Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,378 times

Advertisements

Question for any native Colombians or any visitors: a certain tour guide makes the following claim,

"Cali is MORE conservative than Bogota - residents of Cali go out to dance, NOT to meet new people. If your goal is to meet new people (in Cali) go to one of Chipichape's many tiny bars in the early evening, or the slopes of the Parque San Antonio on the weekends."

Any truth to this? I am contemplating a trip that will quite possibly take me through one of these two cities for a few days or more. One of the highlights of travel to me is meeting the locals.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Bogota is kind of like a New York City kind of place...just large and has everything. But, generally the rumors go that in Bogota, the people are 'very cold'...(however, when I lived in Sao Paulo Brazil, everyone said the same about the Paulistas, and I found the opposite to be true). You might find the opposite about Bogota as well - that the people aren't cold, they're warm.

CALI...ahmm...it's a very popular sex tourist place...because the women are some of the most well-known for their beauty...and sexuality as well. Population is more of a mix of black and white...giving it more of a Cuba or Brazil flavor...music is in their soul in that city. However, most people I know who've spent time in Cali say that it gets a bit dull during the weekdays. Yeah, you also pretty much have to be really into dancing as well.

(I spent 10 months in South America, unfortunately missed both of those two cities, but came pretty close to both of them...and heard a lot from many other fellow travelers who'd been to them).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'conservative' though (as that has meaning in the US, but I don't really know how that applies to places in South America though. Does it imply they are religious (if so, they are Catholic, yes)...if it implies they are machisimo - than yes, as a nation it would be classified as such.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Bogota is kind of like a New York City kind of place...just large and has everything. But, generally the rumors go that in Bogota, the people are 'very cold'...(however, when I lived in Sao Paulo Brazil, everyone said the same about the Paulistas, and I found the opposite to be true). You might find the opposite about Bogota as well - that the people aren't cold, they're warm.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'conservative' though (as that has meaning in the US, but I don't really know how that applies to places in South America though. Does it imply they are religious (if so, they are Catholic, yes)...if it implies they are machisimo - than yes, as a nation it would be classified as such.
Thanks....I am not sure what the book I was referring to meant exactly by conservative. I think you are right they mean something like "warmth" or "openess" to strangers. I've always heard Cali is a party city with great dancing and salsa clubs. That would seem to suggest a non-conservative, outgoing nature.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,062 times
Is not, I am from Cali, and Bogotá is a 100 times more conservative than Cali.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,349 times
[quote=Tiger Beer;
CALI...ahmm...it's a very popular sex tourist place...because the women are some of the most well-known for their beauty...and sexuality as well. Population is more of a mix of black and white...giving it more of a Cuba or Brazil flavor.

I don't think that's right,the majority of cali is mestizo(indian white mix) with some whites and blacks being there as well.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM

308 posts, read 500,128 times
[quote=adirondackguy123;16572593][quote=Tiger Beer;
CALI...ahmm...it's a very popular sex tourist place...because the women are some of the most well-known for their beauty...and sexuality as well. Population is more of a mix of black and white...giving it more of a Cuba or Brazil flavor.

I don't think that's right,the majority of cali is mestizo(indian white mix) with some whites and blacks being there as well.[/QUOTE]
Cali has a very large black population. There are also a lot of whites. And then there are also a lot of mulattoes and mestizos and triracial mixed peoples as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:22 PM

367 posts, read 940,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

CALI...ahmm...it's a very popular sex tourist place...because the women are some of the most well-known for their beauty...and sexuality as well. Population is more of a mix of black and white...giving it more of a Cuba or Brazil flavor...music is in their soul in that city. However, most people I know who've spent time in Cali say that it gets a bit dull during the weekdays. Yeah, you also pretty much have to be really into dancing as well.

(I spent 10 months in South America, unfortunately missed both of those two cities, but came pretty close to both of them...and heard a lot from many other fellow travelers who'd been to them).

Cali is not black and white, it's black and mestizo...Those mestizos wish they were white though. Whites are a tiny minority in Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas