Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes. It's complex. However, what the average nonscientific mind has latched on to is "sugar feeds cancer." You need only page back through this thread and similar ones to see that this is the case.

Hence, the misconception that if one doesn't consume sugar, one won't get cancer. Or that cancer can be cured by eliminating dietary sugar. Neither of those is the case.
When they say "sugar" it's not literal and are not talking about table sugar. They mean and should say glucose.

And I don't think they are saying to eliminate it, that would be impossible. The body even makes it's own from protein. I think when the majority of your calories come from from carbohydrates, maybe you should work at reducing that. It's not the glucose that is the problem but the amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:43 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
When they say "sugar" it's not literal and are not talking about table sugar. They mean and should say glucose.

And I don't think they are saying to eliminate it, that would be impossible. The body even makes it's own from protein. I think when the majority of your calories come from from carbohydrates, maybe you should work at reducing that. It's not the glucose that is the problem but the amount.
You and I are on the same page, but most people who say this sort of thing do literally mean sugar -- table sugar. They really believe that cancer "feeds on sugar" but other cells do not.

I used to try to explain to people that ALL cells, not just cancer cells, get energy from sugar (glucose), and that the reason a sugar solution is used as an agent to light up tumors in CT scans is that cancer cells are metabolizing fuel faster than normal cells, not because "cancer feeds on sugar but other cells don't." I gave up because I got tired of all the skeptical looks and "Hmmm"s.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:35 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Over consumption of sugars does more damage than good. We get plenty of sugars even when working to avoid extra sugars. So much in drinks and foods and keeps doctors in business.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:32 AM

268 posts, read 226,933 times
Quote:
Well, if you live into your 90s and finally die because your heart gave out, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot you could or should have done differently.
I have to add to this that my mother lived to be 91. She died of general old age in a Nursing Home my brother insisted she go into. She of all people should have gotten cancer as she chain smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day all but the last 10 yrs of her life. She started smoking at the age of 16. She was a green eyed dirty-blond fair skinned sun worshiper who endured a sunburn every spring until turning brown as a chestnut by summer. She took no supplements and remained active until the age of 86 when she was hit by a car and left for dead. She suffered several serious injuries including a head injury. She never fully recovered from that and so her activity had slowed to a weekly visit to the grocery store a few blocks away and a little yard work in her garden. She never weighed more than 110 lbs. Her diet was OK from what I saw on visits home. The water she drank was chlorinated. She used fabric softener in her washer and those deodorants some claimed caused breast cancer. She never even developed skin cancer.

Cancer is like the toss of a coin for most of us. No matter how we live or what we eat or how active we are, something can set off a mutation in one cell and there you have it - cancer!

I took every precaution to avoid health issues, not just to avoid cancer. Exercise every day the weather allowed. A minimum of what people call junk-food. Plenty of fruit, veggies and lean meat and fish. I quit smoking over 30 yrs ago. I was not a heavy chain smoker. A thorough exam shows my lungs are heart and arteries are fine. I have none of the serious diseases so prevalent in women my age such as diabetes, osteoporosis or heart disease. In fact the only thing I need is thyroid and HBP medication. I was blessed with both of these health issues from my family. Even half the thin members suffer from HBP that is hard to control. I've taken vitamin-mineral supplements all my life. I am still on an excellent diet and am glad I can afford it with the cost of groceries these days. And I still got cancer. I was told by one Oncologist that endometrial/ovarian cancer tends to run in families yet not one of my relatives, to my knowledge, had it going back 3 generations. Of course it's possible one or more did, but died of other causes before it caused pain or other made itself known.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:45 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
I have to add to this that my mother lived to be 91. She died of general old age in a Nursing Home my brother insisted she go into. She of all people should have gotten cancer as she chain smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day all but the last 10 yrs of her life. She started smoking at the age of 16. She was a green eyed dirty-blond fair skinned sun worshiper who endured a sunburn every spring until turning brown as a chestnut by summer. She took no supplements and remained active until the age of 86 when she was hit by a car and left for dead. She suffered several serious injuries including a head injury. She never fully recovered from that and so her activity had slowed to a weekly visit to the grocery store a few blocks away and a little yard work in her garden. She never weighed more than 110 lbs. Her diet was OK from what I saw on visits home. The water she drank was chlorinated. She used fabric softener in her washer and those deodorants some claimed caused breast cancer. She never even developed skin cancer.

Cancer is like the toss of a coin for most of us. No matter how we live or what we eat or how active we are, something can set off a mutation in one cell and there you have it - cancer!

I took every precaution to avoid health issues, not just to avoid cancer. Exercise every day the weather allowed. A minimum of what people call junk-food. Plenty of fruit, veggies and lean meat and fish. I quit smoking over 30 yrs ago. I was not a heavy chain smoker. A thorough exam shows my lungs are heart and arteries are fine. I have none of the serious diseases so prevalent in women my age such as diabetes, osteoporosis or heart disease. In fact the only thing I need is thyroid and HBP medication. I was blessed with both of these health issues from my family. Even half the thin members suffer from HBP that is hard to control. I've taken vitamin-mineral supplements all my life. I am still on an excellent diet and am glad I can afford it with the cost of groceries these days. And I still got cancer. I was told by one Oncologist that endometrial/ovarian cancer tends to run in families yet not one of my relatives, to my knowledge, had it going back 3 generations. Of course it's possible one or more did, but died of other causes before it caused pain or other made itself known.
I know, it is really all a mystery, isn't it? One of my uncle-in-laws made it to 98 years old and passed peacefully in his sleep. He ate whatever he wanted, smoke until later years of his life. He was an active gardener and got plenty of sun. His wife passed from cancer decades before him. She never smoked or drank, was moderately active but did love some sweets. It just seems like the luck of the draw.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:31 AM

981 posts, read 607,062 times
Quote:

My own story is that I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. It was early and completely curable. I immediately went through the standard surgery/chemo/radiation. I also read up on diets and supplements. I completely changed my diet and began taking a raft of supplements, a protocol which I followed faithfully for the next six years.

Then, I was diagnosed with a new, unrelated breast cancer. Also early and curable, thank God. But it was very discouraging to me to develop cancer again so soon, despite my very strenuous efforts to prevent it from ever happening!

The mystery was unraveled when genetic testing revealed that I have two deleterious mutations which predispose me for breast (and colon) cancer, one inherited from each parent. I was really, really healthy, never got sick, and according to the alternative cancer prevention sites, was doing everything right. None of that changed the fact that when a genetic change took place in one of my cells, my extra-strong immune system still could not see it. I DO know that being so healthy helped me tremendously to go through treatment again with flying colors. It's now been 10 years since the first cancer, 4 years since the second, and since I've had a double mastectomy, my doctors feel I am off the hook as far as breast cancer is concerned. (I still need to keep an eye out for colon cancer).
I am so sorry you had cancer again and had to go through that but am happy for you to beat again! I was diagnosed with Triple Negative BC Jan. 2017 at age almost 52 and had chemo (AC, Taxol/Carboplatin), double mastectomy and was cleared of any sign of cancer at surgery time so no radiation, thankfully! TNBC is very aggressive so that is why I chose this route. I did not get sick and continued to exercise as much as possible even though my immune system was extremely low at times. I did have to miss some treatments and/or postpone because of my immune system.

I did get tested for the BRCA genes which showed negative, another plus. So one year in July I was cancer free. I have always been healthy and exercise 4-6 times a week at the gym and home. I have a very clean diet and since diagnosis have added supplements to my regime of standard vitamins. I was a vegetarian for 15+ years until changing it just this spring to add meat.

I do believe in a combination of treatment. My heart goes out to any and all of you have had cancer touch your lives whether yourself or loved ones. Bless!

Old 08-11-2018, 10:50 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I've been dosing for years.

Breast Cancer Choices Supplement Strategy - Iodine

On Breast, Prostate, Colon and Melanoma:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2728696/

Old 08-11-2018, 10:55 AM

981 posts, read 607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Your arguments are like mine except reversed. I’m honestly not sure what to think of Dr Burzynski. I lived in Texas from 1995 to 2000 and heard plenty of mostly positive things about him from the public. It was all going on when I lived there. The government and medical community had come after him with a vengeance and I remember people speaking out on his behalf saying how he had cured their family members.

Here is one example of why I like supplements over meds whenever possible. I’ve had borderline high bp for awhile. A few years ago, a Dr wanted to put me on long term bp medicine. I refused and did some reading, went into the vitamin store and chose a vitamin supplement made for controlling bp. After a couple of months, I went back to the Dr and this time my bp was normal. I remember the nurse saying how good it was. Now, I really didn’t expect these supplements to work as well as they did, but have been on them ever sense. A long term script is not something that can easily be given up, once you’ve started and I didn’t want to make a commitment to taking something that could possibly last for years. It also seems to me that a vitamin is much less toxic over the long term than taking an unknown script that comes with pages of possible reactions.

As far as the medical community, I view it as having the same mix of people as in any field. Some are good, others not in a million. I don’t think the medical community is against cures, but medicine is a profit driven business. If a simple, cheap remedy like vitamin c cured a major disease, do you really believe it wouldn’t be hushed up? Pharma and medicine depend on money. They aren’t about lose that money telling people how to cure themselves for pennies.

I hope the trend is for much less toxic medicine to come on the market. The same cut/burn/poison therapies have around for decades. Time for new and innovative things to come on board, and that’s a reason I look at places like Sunridge and Envita, they are trying to push the envelope and traditional medicine in a lot of ways, is stuck in the past. I hope to never need their services but would feel like I was doing my self a favor by checking them out. I’m blessed to have a PPO, an HMO would never allow the flexibility to see so many different types of practitioners.
Can you share what you take for high bp? My husband is on meds for it and dislikes that it will be long term.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:56 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I am so sorry you had cancer again and had to go through that but am happy for you to beat again! I was diagnosed with Triple Negative BC Jan. 2017 at age almost 52 and had chemo (AC, Taxol/Carboplatin), double mastectomy and was cleared of any sign of cancer at surgery time so no radiation, thankfully! TNBC is very aggressive so that is why I chose this route. I did not get sick and continued to exercise as much as possible even though my immune system was extremely low at times. I did have to miss some treatments and/or postpone because of my immune system.

I did get tested for the BRCA genes which showed negative, another plus. So one year in July I was cancer free. I have always been healthy and exercise 4-6 times a week at the gym and home. I have a very clean diet and since diagnosis have added supplements to my regime of standard vitamins. I was a vegetarian for 15+ years until changing it just this spring to add meat.

I do believe in a combination of treatment. My heart goes out to any and all of you have had cancer touch your lives whether yourself or loved ones. Bless!
Good for you! My second cancer was also triple negative and I had the exact same chemo plus a double mastectomy. Glad to hear you also came through everything OK.

My first tumor was hormone sensitive, so I had a different but similar chemo (Taxotere/Cytoxan) and 5 1/2 years of hormone therapy (Tamoxifen). I did well with that, too, but I had chosen to have a lumpectomy not knowing about my genetic condition. It's not the BRCA genes but a couple of less common, lesser-known mutations that I have. I probably could have completely avoided the second go-around by choosing mastectomy the first time, but, hindsight.

By the way, my surgeon said that on the whole, her cancer patients are "above average" in the health department. Many of them have never had surgery before, or had any serious disease or chronic condition, before cancer. That was certainly true for me.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:39 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Here's another one.

Ginseng as a preventative and treatment in improving quality of life.

Ginseng For Cancer Patients Says Mayo Clinic

I used to take it in my youth and had forgotten all about it. I started taking it again for energy and focus but if it helps to prevent cancer in some way then even better.

There is statistical evidence that it lowers the risk of cancer and it is not organ specific.

Ginseng consumption and risk of cancer: A meta-analysis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine