Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:53 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times

Advertisements

I always wondered what the "mother" meant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I put it on my scalp and use it on my face.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
I always wondered what the "mother" meant!
It's the stringy stuff in the natural ACV from fermenting.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:44 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
My grandmother used it to control her wt. She made a drink thats on the "Braggs" label and sipped it over ice thru the day. She said it controled her appetite. Yes, she was in very good shape. Reading this thread has inspired me to give it a try for summer. They sell "Braggs" (with the mother) at Whole Foods. Putting a few teaspoons in your dogs food also is supposed to help keep fleas away. I like this idea more then the chemicals like Frontline.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:38 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
I see some of you are using ACV, when you should be using white vinegar....such as laundry, hair...etc.
I've even seen some say they clean with ACV....it's white vinegar that you clean with....or you'll have a sticky residue...
I'm going to try the ACV for some of the stuff posted here.....it beats going on meds for this minor stuff.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I see some of you are using ACV, when you should be using white vinegar....such as laundry, hair...etc.
I've even seen some say they clean with ACV....it's white vinegar that you clean with....or you'll have a sticky residue...
I'm going to try the ACV for some of the stuff posted here.....it beats going on meds for this minor stuff.
You are correct. I also have a gallon of white vinegar for cleaning, the drains, brines etc. ACV, if you get the natural, is not cheap, so I use that for salads and my "cocktail".

Old 05-30-2009, 08:07 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Ever since my Dad got a copy of D.C. Jarvis's book on ACV back in 1960, I've been using it as a general health supplement. We've used the Bragg brand for decades, although we've found others that work just as well ... but not as readily available. Jarvis used ACV and honey for many of his "natural" remedies, with anecdotal evidence of it's effectiveness.

When my Dad visited us in the high altitude country and got badly sunburned (on an overcast day), the ACV was the answer for his rapid healing from near 2nd degree burns on his arms and face.

We use it as a natural treatment for all kinds of issues around the farm, such as adding it to the water of our turkey poults and baby chicks. It clears up intestinal problems in the turkeys, and prevents all kinds of bacterial infections in both birds. For much less money and just as effective as powerful anti-biotics and other feed additives for the poultry.

I've found that sweating it out is a great help in minimizing mosquito and biting fly attacks in the back country or when trail riding. Not only for me, but for my horses. Also helps keep the skin clear on our goats and sheep ... again, a far more cost effective and "natural" way to deal with common problems instead of using more powerful/toxic/expensive conventional meds.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:12 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
I take a teaspoonful of ACV in water every evening before dinner, it's really helped my acid reflux. And none of the wonder drugs of modern medicine like Zantac or Prilosec have helped me at all.

I also use white vinegar around the house for cleaning, it works fine and is nontoxic, unlike commercial cleaners.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Lately I eliminated the tsp of honey with the 1 tbs of ACV and water. The honey is a pain to add (dissolve), plus it's probably healthier w/o.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:52 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
You are correct. I use ACV on my scalp, but if you want to rinse the shampoo residue out of your hair, you want white vinegar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine