Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 03:10 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,298,731 times

Advertisements

I'm happy for your friend and hope she lives many more happy healthy years. My mother turns 92 in three weeks. Back to the subject of UTIs, a couple of known non-medical treatments are to drink plenty of water to keep flushing the bacteria from the system and to drink cranberry juice to make the urine less inviting for the bacteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,721,574 times
I like D-Mannose- took if for a UT condition (doctor said not an infection.)
I was urinating every hour. I started a pill which is a combination of d-mannose and cranberry.
And I drank a tea by a company called Bravo, which is called "Strong Kidney". After a week or two I returned to normal urination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Hard to know BUT a neighbor friend who is 92 I believe and has many UTI's, she is forever dealing with them and takes supplements for them, no drugs, she has no signs of alz issues.

She finds best help with https://www.iherb.com/r/Now-Foods-D-...-3-oz-85-g/531

And there is another one and I'll look for it and post it...here it is, and my friend uses it:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Nature-s-An...z-120-ml/14967

D Mannose could work just as good.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:47 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,162,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Thank you for the article; I’m excited to see the link with estrogen being mentioned! I’ve been wondering about that for a long time ... I have always been susceptible to UTI’s & more so while pregnant. And I’ve been pregnant a lot.

I have experienced “brain fog” with bad UTI’s since I was in my 20’s. The only other infection that will do that to me are dental infections. Hmm.

Since they have recently discovered that Alzheimer’s is immune-mediated; I wonder if it’s the body’s immune response that is causing this? It does always go away with antibiotic treatment but I would imagine it takes longer for the elderly.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:30 AM

7,382 posts, read 5,307,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Hard to know BUT a neighbor friend who is 92 I believe and has many UTI's, she is forever dealing with them and takes supplements for them, no drugs,

Maybe if she actually treated them with legitimate drugs she wouldn't keep getting the infections over and over again.

-Cipro brings on confusion in the elderly at a rate of 0.16% (<1 in 500) https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/cipro/dementia/ The confusion goes away when the drug is stopped.

-5% of UTIs advance to urosepsis in the elderly, and 40% of those result in death, ie- 1 in 50 UTIs kill the elderly. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840933/ Once you're dead, you stay dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Thank you for the article; I’m excited to see the link with estrogen being mentioned! .

Pseudo-science.

UTIs are also highly correlated with eating quiche, wearing lipstick, reading romance novels and not watching football on TV-- all things more likely among women than men.

Women are prone to UTIs for a very simple reason-- anatomy. It's a much shorter journey for a germ to get into a female bladder than a male bladder. No magic explanations needed.

Nobody really knows why, but it's common knowledge among medical practitioners that a sudden worsening of mental status in an elderly person is often due to UTI (or any infection). Treat the infection and the confusion reverts to baseline level. (Dehydration is another common cause of easily reversible changes in mental status.)

Old 10-01-2018, 07:38 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,643,865 times
UTI's can push you over the level at which the brain can no longer fullfill all its functions because the immune response of inflammation affects blood flow to the brain. The brain capacity for accessible memories is temporarily reduced.

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/al...rticle/446249/

I've read that you're already down to about 20 percent of normal brain capacity when you're clinically diagnosed with Alzheimer's and already having lost considerable ability to function.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 AM

29,259 posts, read 16,890,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Maybe if she actually treated them with legitimate drugs she wouldn't keep getting the infections over and over again.

-Cipro brings on confusion in the elderly at a rate of 0.16% (<1 in 500) https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/cipro/dementia/ The confusion goes away when the drug is stopped.

-5% of UTIs advance to urosepsis in the elderly, and 40% of those result in death, ie- 1 in 50 UTIs kill the elderly. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2840933/ Once you're dead, you stay dead.

Pseudo-science.

UTIs are also highly correlated with eating quiche, wearing lipstick, reading romance novels and not watching football on TV-- all things more likely among women than men.

Women are prone to UTIs for a very simple reason-- anatomy. It's a much shorter journey for a germ to get into a female bladder than a male bladder. No magic explanations needed.

Nobody really knows why, but it's common knowledge among medical practitioners that a sudden worsening of mental status in an elderly person is often due to UTI (or any infection). Treat the infection and the confusion reverts to baseline level. (Dehydration is another common cause of easily reversible changes in mental status.)
Oh please, the last abx legitimate drug she was given Cipro still has her fighting those side effects....some times it's better to deal with our issues as we can than have to deal with the side effects from those legitimate drugs. grrrr Talking to her the other day and she's 92, she believes these issues are from an incontinence problem which many older people are dealing with...that's where the Kegel work would be good to practice all the time.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:08 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,643,865 times
A lot of them won't do physical therapy for hip pain or other arthritic conditions. The hegel exercises are then of no use.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:47 AM

29,259 posts, read 16,890,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
A lot of them won't do physical therapy for hip pain or other arthritic conditions. The hegel exercises are then of no use.
Well, if one is aware Kegel can be done anytime, I'm doing it right now sitting here.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,265,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
My friend's elderly brother is in hospital. He was diagnosed with a UTI, and given medication for it. (I don't know what.)
Suddenly he started to exhibit symptoms of Alzheimer's. My friend is very perturbed because she saw him not long ago, and he had no signs of dementia or Alzheimers.

I suggested she find out what drug he is being given for the UTI, bec. I know some antibiotics like fluoroquinolones (eg Cipro) can cause central nervous system symptoms such as paranoia, depression, delusion.

Wondering what anyone's thoughts are on this -- or any experience you have.

thanks.
UTI and urosepsis commonly lead to confusion and delerium in the elderly often some of the earliest symptoms

Far more likely that the disease process for which he is being treated has resulted in the mental status changes than the antibiotics being used to treat the condition

Old 10-10-2018, 09:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,349,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
Many elderly people suddenly start to exhibit signs of dementia or delirium when they're in the hospital. It's probably caused by a combination of things -- stress, illness, lack of familiar surroundings, and lots of other things. It's quite common. Often it resolves when the person returns home.
Yes, it resolves when the person gets home and is no longer receiving the mind altering drugs they give to them in the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine