U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:53 PM

787 posts, read 1,795,642 times

Advertisements

The following link to wikipedia includes a chart with the average height by country (for males and females).

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The average height for BRAZIL:
Males: 5 ft. and 7 inches
Females: 5 ft. and 2.5 inches.
The data is from a survey in 08-09 (ages 18 yrs up).

By comparison, for the United States:
Males: 5 ft. and 9.5 inches;
Females: 5 ft. and 4 inches.
The data is from 2003 - 2006 (ages 20 yrs up).

Note: There is another Brazilian number on the chart for just 20 to 24 yr olds which pushes the Brazilian average to 5 ft. 8 inches (M) and 5 ft. 3.5 inches (F). Still less than the US average.

I thought Brazilians were at least as tall (or taller) than the average U.S. resident???

I know there is an indigenous population in Brazil but there has been so much immigration over the years and so much mixing I figured that the average would be higher.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM

16,110 posts, read 39,053,495 times
Not sure if those are right or not....but the obesity and evangelicals are quickly catching up to American levels though.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM

291 posts, read 695,784 times
Not sure about height...but sexiness they are the tops...no one beats them.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM

321 posts, read 893,451 times
All I know is that the Dutch are the tallest in the world.

As for Brazilians, I am pretty sure that the urban Brazilians are considerably taller than the tribal peoples in the Amazon. Unless you are spending all of your time in the jungle, I think you will find Brazilians to be of "normal" height.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM

13,856 posts, read 24,467,968 times
One thing you need to consider is that Brazil has a fairly sharp economic divide, sharper than the US. The economic "bottom 10%" in Brazil are sometimes very poor, even malnourished, and malnourished people are sometimes stunted in growth. Around 6% of Brazilian children are underweight, which is not too high for the Third World but is some.

Human Development Report 2009 - Children underweight for age (% under age 5)

On the class difference they're 55 on the Gini Index while the US is 40.8. Britain is 36.

Human Development Report 2009 - Gini index

Most Brazilians we see, I imagine this is true for tourists too, are not living in the slums or in a poor rural area. Middle-class and upper-class Brazilians might be about as tall as us.

Another, presumably minor, feature is that Brazil has the largest Japanese population in the Western Hemisphere. Japanese tend to be a bit shorter on average.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM

16,110 posts, read 39,053,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
One thing you need to consider is that Brazil has a fairly sharp economic divide, sharper than the US. The economic "bottom 10%" in Brazil are sometimes very poor, even malnourished, and malnourished people are sometimes stunted in growth. Around 6% of Brazilian children are underweight, which is not too high for the Third World but is some.

Human Development Report 2009 - Children underweight for age (% under age 5)

On the class difference they're 55 on the Gini Index while the US is 40.8. Britain is 36.

Human Development Report 2009 - Gini index

Most Brazilians we see, I imagine this is true for tourists too, are not living in the slums or in a poor rural area. Middle-class and upper-class Brazilians might be about as tall as us.

Another, presumably minor, feature is that Brazil has the largest Japanese population in the Western Hemisphere. Japanese tend to be a bit shorter on average.
Middle-class and upper-class are definety as tall as in the U.S.

I lived in Brazil for six months, and certainly wasn't aware of any facts about Brazilians being shorter - at least NOT in Sao Paulo or Rio de Jainero.

But perhaps up in the Amazon and Northeast...which is where it is the most poor, and more of indigeneous mix into the culture - indigeneous in general seem to be a bit shorter - i.e. think of Mexicans, Guatamalans, etc. who are also generally a bit shorter as well.

But the southern parts of Brazil, they are VERY european overall...plus in Bahia and such, the African-Brazilians certainly are not short either.

If the statistics do lean that way, perhaps the large Japanese population and definetely the large indigenous mix particularly in the northern regions. Poverty as well, I am sure has a lot to do with it.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:53 PM

139 posts, read 419,935 times
Most of the people I encountered in Northeast Brazil were relatively tall probably because a lot of them are the descendants of very tall Africans mixed with relatively tall Tupi-Guarani, Dutch and Portuguese. I didn't see too many really short people. Brazilians have such stunning physiques that it really doesn't matter. Even though the Northeast is considered poor a good number of the people were statesque and very well-built. I love to people watch in Brazil and while visiting a local mall and just watching the people I noticed them very attractive. Most of the shoppers were female and a good number of them were statesque with the stunning figures and beauty that Brazilian women tend to have. Looking at the citizens I could definitely see where Victoria Secret model Adriana Lima got her good looks from. The beautiful racial mix in the people was totally breathtaking.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:21 PM

831 posts, read 538,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
The following link to wikipedia includes a chart with the average height by country (for males and females).

Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The average height for BRAZIL:
Males: 5 ft. and 7 inches
Females: 5 ft. and 2.5 inches.
The data is from a survey in 08-09 (ages 18 yrs up).

By comparison, for the United States:
Males: 5 ft. and 9.5 inches;
Females: 5 ft. and 4 inches.
The data is from 2003 - 2006 (ages 20 yrs up).

Note: There is another Brazilian number on the chart for just 20 to 24 yr olds which pushes the Brazilian average to 5 ft. 8 inches (M) and 5 ft. 3.5 inches (F). Still less than the US average.

I thought Brazilians were at least as tall (or taller) than the average U.S. resident???

I know there is an indigenous population in Brazil but there has been so much immigration over the years and so much mixing I figured that the average would be higher.
These numbers are not correct Brazilians are tallers than that;

Males: 174,3 cm (5' 8.6'')
Females: 161.1 cm (5' 3.5'')

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estatu...more%20rows%20

Remember that whites brazilian are 80% of portuguese, italian and spanish ancestry 10% germans and 10% other whites europeans and middle easterner.
Whites US americans are mostly of german countries ancestry, who are little taller than Latin europeans (south europeans).

Old 04-05-2021, 07:53 AM

3,117 posts, read 5,307,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger beer View Post
not sure if those are right or not....but the obesity and evangelicals are quickly catching up to american levels though.
that's totally right!!!

Old 04-05-2021, 07:56 AM

3,117 posts, read 5,307,341 times
Here in the state of Ceará most people aren't that tall... People here are shorter than Brazil's average height.

By the way, I'm used to think in meters and centimeters, feet and inches hurt my brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas