Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Natural cures: nutritional supplements, Essiac tea, chemotherapy, cancer research, oncologist.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 AM

15 posts, read 55,577 times

Advertisements

I am having trouble understanding why it is so hard to get information on natural cures and treatments that work. I have several friends and acquaintances that have had pretty good results from some of the natural remedies such as Essiac tea, nutritional supplements, herbal remedies and even mind control to enhance their conventional treatments (sometimes they drop the conventional treatments, which I do not suggest). in the Oncologist office we have had some very interesting looks when mentioning some of these remedies. They try to steer the conversation away from the topic.
I know about the big money, but some of the remedies I know of actually help sooth the effects chemotherapy, radiation, or just the effects of the cancer. Some of the products actually promote the shrinkage of tumors, thinning of blood, the increase of white blood cells, and preventing nausea are among the many advantages that some of these products have. Our doctors scoff, or even complain if asked if it's ok to try natural herbs etc. while battling cancer.
I hope in the future some of these products can be at least suggested, or acknowledged among more professionals in the field of cancer, and in some cases they should be recommended. For years now doctors have used the phrase “there hasn’t been enough research done in that area for it to be a safe treatment”. I have been hearing that for many years, so the research must have been done by now on some of these treatments. Why aren’t the results being recognized by medical professionals yet? I am afraid that big money has gotten in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
It IS all about the $$$$$$! They can't charge you high fees for everyday common things so there is no money to be made in natural cures.

I have never had a doctor tell me to lower my cholesterol by eating healthy or even offer me a list of foods to help lower it and foods to avoid.. They do immediately hand you a Rx for statin drugs instead.

They want to treat with medicine rather than cure anymore.. In my whole life, I only had ONE doctor tell me to take a supplement for a problem I was having and that supplement gave me better results than we both expected.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPaulD View Post
I am having trouble understanding why it is so hard to get information on natural cures and treatments that work. I have several friends and acquaintances that have had pretty good results from some of the natural remedies such as Essiac tea, nutritional supplements, herbal remedies and even mind control to enhance their conventional treatments (sometimes they drop the conventional treatments, which I do not suggest). in the Oncologist office we have had some very interesting looks when mentioning some of these remedies. They try to steer the conversation away from the topic.
I know about the big money, but some of the remedies I know of actually help sooth the effects chemotherapy, radiation, or just the effects of the cancer. Some of the products actually promote the shrinkage of tumors, thinning of blood, the increase of white blood cells, and preventing nausea are among the many advantages that some of these products have. Our doctors scoff, or even complain if asked if it's ok to try natural herbs etc. while battling cancer.
I hope in the future some of these products can be at least suggested, or acknowledged among more professionals in the field of cancer, and in some cases they should be recommended. For years now doctors have used the phrase “there hasn’t been enough research done in that area for it to be a safe treatment”. I have been hearing that for many years, so the research must have been done by now on some of these treatments. Why aren’t the results being recognized by medical professionals yet? I am afraid that big money has gotten in the way.

Some very big assumptions here...

1. Just because time has passed since a prospective treatment was mentioned does not mean anyone has gone to the trouble of researching said treatment to see if its effective.

2. You are assuming in some of these cases, even if the research was done, the results were positive and said treatment should be recommended when in fact said treatment may have been shown to be worthless. Maybe the results "are being recogized by medical professionals"

3. There is also big money to be made in the supplement/alternative realm. If promoters of these products could "prove" they work it would behoove them to do so. Unfortunately the majority of claims made on these products are bogus and "research" would cost these folks money if people found out how useless the products really are.

4. I know many oncologists personally. It takes a special person to go into this field, many that I know chose to do so based on very personal family experience with cancer. Oncologists are not "with holding" potential cures or effective treatments in search of the mighty $$$. If it could have been proven that Laetrile worked or tree bark cured cancer the doc's I know would be giving it away. The simple truth is that many supplement manufacturers and alternative practitioners prey on peoples' fear at a very vulnerable time making outrageous claims on unproven treatments...

Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Oh money always gets in the way.

But you can find the things. You just have to research. There is a what they call "complementary treatment" where an alternative health is coupled with conventional western treatments.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Doctors put there stocks into pharmaceuticals so therefore, they push the drugs and most people gladly fall for the bait.
If you think about it, doctors don't cure diseases and they have no idea on what to do to anyone other than write prescriptions.
About the only thing you can do is ask around and see if you can locate a holistic doctor somewhere near you that's interested in helping you get well. Also go to a health food store. They've got some good reading books.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Some very big assumptions here...

1. Just because time has passed since a prospective treatment was mentioned does not mean anyone has gone to the trouble of researching said treatment to see if its effective.

2. You are assuming in some of these cases, even if the research was done, the results were positive and said treatment should be recommended when in fact said treatment may have been shown to be worthless. Maybe the results "are being recogized by medical professionals"

3. There is also big money to be made in the supplement/alternative realm. If promoters of these products could "prove" they work it would behoove them to do so. Unfortunately the majority of claims made on these products are bogus and "research" would cost these folks money if people found out how useless the products really are.

4. I know many oncologists personally. It takes a special person to go into this field, many that I know chose to do so based on very personal family experience with cancer. Oncologists are not "with holding" potential cures or effective treatments in search of the mighty $$$. If it could have been proven that Laetrile worked or tree bark cured cancer the doc's I know would be giving it away. The simple truth is that many supplement manufacturers and alternative practitioners prey on peoples' fear at a very vulnerable time making outrageous claims on unproven treatments...

Number 1...Wrong.
Number 2...Wrong, and what...are you suggesting this doesn't occur, and hasn't been occurring for years in mainstream???
Number 3...Right in the first line but wrong in all the rest.
Number 4...Ignoring the first part and moving straight onto the "tree bark" curing thing, some alternatives have been proven to work, you're just not aware of it that's all, but that's OK, and I seriously doubt they would 'give' anything away, I appreciated the pun though. The closing part about "many supplement manufacturers...., preying on people....", I'm pleased to hear you accept some do not, thanks for that. I'm now a little more confident that you will see the big picture eventually.

*Disclaimer!!*: [my opinion, supported by some personal 'alternative' successes]

Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 AM

15 posts, read 55,577 times
Default All good points

I believe that the majority of Medical Professionals in the area of cancer are doing what they think is best. I also think that Oncologists think that some of the alternative medicines may interfere with what they are doing because they do not know anything about those medicines, or herbal treatments. Most doctors promoting natural treatments were in the mainstream medical profession at one time. Many of them kind of stepped out of the box to try things that weren't accepted in the Medical field. The American Medical Association does not promote much of the natural herbal products because common knowledge of the effects were not researched completely by the AMA, pharmacies etc. A lot of it never will be researched by major medical companies. There is however companies researching natural products in a big way these days.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
I would probably say it is lack of info on the alternative treatments. They are not tested or approved and medical doctors have no idea how they will react with the simultanious use conventional medicine. They could very well decrease the efficacy of medical LIFE SAVING drugs. Why would you think they should recommend something they don't know about? Just because a sick patient reads about it on the internet? In turn, if the chemo does'nt work as well because the cancer patient wanted to take an alternative herb to ease the pain. Now the herb has interfered with the outcome of the life saving chemo... will they sue the doctor because he did not advocate loud enough against the use of the herb in conjunction with the chemo? Doctors use what they know...and that is the way it should be. Why don't people just go ahead and take it on their own if their doctors don't know about it...It seems people want their confirmation that it is safe. And the safety of alternative meds has never been confirmed... So you want your doctor to confirm it's safe to use? In conjunction with another med? And your baffled as to why he/she won't?

What does money have to do with it? What does he/she lose if you take the herb or not take the herb?

Last edited by *Danielle*; 01-12-2009 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Well....I did my own healing through fasting,herb and nutrition and screwed the western medical system out of over 20,000 in surgery that I "needed"

Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM

287 posts, read 549,134 times
I had the same question in mind when talking to my daughter's psychiatrist about having her refer us to a Nutritionist to see if there was maybe, possibly, ways to help with her ADHD/Bipolar by altering her diet in some way. She still won't refer us and unfortunately with my daughter's insurance we have to have a referral. She did, however, put her on 2 different meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine