Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post

Apparently you barely skimmed over my post, please go back and read where I wrote my Grandmother used a solution, so all that info was just a waste of your time. And I still don't see your point, like I said lots and lots of Rx meds are poisonous when used improperly (and many anyway), but of course only people who need some so-called authority to tell them what to do them wont' be able to tell the difference. I thank God He gave me the ability to think for myself and also FREE WILL so if I want to use my body as a "guinea pig" I can!

I am sure your grandmother is a fine lady and meant well. At one time, Lysol was even recommended by physicians. However, it was shown to be inadvisable --- as early as 1936. It is not good for the skin and especially not good for the genital area. There are much better options now.

You may choose to use it for yourself if you wish. I would suggest that others think for themselves and consider consulting their doctors before using a comercial disinfectant in a Sitz bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
... using COMMON SENSE, something a lot of people have lost and therefore need something like the FDA to do it for them....
Common sense advice would be "don't use something that you normally use to clean soap scum off your shower door, inside your vagina."

And the FDA recommends that you not use something that you normally use to clean soap scum off your shower door, inside your vagina. That is precisely WHY the FDA recommends this: because some people just lack common sense.

You grew up healthy despite your grandmother's lack of understanding about chemicals. Your grandmother lived to a ripe old age despite her lack of understanding about chemicals. Not because of it.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Warning labels are there for a reason. "Do not ingest" or "skin irritant" are pretty big take serious warnings.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Common sense advice would be "don't use something that you normally use to clean soap scum off your shower door, inside your vagina.".

Never thought anyone would need a warning for this.... but there you go.....

Funniest thing I have read in a long time. Now we know where the crazy warning on things came from, like "do not iron clothes while wearing."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Never thought anyone would need a warning for this.... but there you go.....

Funniest thing I have read in a long time. Now we know where the crazy warning on things came from, like "do not iron clothes while wearing."
You apparently ignored the fact that DOCTORS did recommend this in the past when there was NO such warning, and it was obviously safe enough to do AS DIRECTED because my aunt actually got well. And no one knows the circumstances either, this happened in another country, in the early '60s, during a time of a political REVOLUTION when things were in total chaos, my aunt was actually lucky to survive. So you go ahead and laugh it off, it only speaks of your character and the only people who look bad here are those who think they are so "smart".

And btw, the reason Lysol was discontinued for douching had NOTHING to do with it's "toxicity", but for the same reason douching in general has been discouraged in more recent times, there is a "flora" in the vagina that needs to be in balance. However, as it's the case with MANY medications, the benefit often outweighs some of the possible side effects, case in point is the even excessive use of ANTIBIOTICS which decimate the intestinal flora with many dire consequences that can last for years and give origin to many serious diseases, but I bet you and the others will say nothing against that.

Last edited by TiredOfSFL; 04-06-2013 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Adding something

Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
No, it wasn't "obviously safe enough to do as directed" or any other way. For the same reason that it wasn't "obviously safe enough" to prescribe LSD to combat psychosis, and for the same reason that Coca Cola was endorsed by doctors when the ingredients included cocaine, to be used as a mental tonic. For the same reason that physicians endorsed and encouraged smoking, and for the same reason doctors recommended tonsillectomies in children with sore throats, even if there was no indication of diseased tonsils.

The reason Lysol's warning labels include directions to keep it away from the skin and mucous membranes, is because it is *harmful* to skin and mucous membanes. It always was harmful. The flora in the vagina balances itself. With very few exceptions, there is no reason to -ever- douche - with or without Lysol. And in fact, douching has fallen out of favor because it is known to -encourage- infection, not treat it.

The facts haven't changed - douching has always encouraged infection. It's just that the understanding of it has changed.

Which brings us back to the initial topic:

Cold sores and fever blisters, and home remedies.

Do not use Lysol on the skin or on mucous membranes. Moderator cut: off topic. Let's be polite.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-06-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
PLEASE - Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-06-2013 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: see the TOS

Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Ok....well.....this is not on the Lysol train....

to treat a cold sore, try a plain asprin, just wet it and hold against the sore, as long as you can. Make sure its plain asprin, not some fancied up brand. Its usually the cheapest one in the drugstore.

Or, one could go to a doctor....but who can afford that? See, by the time we pay for our health insurance, we can't afford the copays, etc, so....can't afford the doctor because we have insurance

Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:

Apparently you barely skimmed over my post, please go back and read where I wrote my Grandmother used a solution, so all that info was just a waste of your time. And I still don't see your point, like I said lots and lots of Rx meds are poisonous when used improperly (and many anyway), but of course only people who need some so-called authority to tell them what to do them wont' be able to tell the difference. I thank God He gave me the ability to think for myself and also FREE WILL so if I want to use my body as a "guinea pig" I can!
In defense of Lysol products.... When my father was stationed at a military base during WWII, he was assigned "KP" (kitchen duty), and cut himself badly while doing some prep work. Two of his fingers got very badly infected and the military doctor wanted to operate and possibly even amputate them.

My dad, being the independent cuss that he was told the doctor to "stick it" and bought a bottle of the "old fashioned" Lysol (in the brown glass bottle with the yellow cap), and proceeded to soak his fingers on a nightly basis (probably several times a day, at first anyway). The infection cleared up and his fingers healed perfectly, which was very important to him, since he played guitar for a living in his civilian life.

Throughout my childhood, we never went without a bottle of Lysol in the medicine cabinet and used it frequently. I can't say that the Lysol was responsible, but I never had an infection. It might have just been a coincidence, but I doubt it.

I noticed that back in 2008 I responded to this thread with a recommendation to use Lysine. Since that time I have discovered something that works even better. If you are interested, please DM me, I won't post the info here, because I don't need the negativity in my life. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I noticed that back in 2008 I responded to this thread with a recommendation to use Lysine. Since that time I have discovered something that works even better. If you are interested, please DM me, I won't post the info here, because I don't need the negativity in my life. LOL

You can feel free to post here if you would like to as long as it is not advertising. Others are free to discuss, but only politely and with no rudeness or personal attacks. Posts that break the TOS will be deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine