Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,498,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Actually that's not what a placebo effect is...but nice try.

The rest of the rant....ehh....not really such a good try....
That's really funny, thanks for that.

Wiki ...{a placebo in itself}

[A placebo is a sham or simulated medical intervention that can produce a placebo effect. In medical research, placebos depend on the use of controlled and measured deception.]

Don't need to include the full content, this is close enough for the average Joe/Jenny Bloggs to get the idea, but if one wants to read the full content one will see the striking similarities. Just delete the referance to medical research and replace with whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You clearly have no understanding of the placebo effect. You are writing about the placebo itself, not the effect.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:31 PM
ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You clearly have no understanding of the placebo effect. You are writing about the placebo itself, not the effect.
I believe it was you who mentioned 'placebo'.

Yourdictionary.com {could be another placebo for all I know}

[Placebo...A placebo is a tablet, liquid, or other form of medication that actually contains no active ingredients.]

Placebo/Placebo effect? apples and apples from what I can see.

But since placebo is the 'in' word here it cannot/should not be used in the context of alternative medicine/therapies/modalities, it's a word that applies to conventional medicine. There is no alternative/natural medicine or therapy that I know of that fails to carry with it *some* effectiveness therefore placebo/placebo effect in this context is not applicable. In electromedicine the effects may not be fully understood...but there *is/are* effects {there are no 'sugar pills' in electromedicine}, in natural medicine the effects may not be fully understood...but there *is/are* effects {there's no 'sugar pills' in natural medicine, natural sugar praps, but no sugar pills}.

When discussing any form of medicine/therapy/modality outside of conventional medicine, as we know it, there should be an alternative 'wording' used to more accurately describe such modalities, placebo is not applicable in my opinion.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
I believe it was you who mentioned 'placebo'.

Yourdictionary.com {could be another placebo for all I know}

[Placebo...A placebo is a tablet, liquid, or other form of medication that actually contains no active ingredients.]

Placebo/Placebo effect? apples and apples from what I can see.

But since placebo is the 'in' word here it cannot/should not be used in the context of alternative medicine/therapies/modalities, it's a word that applies to conventional medicine. There is no alternative/natural medicine or therapy that I know of that fails to carry with it *some* effectiveness therefore placebo/placebo effect in this context is not applicable. In electromedicine the effects may not be fully understood...but there *is/are* effects {there are no 'sugar pills' in electromedicine}, in natural medicine the effects may not be fully understood...but there *is/are* effects {there's no 'sugar pills' in natural medicine, natural sugar praps, but no sugar pills}.

When discussing any form of medicine/therapy/modality outside of conventional medicine, as we know it, there should be an alternative 'wording' used to more accurately describe such modalities, placebo is not applicable in my opinion.
Let me make this simple you can possibly understand it....

YOU compared a "placebo" with religion, fairies, mystical blah, blah, blah....

If you had any idea what you were talking about you would know that the whole point behind "placebos" and the "placebo effect" is the fact that the person taking the placebo has no idea that they are taking a placebo...

And the use of the term "placebo effect" is quite appropriate when discussing many "alternative" therapies since there is no other rational explanation for any benefit that some of them may actually confer....

As for your comment there are no alternative therapies that FAIL to "carry some effectiveness"???

Now THAT is funny....seriously.....thanks for the laugh

I think it would be generous to believe even 10% of alternative therapies are of ANY benefit....but hey....keep on believin dude.....

Old 09-17-2010, 03:44 AM
ino

[YOU compared a "placebo" with religion, fairies, mystical blah, blah, blah....]
Refer to the last bit of that wiki definition..."...controlled and measured deception".

[I think it would be generous to believe...etc etc], praps you could cite me some that YOU'VE tried, if not, then it doesn't matter a hoot what you...THINK.

[no other rational explanation for any benefit that some of them may actually confer....]
Well, I'm glad to hear that you agree some of them DO have something to offer, so why bash em? Again, if you have tried some and they haven't worked for you then praps you could let everyone know so they can be made aware of them.

Praps I could have explained it better, alternative medicine/therapies/modalities DON'T come with sugar pills etc etc, they are as they are, they either work or they don't work, and they probly don't ALL work, and there's a chance they won't work for everyone, not dissimilar to conventional medicine I'd say.

One can't just knock alternatives because they don't believe in it. I hear plenty of people who say if they include some form of 'spiritual' something or other with medicine it will help...that smacks of placebo to me...'controlled and measured deception'. Everyone has their own opinions on things don't they. Conventional medicine has a place...but then so do alternatives...I don't deny conventional medicine has it's own efficacies, but to deny alternatives have THEIR own efficacies is just plain arrogant and/or unintelligent.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
[YOU compared a "placebo" with religion, fairies, mystical blah, blah, blah....]
Refer to the last bit of that wiki definition..."...controlled and measured deception".

[I think it would be generous to believe...etc etc], praps you could cite me some that YOU'VE tried, if not, then it doesn't matter a hoot what you...THINK.

[no other rational explanation for any benefit that some of them may actually confer....]
Well, I'm glad to hear that you agree some of them DO have something to offer, so why bash em? Again, if you have tried some and they haven't worked for you then praps you could let everyone know so they can be made aware of them.

Praps I could have explained it better, alternative medicine/therapies/modalities DON'T come with sugar pills etc etc, they are as they are, they either work or they don't work, and they probly don't ALL work, and there's a chance they won't work for everyone, not dissimilar to conventional medicine I'd say.

One can't just knock alternatives because they don't believe in it. I hear plenty of people who say if they include some form of 'spiritual' something or other with medicine it will help...that smacks of placebo to me...'controlled and measured deception'. Everyone has their own opinions on things don't they. Conventional medicine has a place...but then so do alternatives...I don't deny conventional medicine has it's own efficacies, but to deny alternatives have THEIR own efficacies is just plain arrogant and/or unintelligent.
Dude...every time you use "placebo" in a sentence you make it more and more clear you have absolutely no idea what a placebo or placebo effect is..

Just quit while your behind.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 AM
ino

No worries, I can see you're between a rock and a hard place.

I'm done here.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:50 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
So I take it, you scoffers do not believe that electricity can kill little bacteria and viruses?

And you are also clueless about the effects of a magnetic field on bacteria and viruses.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
So I take it, you scoffers do not believe that electricity can kill little bacteria and viruses?

And you are also clueless about the effects of a magnetic field on bacteria and viruses.
I am aware that there is absolutely no clinical application as of yet to correlate with the FEW studies that have shown magnetic fields have a slight bacteriostatic effect...

Lysol is bactericidal....maybe we should all just drink that?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:43 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
What does lysol have to do with electro magnetic effects?

I can tell you from personal experience that both the zapper and the magnets do work.

I have 6"x3"x1" magnet that, if you were here, I would invite you to sit on....and I'll bet you wouldn't sit long and you would learn that there is indeed an effect.

You do know, don't you that there are electric bug zappers? They have a light that attracts the bugs; bugs fly into it, get zapped by the electrified wire grid. So why is it so hard to believe the a smaller current couldn't kill smaller bugs?

A magnet will kill your computer.
How's that for an effect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine