Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather visit Brazil or Spain?
Brazil 10 50.00%
Spain 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are a gay couple in our 20s interested in visiting Spain or Brazil, for the first time, next year (2012) for gay pride festivals and sightseeing. Most of the festivals seem to take place between May-July and we would be interested in staying around 10 days (possibly more).

Priorities:

COST
Looking for a happy medium

NATURAL BEAUTY
Beaches, mountains, valleys..etc.

FOOD
Love to eat

BEST GAY SCENE/NIGHTLIFE
Most things to do, acceptance

MOBILITY
Ability to see and enjoy the most destinations in the shortest amount of time

If anyone could provide relevant information about places to visit (in either country), or experiences, that would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
So you want to go to a gaypride parade, and hoping to know which one will accept a gay couple? Both will. So no worries there.

They both also have good food, mountains, beaches, and valleys. So, you're set there as well. They both also have places you can sight-see as well. In short, they both meet your requirements.

Having lived in both Spain and Brazil, I chose Brazil. But, it's just personal preference alone why I chose it.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:22 PM

65 posts, read 352,052 times
I'd choose Spain, purely because I have never been there before.

I've been to Brazil and have family that lives there. It's a beautiful country with a lot to offer.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,748 times
I'm a gay guy and have been to Spain before. LOVE IT. Never been to Brazil but it certainly on my list of places to go. I don't think you can really go wrong with whatever you choose. Though, I imagine Spain might be slightly cheaper. We stayed in Barcelona at a gay owned hotel (Axel.) It was very nice and not too expensive. I imagine both cities have a similar vibe but Brazil does seem more 'exotic'.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Just thinking...as a couple, you'd have much less temptation in Spain.

Brazil is out of control fun on every level. In a great way! In not such a great way for two on a romantic vacation together though.

(I was in Brazil for six months, and Spain for six months).

Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM

597 posts, read 1,298,464 times
You and your "boy friend"??? Gay couple....Hmmm!!
Go to Spain.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So you want to go to a gaypride parade, and hoping to know which one will accept a gay couple? Both will. So no worries there.

They both also have good food, mountains, beaches, and valleys. So, you're set there as well. They both also have places you can sight-see as well. In short, they both meet your requirements.

Having lived in both Spain and Brazil, I chose Brazil. But, it's just personal preference alone why I chose it.
Can 2 guys in Ceara for example swap tongues with each other in public and not get cussed out or beat up by any of the locals ?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Can 2 guys in Ceara for example swap tongues with each other in public and not get cussed out or beat up by any of the locals ?
Never been to Ceara.

But, I've been to Rio de Jainero, and there are gays everywhere. The famous Rio Carnival, has gay parades and themes before the real Carnival starts. Pride parades and all that. Sounds like our OP couple is going to a pride parade as well.

I always got the impression that most Brazilians could really care less about gays. Spanish-speaking countries in Latin America are a bit more conservative. Brazilians, on the other hand, not a big deal.

No clue about Ceara though. But if the OP is going to pride parades, and there was one in Caera that they had in mind, I would assume it would probably be just as acceptable as the Rio ones.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Never been to Ceara.

But, I've been to Rio de Jainero, and there are gays everywhere. The famous Rio Carnival, has gay parades and themes before the real Carnival starts. Pride parades and all that. Sounds like our OP couple is going to a pride parade as well.

I always got the impression that most Brazilians could really care less about gays. Spanish-speaking countries in Latin America are a bit more conservative. Brazilians, on the other hand, not a big deal.

No clue about Ceara though. But if the OP is going to pride parades, and there was one in Caera that they had in mind, I would assume it would probably be just as acceptable as the Rio ones.

So all of Brazil is as equally liberal as Rio De Janeiro ? Even the Nordeste and it's Sertao region ?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM

415 posts, read 449,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesublime View Post
my boyfriend and i are a gay couple in our 20s interested in visiting spain or brazil, for the first time, next year (2012) for gay pride festivals and sightseeing. Most of the festivals seem to take place between may-july and we would be interested in staying around 10 days (possibly more).

priorities:

cost
looking for a happy medium

probably brazil. Lower income.

natural beauty
beaches, mountains, valleys..etc.

i was thinking going to madrid would be the best option, so no beaches etc.

food
love to eat

too much eating is bad. Food shouldn't matter.

best gay scene/nightlife
most things to do, acceptance

spain. Unless, of course, you want a humongous gay parade. That would be brazil.

mobility
ability to see and enjoy the most destinations in the shortest amount of time

spain.

if anyone could provide relevant information about places to visit (in either country), or experiences, that would be great! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
You and your "boy friend"??? Gay couple....Hmmm!!
Go to Spain.
Is there something you want to tell us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas