Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Ah, I'm halfway through the second book and have not come to scientology stuff yet, LOL. Also, insurance does not cover most of what he's advocating... how can the average person afford all of those alternative treatments in the first place? Especially when they're installing reverse osmosis water filters and eating only organic food....
Did you watch "Sicko"? Newsflash - insurance in this country is a scam. It doesn't cover half of what you think it covers and many people end up dead broke. I guess young and healthy moms like us haven't come across of insurance woes, although my mother had been dead for 9 years and I still get medical bills.

The truth is - alternative methods are not a "cure-all" like KT might claim, but they have their place and they are much more purposeful when it comes to PREVENTING disease, then mainstream medicine. Actually - mainstream western medicine is useless when it comes to prevention (unless you count vaccines)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
You are as narrow-minded as those health food nuts who refuse to ever take a pharmaceutical drug or see an MD.

If herbs don't work then how come so many drugs are derived from them?

Supplements have their place as do drugs. Anyone who tells you that either one has all the answers (or none of the answers) is just plain foolish.

With all due respect, you are doing your patients a disservice.
Well said! I totally agree.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Did you watch "Sicko"? Newsflash - insurance in this country is a scam. It doesn't cover half of what you think it covers and many people end up dead broke. I guess young and healthy moms like us haven't come across of insurance woes, although my mother had been dead for 9 years and I still get medical bills.
That's another reason to keep up with your own health. I liken it to getting your car fixed...some people take care of their own car,others just bring it into the shop everytime there's a noise and let the mechanics tell them anything and rake them over the coals with charges.

Anyway,from first hand experience that's how I first got into natural health.
I saw what happened to many members of my family at the hands of the medical system and swore I wouldn't let it happen to me. Plus I started having health concerns at an early age and thought it would have been odd someone my age walking into a hospital. So from that point on I started paying attention to every bit of health information that came down the line.
Heck I could even be a doctor myself if I had the $$ to take it to school.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:33 PM

655 posts, read 916,429 times
He also was the speaker for a multi level marketing company called "Nutrition For Life" an MLM that went belly up due to being shut down for fraud and violation of trade laws. Kevin's book is full of good info, that he gathered from other sources and used his marketing skills to pimp. Kevin is nothing more then a fast talking con-man, make no bones about it. He has mutiple felony convictions. If he could make a buck selling you beach from property in Arizona, he would do it. That is all he is, a fast talking, slick "willy" type. Ready his history.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
If he could make a buck selling you beach from property in Arizona, he would do it.
Well a beach isn't too far from (southern)Arizona

Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
He also was the speaker for a multi level marketing company called "Nutrition For Life" an MLM that went belly up due to being shut down for fraud and violation of trade laws. Kevin's book is full of good info, that he gathered from other sources and used his marketing skills to pimp. Kevin is nothing more then a fast talking con-man, make no bones about it. He has mutiple felony convictions. If he could make a buck selling you beach from property in Arizona, he would do it. That is all he is, a fast talking, slick "willy" type. Ready his history.
In the great scheme of things, I don't care what his felonies are. No - that's not true, I do care. But it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the things he says are true no matter what the resources are. By the way, I didn't come across anywhere in his books that he claims to "know-all". He openly states that he gathers his resources from others. Is he "shady"? A little. But as I said before - the general idea is still true. Even if he convinces ONE person to look outside the box, it's already an accomplishment.
Also - if you did read the book, you will see that on the back of his book, he lists numbers and numbers of supplement resources other then his own.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 PM

[quote=max's mama;3862510]I He openly states that he gathers his resources from others. Is he "shady"? A little. quote]

A little? No offense, but I have attended this man's seminars. He is the fastest talking, slick con-man I've ever seen. I'm not saying the info in his book is not usefull, but keep in mind whom it comes from.

And again, his vested interest in this book is MARKETING, that is the man's skill. He is the info-commercial king of late night TV. He has a history of being a prven con-artist. Anywhere there is a buck to be made promoting ANYTHING, he will be there.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:16 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,634 times
Quote:
He also was the speaker for a multi level marketing company called "Nutrition For Life" an MLM that went belly up due to being shut down for fraud and violation of trade laws.
Trudeau is no saint but put the fraud in perspective. Maybe someone can tell us exactly what it was. But it could have been as simple as something like claiming vinegar can cure heartburn. That would be fraud without millions of dollars in research to back it up despite the fact that it does work for many people and not for others.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Wow....just wow...

Vitamin C does not "cure" allergies....show me the research, the double blinded studies that can "prove it". THAT is why supplement makers cannot make that claim....

Linus Pauling despite his brilliance in other areas was convinced that megadoses of Vit C could cure the common cold....it doesnt....

Supplements do NOT prevent people from getting sick and their use would NOT put pharmaceutical industries out of business...LOL

As for celebrities going overseas for treatment, no one ever said most celebrities were very bright hence the large number that practice scientology.

Haven't YOU ever wondered why so many wealthy foreign nationals come to THIS country for their medical treatment....guess those herbs aren't working.

As for kickbacks for writing prescriptions, please, please let me know when I can expect my first since I have NEVER received one for any prescription I have written.
Vitamin C has "cured" my allergies and I have no problem making that claim. I don't need an expensive study to tell me that, I speak from experience. Ester-C is responsible for my positive outcome. Where's the proof that it doesn't work? I'd have a hard time believing any study that says it doesn't work, when from experience I can tell you that it's worked for me. I doubt you will ever see a study that shows Vitamin C "curing" allergies, because of the dollars lost in the medical/pharmaceutical industries- the FDA most likely wouldn't allow it! "THAT is why supplement makers cannot make that claim...." But being in the medical profession you probably all ready know that. Read this article and it will help you to understand:

DoctorYourself.Com - Allergies

If you're in the medical profession as you say you are, you should be open to all opportunities that help your patients, why wouldn't you be? Isn't that the whole point, to make people healthy?

If you don't understand the values of supplements, then you and your patients are missing the boat, IMO. Supplements do work and if they didn't, like Niner's Fan says, why are so many drugs derived from them? I won't go as far as saying they all work, because most likely I wouldn't have use for all and I would have no way of knowing that, but I've tried several with positive results- enough to merit their use in my daily diet.

Unfortunately many doctors are programmed to prescribe drugs instead of discovering what's causing the problem in the first place. As pointed out, there's no money to be made if people are healthy, so I'm sure there are many professionals in the health industry that will go to any length to protect their profession.

Supplements should be a part of your diet to help "prevent disease". I do feel if used properly they can be of great benefit. That's your choice if you choose not to integrate supplements into your practice, whatever it is that you do. I just find it concerning as there is so much information out there explaining the the lack of nutrients in our foods (due to over-farming our lands and chemicals) and that it's virtually impossible to get enough nutrition on a daily basis from our food. You physically can't eat the quantity of food you'd have to, in order to get the vitamin intake needed. Hence supplements are necessary. It's my belief that the majority of illness' that we face are due to mal-nutrition. I don't feel what the FDA requires for Daily Allowance is even close to accurate. When I look at some of the symptoms I've had to deal with in reviewing my own health, it has become very apparent that many of my symptoms can be linked back to lack of nutrition. Now that I take supplements my symptoms have improved if not disappeared completely.

As far as the wealthy coming here for treatment, I don't hear of that. I hear of more people going over-seas so they can get out of the grip of the FDA regulations. Listen, people are going to continue to get sick as long as we continue in the direction that we are no matter what country they're from. We pump so many pollutants into the air and into our food that don't belong in our bodies, that at some point people will get sick. It doesn't mean that herbs don't work; there is so much more to it than that, and no matter what you say you won't be able to convince me otherwise. It's pretty obvious to me that people are sicker than ever before and I just don't buy that prescriptions are the solution, quite the contrary if you ask me. Many of these points are what Kevin and others are trying to get across.

No matter what your intentions are as far as being in the medical field, you have chosen an industry who's decisions are unfortunately being clouded by money, IMO. I know people in the industry and yes they get kickbacks, oh, I failed to mention the trips that get thrown out there on top of it. Google it if you're not aware of the practice going on, here's some links below. I find it difficult to believe that you're in the health industry, you'd have to be under a rock to not know that this is going on?? From what I've read, kickbacks begin as far back as medical school.

Maker of Claritin Drug To Plead Guilty To Federal Criminal Anti-Kickback Charges, Pay Fine of $52 Million, Also Facing $282 Million In Civil Liabilities
Pharmalot » Pfizer Lobbyist: Kickbacks To Docs Are Bad

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Trudeau is no saint but put the fraud in perspective. Maybe someone can tell us exactly what it was. But it could have been as simple as something like claiming vinegar can cure heartburn. That would be fraud without millions of dollars in research to back it up despite the fact that it does work for many people and not for others.
He was convicted for fraud and larceny!

[SIZE=-1]Kevin Trudeau is a marketer extraordinaire, with a more-than-checkered past. A twice-convicted felon, he served time in a Federal penitentiary, for credit card fraud. The Federal Trade Commission has prosecuted him more than once for making and airing fraudulent infomercials. He has been the subject of investigations by 18 state Attorneys General and the US Postal Service. His involvement in Nutrition for Life, Inc. (NFLI), a multilevel marketing business based in Houston, TX, ended ignominiously after the SEC began investigating his distributor recruitment practices On April 17, 1996, the Illinois Attorney General filed suit against Trudeau and a partner for running an illegal pyramid scheme with Nutrition for Life and Nightingale-Conant, another MLM dealing in motivational books and tapes. The State of Michigan ordered Trudeau to cease all marketing in the state related to his business, the Trudeau Marketing Group.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine