Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 08:57 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced this? It is often used for determining allergies or tricky-to-diagnose problems.

I realise there will be many on here who do not place any belief in this, but Dowsing and pendulum work has been found to be small muscle movements which effect the swing of the pendulum, or in the case of water dowsers, then it is the muscles in the arms which make the forked stick or angle rods move to indicate water beneath. Somehow the body 'knows' when there is water underground. In a similar way, we can test the muscles in the arm to indicate answers to health and other questions we ask.

Basically it is asking the body to give answers to what is the issue it is experiencing. It is using the body as a forked-stick or angle-rods tool to determine answers.

It has been found that when you test a muscle (typically an arm muscle) and ask a question, then the innate body knowledge seems to be able answer that question reliably. Maybe it is tapping into the knowledge which was once common in our ancestors and is still available to indiginous peoples across the world?

As I understand it, how you do it is:

1) hold your arm out horizontally away from your body
2) Someone else has to stand in front of that arm and using one or two fingers push down to test the 'strength' (how easy it is to keep it level horizontally). You should try to resist the force of the fingers pressing down.
3) You should be able to see whether the muscle has collapsed and the answer is 'negative' or if the strength has been maintained and the answer is 'positive'.

However, there is one point which you need to be aware of if you try this. As much as this sounds really weird, dowsing needs parameters to constrain it, so before you start doing this you need to intend that you are working in the now current timeframe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 09:29 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I don't know whether to believe in any of this or not. Dowsing for water--a long time ago I had a well run dry and when asking the old farmers they all recommended dowsing and said that it actually works. So I believed that but got skeptical when I heard about people who said they could dowse for water using a map! I would think the person would have to actually be there to be able to sense water. Using a map and not even being there makes those people sound like frauds.

As for muscle testing, I never thought of it as being related to anything like dowsing, but I guess it would be. I went to a doctor who specialized in food allergies and nutrition. He was a regular MD who had gotten tired of not getting a chance to teach nutrition so he quit and started a practice where he would test you by having you hold a vial of something and I don't remember what he did but he could tell some things from doing this. He confessed that it was not as accurate as what he used to do with real medical tests but he said he really could get somewhat accurate results. I think this was the muscle testing and he could feel or see a weakness? I think he had me hold my arms out? And he would gently push my arm down. Sometimes it would go right down and other times I could hold my arm steady.

Turned out that he wasn't some idiot either. My own doctor, who was highly esteemed, turned out to be a good friend of his. I was embarrassed to tell my dr that I was going to this strange other dr and was surprised when my doctor told me they were friends and that he respected him and his work.

So the jury is out with me. I think dowsing probably works and probably there are certain people who are more sensitive and get better results. I think what the doctor did works too and, as he said, it's not perfect, but he can get a pretty good idea. Probably it takes a certain kind of person who can focus enough and who can sense these things. We probably all have known someone who had a "6th sense"--so it would be that kind of person.

I wouldn't rely on any of it in important circumstances but I bet there's some truth to it.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:21 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
There is science behind "dowsing" (or "divining") for water-- Using two metal rods to find underground electrical wires works really well-- the electric current in the wire sets up a magnetic field around itself, and the rods will move towards the maximum of the field as they are moved thru it...Underground water has ions dissolved in it and can show the same phenomenon, depending on the concentration & movemenrt of the water.

I never heard of the test you've described with muscles, but I imagine it has something to do with the phenomenon of "recruitment."...Eg- if you test, for instance, the subject's patellar reflex (knee jerk), the leg will kick with a small movement...If you repeat the hammer blow having the subject hook fingers and give a slight tug of the arms as you strike, the knee jerk will be significantly enhanced.

I rather doubt the magic trick will ever be used to establish a murderer's guilt in a court room, but makes for fine entertainment among a bunch of drunks at a cocktail party.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:26 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
It's totally true, people.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:04 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
One time about 20 years ago, I mentioned to my chiropractor that the previous week I had been unusually cold and was having trouble sleeping. He opened a case with a number of small vials in it. He had me stand with my arm out to the side. He put a vial in my outstretched hand and then pushed down on my arm. He did this with a number of different vials (maybe 7 or 8?). With most of them my arm stayed out, but with one vial it's like my arm just deflated. It was the weirdest thing. I had never experienced anything like it before. He did not use any extra force, and my arm was not tired. It just collapsed.

Based on that test he said I was probably iron anemic and could just take a supplement. I started on one that day and with 3 or 4 days I felt 100% better.

I know we are all energy, so it makes sense to me that muscle testing is just tapping into the energy and knowledge of the body consciousness. I've read that we can muscle-test ourselves, and I know a friend who does that.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Huh? Neurological testing like you’ve mentioned is normal. It is typically used in situations where a doctor is not sure whether the patient is faking it (perhaps for Worker’s Comp benefits) or has a mental connection to the problem. In the latter case, the person is not intentionally faking it. Instead, they may feel so much pain that they think they have lost strength or they have something like conversion disorder where their mental health is converting into physical symptoms.

Our bodies learn to do a lot by reflex, partially for safety reasons. If we fall, we will take actions to try to make a save to limit injury. If we see something coming toward us, we will move out of the way. I don’t think that has to do with stuff like dowsing- I don’t think the body is innately able to find water. If that were the case, you’d think we wouldn’t have as many situations with zero water as we have now because people would easily be able to locate water underground.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:27 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Yes, I believe it. I had a holistic doctor years ago that did it with me and my son, testing us for food sensitivities. I felt the difference myself when holding different foods and I watched my little boy become totally weak when he was tested holding a favorite breakfast cereal (which he never had again).

I also had a vegan friend who would test her daughters at the grocery store holding different produce.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:33 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Huh? Neurological testing like you’ve mentioned is normal. It is typically used in situations where a doctor is not sure whether the patient is faking it (perhaps for Worker’s Comp benefits) or has a mental connection to the problem. In the latter case, the person is not intentionally faking it. Instead, they may feel so much pain that they think they have lost strength or they have something like conversion disorder where their mental health is converting into physical symptoms.

Our bodies learn to do a lot by reflex, partially for safety reasons. If we fall, we will take actions to try to make a save to limit injury. If we see something coming toward us, we will move out of the way. I don’t think that has to do with stuff like dowsing- I don’t think the body is innately able to find water. If that were the case, you’d think we wouldn’t have as many situations with zero water as we have now because people would easily be able to locate water underground.
I think you will find that oil companies also use dowsers occasionally too. So, maybe they just want to spend a bit of money on an old friend? No, water dowsing has been happening for centuries. As others have said, we are just a bunch of energy whizzing about and maybe, just maybe we are more complicated than medicine has understood to date. I reckon our mind is outside the body and communicates with the body through the physical brain which acts like a receiver for differing frequencies of energy. That means we can pick up on all kinds of energies, gold, oil, water, anything really, we just have to tune in and away we go.

Elephants can smell water miles and miles away.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
One time about 20 years ago, I mentioned to my chiropractor that the previous week I had been unusually cold and was having trouble sleeping. He opened a case with a number of small vials in it. He had me stand with my arm out to the side. He put a vial in my outstretched hand and then pushed down on my arm. He did this with a number of different vials (maybe 7 or 8?). With most of them my arm stayed out, but with one vial it's like my arm just deflated. It was the weirdest thing. I had never experienced anything like it before. He did not use any extra force, and my arm was not tired. It just collapsed.

Based on that test he said I was probably iron anemic and could just take a supplement. I started on one that day and with 3 or 4 days I felt 100% better.

I know we are all energy, so it makes sense to me that muscle testing is just tapping into the energy and knowledge of the body consciousness. I've read that we can muscle-test ourselves, and I know a friend who does that.
Yes, that was what it was like for me. He said I was allergic to wheat. When I was later on tested for allergies I was allergic to wheat. What he did wasn't my imagination and I didn't know what he was doing. All I did was stand there and one time my arm just went right down when he touched it.

When I've heard about dowsing, it usually says they used to use a willow branch. Only certain people were good dowsers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine