Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
I just fill it half with warm water half with the solution. I sniff up one nostril then the other and then blow. Sometimes I gargle with it as well if my throat feels off.

I like that cup because it is not as big as the standard neti pot or other sinus "douch" cups I have had.
You can make your own saline solution at home (cheaper) and then use a baby bulb syringe to squirt it up your nose. My allergists have recommeded this for years and I finally got desperate enough to try it - they were right! Keeps down my allergic reactions by flushing out the allergens. Also helps clear a stuffy nose.

Don't think it will help against the flu.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-24-2009 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 09:51 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Vitamins C and D, and herbal supplement Andrographis

ANDROGRAPHIS: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Old 10-24-2009, 09:59 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You can make your own saline solution at home (cheaper) and then use a baby bulb syringe to squirt it up your nose. My allergists have recommeded this for years and I finally got desperate enough to try it - they were right! Keeps down my allergic reactions by flushing out the allergens. Also helps clear a stuffy nose.

Don't think it will help against the flu.
it can be very useful when a cold is coming on.
the flu ... i dunno.
and a neti pot (traditional in india) works best, imo.
http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/NetiPot/NetiPotInstructions.aspx (broken link)
i'm not endorsing this product but this video does demonstrate how to use a neti pot for those who are unfamiliar with it.
you can find nice, traditional ceramic ones at most health food stores.
she's using tap water.
i don't.
use good water and the extra product she adds may be beneficial but it's not necessary.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:51 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
I've found that Boiron Homeopathics Oscillococcinum Flu Remedy works well for me and my friends. You take it at the first sign of the flu--i.e., fatigue or you've been exposed. Take as directed. I've found that I either don't get the flu at all, or get a much milder case than others do.

Another product form the same company, Boiron, Cold Calm tablets, also help a lot with colds, alleviate the symptoms and shorten the duration.

You can buy these products in most larger drugstores, but they cost much less to buy on line. Do a Google search to find outlets.

Boron is a French company and their products have been used by millions in France for years. They're highly regarded as effective, with no side effects as they're homeopathic.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM

315 posts, read 776,195 times
You can eat all the greens, get all the rest, sip all the tea, meditate all you like, munch on the front lawn for months, but when this nasty virus gets ahold of you, it will have its way. Trust me on this, I'm going through it right now. Possible "seasoned, experienced been through war a few times" immune systems are fairing much better with this virus, then those that are in their prime in overly healthy young people.

This is not your ordinary flu folks. It's horrible! Avoid it at all costs! 1.22% are dying from it, with about 7% requiring hospitalization. And that is now, wait till it travels around the globe a few more times and gains strength.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
I'm truly sorry Mr. Harman has had such a nasty case of this flu, but I do think each of our mileages will vary.

We're each of a different age, with a different immunity level, and a different state of health. Because of this, some, like Mr. Harman, will have dreadful cases of flu, while others will have much milder forms.

And each of us has to decide which cautions we will take to prevent and lessen our exposure and symptoms.

As I said in my posting about about the Boiron products, they work for me, they work for my friends and they're been used in France for a good long time because of their effectiveness. They're my first line of defense.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,730 times
Most of my family contracted H1N1. Not sure why I didn't. As far as treatment: had them avoid painkillers in order to allow the fever to do its virus-killing thing. Tricky b/c this flu came with a headache when it began! Made sure they drank plenty of liquids, and avoid milk products like the plague as they are mucous manufacturers -- LOL. They got plenty of rest. They stayed home. They took guafinasin to keep the mucous thin so that it wouldn't irritate their lungs. They did not take any cough supressants so as to allow the bad germs to be expelled by the lungs. We had the humidifiers going full blast. Put them on the BRATT diet when the vomiting started. Pleased to say, no one had to go to the hospital. One did have to get tamiflu b/c they didn't get the memo about avoiding taking a painkiller when the headache arrived. We drink OJ every day loaded w/ vitamin C, D and calcium. I got serious about my health when I spent an entire winter coughing.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:41 PM

49 posts, read 162,622 times
I work in a large county office building. 2 people, in the office next to ours, were sent home last week, and it's been confirmed that they have h1n1. much disinfecting went on friday at work. i've been doing a lot of reading and have been taking a prophylactic sambucol dose yesterday and today, but really don't know what else to do.

kaydeb

Old 10-24-2012, 02:14 AM

26 posts, read 118,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
You can eat all the greens, get all the rest, sip all the tea, meditate all you like, munch on the front lawn for months, but when this nasty virus gets ahold of you, it will have its way. Trust me on this, I'm going through it right now. Possible "seasoned, experienced been through war a few times" immune systems are fairing much better with this virus, then those that are in their prime in overly healthy young people.

This is not your ordinary flu folks. It's horrible! Avoid it at all costs! 1.22% are dying from it, with about 7% requiring hospitalization. And that is now, wait till it travels around the globe a few more times and gains strength.
I caught this in Calif 2009. Laid me out flat and hard. Never went to a doctor. Lost my sense of smell for a couple years. I stayed in bed for over a week, took daquil and nyquil nonstop. I had to. I havent been that sick in ages.
I caught it from a friend. His manager at work called a mandatory meeting and he was contagious and he knew it. They both work for the govt and have sick pay etc. I did not.
I was deathly sick just a few days after exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine