Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 14,761 times

Advertisements

What do you think about osteopathy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rena86 View Post
What do you think about osteopathy?
Moderator cut: discussion of mod action is not allowed

See here for general explanation:

Osteopathic medicine in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-24-2013 at 06:35 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...com/osteopathy

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...ent/osteopathy

It could be classified under either conventional or alternative medicine. Since the conventional medicine forum is overloaded and the mod does not appreciate having any more threads dumped in that forum, the decision was made to leave it here.

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-24-2013 at 06:47 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
What do I think about osteopathic medicine? I think it's a valid, mainstream medicine, and not alternative at all. In other words, I agree with the USA, and Canada, and many other countries worldwide that accept osteopathic medicine as valid and mainstream. Since the OP's question is "what do you think of" it - I feel my opinion is not only valid, but appropriate, and on-topic.

I personally don't go to a doctor of osteopathic medicine, because I'm set in my ways and I'm satisfied with the care I'm currently getting. But if I felt otherwise, I would certainly have no problem going to a doctor of osteopathic medicine and would likely welcome a different view of my health, at that time.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,310 times
Yes, the history of DO is interesting; they did 'ditch' their alternative approaches in order to obtain mainstream/conventional acceptance and hospital priviledges. [though some DO's do practice manual manipulation still and increasingly some are adding cranial therapy back to the mix: Well known and highly regarded examples of this would be James Jealous, Rollin Becker and Viola Frymann.]

In the US today, most people would not know the difference if their Dr. or whoever they happen to see at at the hospital or clinic or through their HMO, was an MD or a DO, except their name badge would indicate this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine