Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:41 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Essential Oils Promise Help, But Beware the Risks

Discuss POLITELY. Agree or disagree, but stop fighting. It's a discussion. Keep up the fighting and this entire thread will go POOF. As if it never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 05:34 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
WHO is telling anyone that "it's always safe to ingest an EO?" You are making untrue claims. No one is telling people that every essential oil is safe to ingest. It says right on the doTerra bottles if it is a "supplement" or not (meaning ok to ingest).

There are literally thousands of similar posts from MLM oil salesladies suggesting adding oils to food and drinks and rubbing them on pets. What's on the bottle and what the ground troops are spouting are two very different things.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:31 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I'd like to keep the discussion on the proper use of the oils, not the uneducated people who use the oils in ways that are not recommended.

I have put 1-2 drops of Grapefruit in water. I have put 1-2 drops of On Guard under my tongue when I started getting a cold (it went away). I take DoTerra supplements every day that contain oils. My friend also took the same oil supplements and her doctor was so pleased with how they improved her health that she took her off her statins.

There is a learning curve to using oils, just like anything else. Most articles state that oils are being used by nurses and doctors in hospitals. I think that's good. Not everyone has the allergic reactions that are highlighted in the article. We may be allergic to other things, doesn't mean everything needs to be controlled tightly by the government.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:41 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'd like to keep the discussion on the proper use of the oils, not the uneducated people who use the oils in ways that are not recommended.

I have put 1-2 drops of Grapefruit in water. I have put 1-2 drops of On Guard under my tongue when I started getting a cold (it went away). I take DoTerra supplements every day that contain oils. My friend also took the same oil supplements and her doctor was so pleased with how they improved her health that she took her off her statins.

There is a learning curve to using oils, just like anything else. Most articles state that oils are being used by nurses and doctors in hospitals. I think that's good. Not everyone has the allergic reactions that are highlighted in the article. We may be allergic to other things, doesn't mean everything needs to be controlled tightly by the government.
Exactly.

In the article with the pictures - who in their right mind would keep using something that is giving them a rash? You have to have common sense.

There is a lot of information on the web on each oil.

Some oils cannot be taken internally.

Some oils create photosensitivity.

Etc., etc.

I believe they are powerful "healing properties" that we are fortunate to have to address mental, emotional, physical, and even spiritual issues.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Yes, there's information about the oils on the internet but not all of it is reliable. If someone really wants to treat using EOs, they should consult with a licensed naturopath. Not self diagnose and self-medicate.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:10 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

I have put 1-2 drops of Grapefruit in water. It.
If you have any risk of breast cancer or if it runs in your family, it might not be a good idea to use grapefruit oil at all.

Also from Livestrong, "Grapefruit interacts with dozens of drugs, raising levels of the drugs in the bloodstream. " And that's just grapefruit. Grapefruit oil, which is highly concentrated, could have an even worse effect.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/1...en-grapefruit/

Old 08-28-2018, 02:01 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
OMG . . . so much fear . . . I have a collection of probably a couple of hundred - I use them all neat. I use Frankincense on my face. I have never had a problem with any oil. I use oils that I know are pure.

So many scared, terrified people.
And if I used Frankincense or lavender on MY face, I would end up in the ER like the person in that article... just because something doesn't give you a reaction, that doesn't mean it's safe for everyone! OP only said to "be careful," which is good advice. I know my allergies, so wouldn't even try, but some folks aren't aware of an allergy until after the fact.

FYI: This is why most products recommend a patch test before use.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:24 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And if I used Frankincense or lavender on MY face, I would end up in the ER like the person in that article... just because something doesn't give you a reaction, that doesn't mean it's safe for everyone! OP only said to "be careful," which is good advice. I know my allergies, so wouldn't even try, but some folks aren't aware of an allergy until after the fact.

FYI: This is why most products recommend a patch test before use.
Of course! It's common sense that you would do a patch test if you have sensitivities.

Yes, OP, said to "be careful," then others came along and made accusations that "no one knows how essential oils interact with medications" and that some mysterious people are saying that everyone should wantonly take all essential oils internally (neither thing is true).

Note: For people considering using essential oils - use pure oils, research each oil before you use it, and do not take any oil internally unless you know it is specifically designated to be taken internally.

Use common sense and be responsible for yourself.

If you note a reaction, discontinue use.

Information and common sense goes a long way.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Use common sense and be responsible for yourself.

If you note a reaction, discontinue use.

Information and common sense goes a long way.
I think that's pretty much the gist of it. Also, people need to realize that natural doesn't always = hypoallergenic. You know those peddlers at the mall kiosks? When they get pushy with me I always say "no thanks, I'm allergic!" And when they respond with "but it's all natural," I tell them I'm allergic to nature. It's true, too.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
There are literally thousands of similar posts from MLM oil salesladies suggesting adding oils to food and drinks and rubbing them on pets. What's on the bottle and what the ground troops are spouting are two very different things.
Ugh... but I'm even more offended by the #hashtag abuse. So annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine