Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,685,789 times

Advertisements

Is anybody here taking an alternative approach to treating the H1N1 Swine Flu if you get it? Or even taking precaution by taking alternative preventive vitamins,herbs or so on? If so, tell us your bag of tricks!

I'm going to start adding extra Vitamin D, C and eat more veggies!

When i had a flu back in June , for congestion i used Ginger tea. Not from a bag. Made my own. Cut fresh Ginger root into apple size slices, boiled it for 5 mins, let simmer for another 5, and downed cups and cups of fresh hot Ginger tea. It broke my fever and cleared up my lungs! Helped me sleep better too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,064,252 times
Wow, good tip, thanks! Get some good sleep, exercise and take a multi with iron! A lot of woman don't realize they get low in iron but it can really down your immune system. Even being slightly low can make it harder to fight infections. Don't take to much either though! lol

I always use saline nose spray for allergies and colds. The salt helps with infections and mold. Other than those things I don't do anything else but use a lot of garlic and turmeric when cooking. I hear a teaspoon of honey is good for lung function. That would probably be a good pre treat against the flu season in general as well as the H1N1.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:03 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,968,858 times
We're doing extra vitamin D, washing our hands more frequently (but NOT with antibacterial soaps!), and garlic. Usually we do some sort of vitamin C/immune boost supplement this time of year, like Airborne or Emergen-C, but I did not buy any yet this year... does anyone have a recommendation for a good one? I don't want anything with echinacea.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,357,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
We're doing extra vitamin D, washing our hands more frequently (but NOT with antibacterial soaps!), and garlic. Usually we do some sort of vitamin C/immune boost supplement this time of year, like Airborne or Emergen-C, but I did not buy any yet this year... does anyone have a recommendation for a good one? I don't want anything with echinacea.

How about Amla Berry? This is the only vitamin C supplement we take.

The Amazing Amla Berry - Indian Gooseberry

Mod cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-21-2009 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM

374 posts, read 1,123,161 times
I have been taking extra Vitamin D (my levels were low), a MultiVitamin, and I just bought some Elderberry Syrup, which showed to reduce flu symptoms in about 88% of participants in studies. I also just ordered and began taking MucoCoccinum, a preparation to challenge the immune system and act as a prevenative measure against flu, pneumonia, etc. It is supposed to be an alternative to the vaccine. I was a little bit nervous about it, but did my homework and discussed it with a Naturopathic MD, and feel okay about it. I have been reading quite a bit about the Vitamin D and its role in immune system functioning. I had a friend at work that swore by her concoction of lemon juice, maple syrup or honey, and cayenne pepper made into a tea! I cound't really stomach the stuff- but she drank it every day all winter! Thanks for starting the thread, nice to have a place to post some of the non-Western medicine approaches!

Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 AM

894 posts, read 4,343,432 times
High quality probiotics, Vitamin D, Magnesium, C, Garlic, Green Tea, lots of rest and nasal washing.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,305,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Is anybody here taking an alternative approach to treating the H1N1 Swine Flu if you get it? Or even taking precaution by taking alternative preventive vitamins,herbs or so on? If so, tell us your bag of tricks!

I'm going to start adding extra Vitamin D, C and eat more veggies!

When i had a flu back in June , for congestion i used Ginger tea. Not from a bag. Made my own. Cut fresh Ginger root into apple size slices, boiled it for 5 mins, let simmer for another 5, and downed cups and cups of fresh hot Ginger tea. It broke my fever and cleared up my lungs! Helped me sleep better too!

The fresh ginger really seems to help doesn't it?

A great concoction for flu (if you have a juicer) ..

freshly juiced ginger root
fresh squeezed lemon
honey
lots of cayenne
cranberry juice

Drink as a hot tonic .. works like a hot-damn.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:31 PM

14,941 posts, read 8,555,251 times
Look up Bionaid.. We use it (and we have no vested interest in anyone who sells this stuff). All I can say is that it's remarkable.

A similar product called oxy silver ... seems to be virtually the same thing .. and there is a lot of information presented by D.r Len Horowitz ..

Many mainstreamers consider Horowitz way out there (he is certainly an enemy of mainstream medicine), but I've read a couple of his books, and one of them "Emerging Viruses" is extremely well referenced and footnoted. Much of it is very dry reading, but documented very well.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,413,442 times
Old standbys: Lots and lots of vitamin C, Chicken noodle soup, extra rest. Good luck to us all.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,138,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Old standbys: Lots and lots of vitamin C, Chicken noodle soup, extra rest. Good luck to us all.
amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine