Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM

222 posts, read 195,454 times

Advertisements

Why can't they do this with humans ? Also is there anyway to get your breath tested to see if you have cancer or do you need to be rich. How can you get one of those cancer sniffing dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 03:24 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Think about this for a moment. They probably can do it with humans but there simply isn't a need to. Now if you are a marine mammal biologist and you want to find out whether the whales in your care are stressed from all the environmental hazards they face these days (impact due to military sonic weaponry, constant disturbance from shipping noise, starvation, malnutrition because your prey is disappearing, ingestion of man made toxins, damage from ocean temperature rise, etc) how else do you get samples from a 30 ton subject you can't communicate with, capture, or restrain without killing yourself or the whale? They are using poop because it contains residues of stress hormones and its easy to get. What this will not tell you is what the specific stress actually resulted from. If you are a human sitting in a doctor's office they can easily take blood, urine, etc. and analyse it down to its individual elements.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,492,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
...How can you get one of those cancer sniffing dogs?

I think many dogs are able to detect the change in temperature that results from a malignant tumor.

Years ago I had a female dog who started sniffing the foot of my male dog. She just wouldnt leave that foot alone. About three weeks later, he started limping on that foot. I took him to the veterinarian and, sure enough, he had cancer in a bone of that foot. The vet did surgery but the cancer had a;ready spread and, despite several more surgeries, he died six months later.

After that, I adopted an older male dog. A couple of years later, the female started sniffing one of his feet. I took him to the vet right away and the vet found that he had cancer in that foot. Several toes were removed and, fortunately, the cancer was caught before it had spread.

One year later, she started sniffing his mouth. By then, I trusted her instinct so much that I checked his mouth thoroughly. Sre enough, there was a black lump on his gumline -- I'd never have noticed it because his gums were black in that area. I drove him several hundred miles to a specialty school for the removal and, thank goodness, they were able to remove it before it had spread.

He lived another 3-4 healthy years, thanks to the cancer-detecting ability of my female and the fact that I came to realize she had that talent. I always said that, if she ever started sniffing me, I'd take myself to the doctor right away.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:25 PM

37,209 posts, read 41,413,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I think many dogs are able to detect the change in temperature that results from a malignant tumor.

Years ago I had a female dog who started sniffing the foot of my male dog. She just wouldnt leave that foot alone. About three weeks later, he started limping on that foot. I took him to the veterinarian and, sure enough, he had cancer in a bone of that foot. The vet did surgery but the cancer had a;ready spread and, despite several more surgeries, he died six months later.

After that, I adopted an older male dog. A couple of years later, the female started sniffing one of his feet. I took him to the vet right away and the vet found that he had cancer in that foot. Several toes were removed and, fortunately, the cancer was caught before it had spread.

One year later, she started sniffing his mouth. By then, I trusted her instinct so much that I checked his mouth thoroughly. Sre enough, there was a black lump on his gumline -- I'd never have noticed it because his gums were black in that area. I drove him several hundred miles to a specialty school for the removal and, thank goodness, they were able to remove it before it had spread.

He lived another 3-4 healthy years, thanks to the cancer-detecting ability of my female and the fact that I came to realize she had that talent. I always said that, if she ever started sniffing me, I'd take myself to the doctor right away.
Dang, TFW, I would have hired your cancer sniffing canine out to the local docs!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,492,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Dang, TFW, I would have hired your cancer sniffing canine out to the local docs!

Dont think I didnt consider it. But all the tumors she sniffed out on my two other dogs were where the cancers were right under the skin (in the bones of the feet) or open to the air (as in the mouth). I dont know how well she'd have done with tumors that were in/on organs or hidden under layers of fat. Maybe, with specialized training, she'd have been able to do it.

I was a dog trainer for 25+ years and knew of other dogs who were trained to detect tumors in people. The use of dogs in this way is growing, although I suspect success may depend on the location of the cancer.

The below link features dogs who also detected cancers in humans:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/health...ogs/index.html

Last edited by TFW46; 12-09-2017 at 10:13 PM..

Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 AM

15,014 posts, read 12,225,175 times
Quote:

So, I just have to ask.... what do you figure it means when a dog sniffs another dog's butt, or a human's crotch?

Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So, I just have to ask.... what do you figure it means when a dog sniffs another dog's butt, or a human's crotch?
Maybe it means they have hpv?

Old 12-11-2017, 04:59 PM

I was half asleep watching Discovery channel when I posted this I am sorry I made a post that is confusing but I think I was trying to say there are test out there like machines that can sense illnesses from your breath and dogs that can sniff cancer when I saw that they can see if a whale is anxious or has anxiety from testing poop I was thinking that I want this test because I have anxiety but all of these test I mentioned do not seem to be done in a hospital I go to the VA would be nice if I could blow into a machine instead of colonoscopy or poop on a stick to prove my anxiety.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,585,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
Why can't they do this with humans ? Also is there anyway to get your breath tested to see if you have cancer or do you need to be rich. How can you get one of those cancer sniffing dogs?
In theory for lung cancer - yes.
https://www.mpg.de/11237619/lung-cancer-test

You can't pay for it yet but perhaps you can volunteer - its still in the development phase.

It all comes down to does the marker for your supposed disease condition occur in exhaled breath higher than for people without the condition? If so its possible in theory to "detect" that disease state in you.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:08 PM

61,945 posts, read 87,574,290 times
Quote:

Animals have some very special abilities.
Years ago, I was visiting local Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, and noticed that several patients had their small dogs and cats roaming free the halls and other patients rooms. It was therapeutic and soothing, and everyone loved having them around.
One of the cats was very special - it would visit some rooms more often than others. Then it will just jump on the bed, curl by the foot and stay there. Soon after the patient would die.
I talked with the staff, and they said, they kept the cat after his owner died several years back, because the cat was never wrong. His behavior alerted the staff that something was going on with a patient, and they could give him/her special attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine