U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 01:14 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,480,116 times

Advertisements

My mother-in-law is big into alternative and holistic medicine. I’m sure that has its place. But for my mother-in-law, if it is standard, accepted medicine she is distrustful. Conversely, if it is alternative or holistic, she seems willing to accept it without asking questions.

I say this because my wife has been having problems with irregular cycles. So her mother convinced her to go to a doctor at a holistic clinic. She came back with a $130 worth of vitamins (that this doctor conveniently sells in his clinic), and a prescription for all-natural progesterone cream. This is filled only at one pharmacy in the city, and is not covered under our insurance and costs $54 a month.

So the bottom line is if she follows this doctor’s advice, she’ll be on vitamins and all natural progesterone cream costing us $184 a month, none of which is covered by our insurance.

Like I said, I’m ok with using natural cures, as long as it is proven to work, and the cost-benefits outweigh using traditional pharmaceuticals. And at this point, I’m not sure any of this is proven to work. And my wife isn’t too thrilled with this approach either, because she’s literally required to take over ten vitamin pills a day. But she’s going to try it for a month and see. Also, doesn’t it seem somewhat unethical for this doctor to suggest all these expensive vitamins and then sell them right in his office?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,314,372 times
May I ask how old your wife is? Could the irregular cycles be the beginning of menopause?

As far as the vitamins, I can't imagine them helping at all with irregular cycles. This seems like a sales tactic to me.

I think I would have had my hormones tested by an endocrinologist to see if there was a problem before I would start using progesterone. And insurance would probably pay for that. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 PM

7,084 posts, read 11,582,752 times
That's a great deal of money for vitamins and hormones, I would try and find out what she's taking at the dosages...you can easily OD on something like Iron or Chromium if you are gulping them down. Also, talk to an endocrinologist...if she is taking enough of the stuff to require a pharmacist to dispense it, natural or not, it's good to get her levels tested.

I don't know anything about the alternative medicine practitioner, many sell things in their offices because they are not available in many areas. The problem there is that there is no barrier of entry to become a practitioner...I've seen practitioners from some one who just read a natural cures book to some one who printed off a Ph.D. in Wiccanography from Haiti after paying them $500 offering their services to help people. There's also some people who take it very seriously, and do internships and shadow people for a couple years to learn and do well (they even had a program at a hospital I worked at).

The thing is, don't just trust people because what they say they are...read up on what they give at least, if not also check out their education and background. Honestly...I don't even trust doctors 100%, I read up on what they give me and what's going on to stay informed.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,480,116 times
She's 32 years old. She's had this problem off and on since a teenager. I know this guy is a real doctor, because our insurance did at least cover the office portion of the visit. But other than that, I don't know his background at all.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:13 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,067,868 times
my doctor specializes in the progesterone creme. He sells it right there. He has helped many patients with many problems without synthetic and dangerous hormones.

If it works it works. If not then stop.

quack? no

Old 05-01-2009, 03:29 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,238,868 times
The stuff my doctor prescribed for me I have to get made at a compound pharmacy and it is not covered by my insurance either... he is a regular doctor too, not holistic. However this holistic person must be recognized if they can prescribe a RX compound being made at a pharmacy..

Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 AM

23 posts, read 103,465 times
I think doctors like to keep things on hand because they know how fresh it is. Regular doctors do this too and I really don't see the difference...But anyway vitamin therapy is part of helping the issue:
Irregular Periods

Have her start eating and drinking soy. She should get a traditional cancer screening if she doesn't already.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 AM

9,101 posts, read 15,761,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
My mother-in-law is big into alternative and holistic medicine. I’m sure that has its place. But for my mother-in-law, if it is standard, accepted medicine she is distrustful. Conversely, if it is alternative or holistic, she seems willing to accept it without asking questions.

I say this because my wife has been having problems with irregular cycles. So her mother convinced her to go to a doctor at a holistic clinic. She came back with a $130 worth of vitamins (that this doctor conveniently sells in his clinic), and a prescription for all-natural progesterone cream. This is filled only at one pharmacy in the city, and is not covered under our insurance and costs $54 a month.

So the bottom line is if she follows this doctor’s advice, she’ll be on vitamins and all natural progesterone cream costing us $184 a month, none of which is covered by our insurance.

Like I said, I’m ok with using natural cures, as long as it is proven to work, and the cost-benefits outweigh using traditional pharmaceuticals. And at this point, I’m not sure any of this is proven to work. And my wife isn’t too thrilled with this approach either, because she’s literally required to take over ten vitamin pills a day. But she’s going to try it for a month and see. Also, doesn’t it seem somewhat unethical for this doctor to suggest all these expensive vitamins and then sell them right in his office?
The naturopaths I go to in the Providence/Boston area, with 30 years experience, (I've been seeing them off and on for nearly 20) would never have anyone on more than 6 supplements taken 3 times a day --at a time. She could contact them, especially on Saturdays after their radio show which is at 8-10 AM eastern standard time. They will answer questions for free all day if they are available (ask for Jane or Peter), and ask them if they think what the holistic practitioners she went to recommended was too much and which of the supplements she could do without. They may even suggest more effective ones. She should be sure and mention to them she thinks it is too expensive and there are too many. Their website is www.holistichealthline.com. By the way, their radio show streams live so anyone with a computer can hear it and they see out of area patients via phone appt which is how I "see" them now that i'm no longer living in New England. They have patients all over the world.

They have always maintained that too many supplements sends mixed messages to the brain.

For hormonal balancing, I've found, just taking a therapeutic dose( 2x what the directions say on the bottle) of a QUALITY essential fatty acid supplement, does a WORLD of good for hormone balancing. I know because I've had those issues. I take DHA by Nordic Naturals. In the past I've had luck with just taking 5 mgs of DHEA twice a day. The DHEA cost less than $10! However I also take 3000 mgs of Vit C and 400 IUs of Vit E and Vitamin B just for overall health.

The other thing that is a must is getting enough sleep -- at least 8 hours a day; eating well including adding WHOLE GRAINS such as long grain brown rice and a natural whole grains cereal to yoour diet. (I like cereals by Natures Path Organic and I use Vanilla Rice milk instead of cows milk on my cereal which tastes better and is much better for you.) Also adding dark leafy greens both raw(mesclun mix) and cooked (kale, collard greens etc) cutting out or way down on sugary foods and refined wheat (white bread, rolls, bagels, cookies, cakes, crackers) and cutting down or cutting out dairy has worked for me. I'm also not a big meat eater and have chicken maybe once a week but have fish more often. Instead I eat rice and bean dishes, for example.

I should also add that many people do have luck with a good natural progesterone cream. The trick is finding out which of the myriad of supplements are the most effective rather than just somewhat effective. Peter and Jane at the Tree of Life Center www.holistichealthline.com will know.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 AM

9,101 posts, read 15,761,950 times
In defense of the practitioner your wife saw, he probably know worlds more about natural medicine than a medical doctor who has never been trained in health or in real prevention or in strengthening ones immune system or in discovering the underlying CAUSE of a disease and eliminating it as conventional medical doctors are strictly trained in allopathic western medicine which is strictly about controlling SYMPTOMS with drugs and surgery and "helping the patient live longer with the disease or conditons". The main difference is that conventional doctors are trained to help you live WITH the disease while traditional practitioners of natural medicines such as in homeopathy, chinese medicine, naturopathy and others, doctors will help you permanently get RID of the disease or conditon and give you your full health back! The former is obviously more lucrative but as a patient, wouldn't you rather have your health back (even if it meant sacrificing favorite junk foods while healing over a few months)? The good thing about natural medicine is it is possible to get your complete health back and no longer need supplements.

Here is the type of training a Naturopath, who would be most abreast of all the modes of natural medicine would have http://www.naturopathic.org/

I like the Tree of Life Center because besides being fountains of knowledge about natural medicine they also have a strong grasp of western medicine as Jane was a nurse who worked in intensive care at Mass General (i'm pretty sure) and Dr Wim Jansen was a former medical doctor. The two of them also own the oldest or longest running health food store in New England.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:02 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,171,212 times
Holistic docs are not as busy as reg. docs so I think they tend to push the vitamins a little to the extreme. Reg. docs push prescrips to extreme. The only difference is one is covered and one is not. I would rather take vitamins than drugs anyday. But yes, holistic care is $$$$$$$! I wish I could afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine