Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times

Advertisements

=^..^= wrote: Quite helpful at WHAT?

It provided a modest whitening, and it made my mouth feel very clean; moreso than toothpaste or mouthwash. Definitely a worthwhile experience. Hey but what do I know it was only my experience and not an extensive scientific study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
=^..^= wrote: Quite helpful at WHAT?

It provided a modest whitening, and it made my mouth feel very clean; moreso than toothpaste or mouthwash. Definitely a worthwhile experience. Hey but what do I know it was only my experience and not an extensive scientific study.
No insult intended but you're the type of alt med true believer who would claim anything they tried helped, made them feel better, was a worthwhile experience, cured them of [fill in blank], cured their friend's father's sister....

Tell us the alt med stuff you tried that was worthless and did nothing but lighten your wallet.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 PM

=^..^= wrote: No insult intended but you're the type of alt med true believer who would claim anything they tried helped, made them feel better, was a worthwhile experience, cured them of [fill in blank], cured their friend's father's sister....

Tell us the alt med stuff you tried that was worthless and did nothing but lighten your wallet.

There have indeed been some alt-med things that proved to be worthless for me, quite a few in fact, and I did spend some money that provided nothing in return. Nonetheless I'm still way ahead of the game financially when it comes to health related expenses. Other than my co-payment for cataract surgery a year ago, I've spent close to zero dollars on doctors and pharmaceuticals during the past 45 years. Based on what I observe about the health and the health related expenses of most people in my age bracket ( early 60s ), who have chosen to rely upon allopathic medicine and pharmaceutical drugs, I have many additional thousands of dollars in my bank account in comparison. Not only have they spent thousands of extra dollars for so-called health care, oftentimes they are no better off after their expensive allopathic treatments and they are now addicted to pharmaceutical drugs, with an expense that continues month after month after month. And we wonder why health care is so expensive!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-20-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,560,769 times
Someone on here said Ayurvedic med said 4 minutes was enough, so that's what I have been doing with coconut oil. I like it, and do believe it is aiding in detox. My mouth feels cleaner in the mornings when I wake up. That's good enough for me.
Yesterday I decided to try Sunflower oil, since I had it. It's actually pretty good, no taste at all.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 PM

[quote=CosmicWizard;27434565]=^..^= wrote: No insult intended but you're the type of alt med true believer who would claim anything they tried helped, made them feel better, was a worthwhile experience, cured them of [fill in blank], cured their friend's father's sister....

Quote:
There have indeed been some alt-med things that proved to be worthless for me, quite a few in fact, and I did spend some money that provided nothing in return. Nonetheless I'm still way ahead of the game financially when it comes to health related expenses. Other than my co-payment for cataract surgery a year ago, I've spent close to zero dollars on doctors and pharmaceuticals during the past 45 years.
Many of us can say the same thing. My biggest medical expense during my lifetime was Aspirin for the occasional tension headache. Keep in mind most people cause their own illnesses and then depend of pharmaceuticals to make them feel better. They don't eat healthy foods or exercise. I'm no health food and exercise freak, but sitting on the sofa or in front of a PC, obese and inactive, will make most people sick in one way or the other. Gout, heartburn, ... diabetes, heart disease....

Quote:
Based on what I observe about the health and the health related expenses of most people in my age bracket ( early 60s ), who have chosen to rely upon allopathic medicine and pharmaceutical drugs, I have many additional thousands of dollars in my bank account in comparison.
What were they all taking these pharm's for? Are they obese? Never exercise? Eat a lot of refined carbs? Do they love fatty salty foods?

Quote:
Not only have they spent thousands of extra dollars for so-called health care, oftentimes they are no better off after their expensive allopathic treatments and they are now addicted to pharmaceutical drugs, with an expense that continues month after month after month. And we wonder why health care is so expensive!
Don't blame the drugs. Put the blame where it belongs - on them!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Someone on here said Ayurvedic med said 4 minutes was enough, so that's what I have been doing with coconut oil. I like it, and do believe it is aiding in detox.
Your liver and kidneys do the detoxing of your body. If they didn't, you would quickly die. You don't, and can't, detox from the mouth.

Quote:
My mouth feels cleaner in the mornings when I wake up. That's good enough for me.
Yesterday I decided to try Sunflower oil, since I had it. It's actually pretty good, no taste at all.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:34 PM

=^..^=....I don't have a list of the items I was disappointed with, but one thing stands out like a sore thumb......Energy Wands. It was probably anoterh brand than the one in this link, but the basic principle is the same. Did absolutely nothing that I was able to perceive. I think I spent $99 for the darn piece of crap. What made it even harder to swallow was that the recommendation for it came from a Chiropractor friend who is getting fabulous results using it with some of his patients. Not all things work for all people! And even things that work one day for me, might not work at all on another day, then work fabulously well a few days later. I still have the energy wand laying around somewhere. Maybe I'll give it another try. And who knows, maybe it'll do something noticable this time around, about 3 years later.

One nice thing about my experience with oil pulling...it made my mouth feel really clean EVERY time!

Gotta agree 100% with your last line. It's their own fault, but nonetheless, they are addicted to the pharms at this point in their lives for a variety of ailments.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-22-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,560,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Your liver and kidneys do the detoxing of your body. If they didn't, you would quickly die. You don't, and can't, detox from the mouth.
Our bodies have many ways of clearing itself from toxins, we can support our bodies in eliminating these substances. Oil pulling may be one way of assisting our bodies in this endeavor.

Toxicity is of much greater concern in the twentieth century than ever before. There are many new and stronger chemicals, air and water pollution, radiation and nuclear power. We ingest new chemicals, use more drugs of all kinds, eat more sugar and refined foods, and daily abuse ourselves with various stimulants and sedatives. The incidence of many toxicity diseases has increased as well. Cancer and cardiovascular disease are two of the main ones. Arthritis, allergies, obesity, and many skin problems are others. In addition, a wide range of symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue, pains, coughs, gastrointestinal problems, and problems from immune weakness, can all be related to toxicity.

Of course, if our body is working well, with good immune and eliminative functions, we can handle our basic everyday exposure to toxins. The purpose of this section is to discuss ways to support the elimination of toxins, excessive mucus, congestion, and disease and to prevent, on a day-to-day basis, the buildup of toxicity. Through detoxification, we clear and filter toxins and wastes and allow our body to work on enhancing its basic functions.

Our body handles toxins by either neutralizing, transforming, or eliminating them. As examples, many of the antioxidant nutrients we have discussed so much may neutralize free-radical molecules. The liver helps transform many toxic substances into harmless agents, while the blood carries wastes to the kidneys; the liver also dumps wastes through the bile into the intestines, where much waste is eliminated. We also clear toxins through sweating, from exercise or heat. Our sinuses and skin may also be accessory elimination organs whereby excess mucus or toxins can be released, as with sinus congestion or skin rashes, respectively.
Detoxification Programs: General Detoxification and Cleansing

Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
There is nothing detoxifying about mixing oil with your own spit and swishing it around in your mouth for 4 minutes and then spitting it out. Nothing.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
=^..^=....I don't have a list of the items I was disappointed with, but one thing stands out like a sore thumb......Energy Wands. It was probably anoterh brand than the one in this link, but the basic principle is the same. Did absolutely nothing that I was able to perceive. I think I spent $99 for the darn piece of crap.
You were sold snake oil. As you can see those peddling alt meds are not exactly on the up and up either and are just as greedy as some Drs and big pharm. Of course you don't have to list them, but you should. The gullible need to know and be warned about the crap being sold on the alt med sites.

Quote:
What made it even harder to swallow was that the recommendation for it came from a Chiropractor friend who is getting fabulous results using it with some of his patients.
That sounds like a "testimonial" he gave you. Did you actually get to meet those people and see their medical records? If not, he BS'ed you. Unless you meet the people who got all those fabulous results, plus went over their medical records, don't believe a word you're told.

Quote:
Not all things work for all people! And even things that work one day for me, might not work at all on another day, then work fabulously well a few days later. I still have the energy wand laying around somewhere. Maybe I'll give it another try. And who knows, maybe it'll do something noticable this time around, about 3 years later.

One nice thing about my experience with oil pulling...it made my mouth feel really clean EVERY time!
I get the same effect using inexpensive toothpaste.

Quote:
Gotta agree 100% with your last line. It's their own fault, but nonetheless, they are addicted to the pharms at this point in their lives for a variety of ailments.
There are pharms people can't give up. There is no alt treatment for hypothyroidism for example. Nothing kills the pain of fibromyalgia but pain medication. What about birth control? Cancer treatments? A lot more of us would be dead if we depended on alt meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine