 1500s Italian professor of Anatomy that finally figured out the basic role and then the renal anatomists and scientists and doctors that filled in the actual picture.

I love the alt med board,. Just make up any ****, then type it down so someone can come along later and cite it as research. Suzanne Somers is brilliant, whereas the scientists Bartolomeo Eustachiao, Malphigi, Henle, Bowman (all of whom after which parts of the kidney are names, from the 1500s through the late 1800s) and their intellectual descendants in renal research rather than pull-it-out-of-a-hat knowledge, are chopped liver.

As I've explained to the moderator before, who ignored it, if alt med kept to alt med instead of alt med plus swipe at MDs, medicine, big pharma conspiracy loony theories, then there'd be a whole lot less fights and more on topic discussions. The last thread I pointed it out in was closed down two posts later for going "off topic"...

Old 01-17-2018, 01:56 PM

689 posts, read 975,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Good job we have your genius to tell us that. (Oh and the medical profession & the scientists which figured out the role of Kidneys over decades and displaced the previous alt med (or galenic) theories of the kidneys not even being essential for life but simply something that "improved life (eg Aristotle). Never mind it was a 1500s Italian professor of Anatomy that finally figured out the basic role and then the renal anatomists and scientists and doctors that filled in the actual picture.

I love the alt med board,. Just make up any ****, then type it down so someone can come along later and cite it as research. Suzanne Somers is brilliant, whereas the scientists Bartolomeo Eustachiao, Malphigi, Henle, Bowman (all of whom after which parts of the kidney are names, from the 1500s through the late 1800s) and their intellectual descendants in renal research rather than pull-it-out-of-a-hat knowledge, are chopped liver.

As I've explained to the moderator before, who ignored it, if alt med kept to alt med instead of alt med plus swipe at MDs, medicine, big pharma conspiracy loony theories, then there'd be a whole lot less fights and more on topic discussions. The last thread I pointed it out in was closed down two posts later for going "off topic"...
I'm not sure I understand your diatribe but, just for the record, the majority of people who post on alt med do so to discuss / share potential remedies or ask pertinent questions regarding certain ailments that they'd like to treat naturally. We wish to do so peacefully and hope to gain knowledge from others who are like-minded or, at least, respectful of this dialogue.

As far as all of the contention that goes on here, it is, primarily, fueled by a few very antagonistic, self-righteous posters who belittle, negate and confront anyone or any concept that does not match up with their conventional views and mainstream publications.

Most of us do not come on here to rant about pharma, traditional medicine or seek conflict. Nor are we interested in denying scientific research or medical progress/innovation. We're just interested in sharing alternatives peacefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine