Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco Or Sao Paulo ? Which Is More Racially Diverse ?
Sao Paulo 24 57.14%
San Francisco 18 42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 AM

950 posts, read 1,515,264 times

Advertisements

18Montclair have you ever been to the favela of Capao Redondo in Sao Paulo ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Interesting! I would say both are very racially mixed as well as racially diverse.

*¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Jeez, these threads about race get old. Who cares. Please tell me why you care which city is more racially diverse.

maybe he enjoys the vitality that ethnically and culturally diverse regions bring.

I mean who is interested in Oslo?

Old 11-30-2013, 02:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
San Francisco is not even the most racially diverse in the Bay Area so I would cautiously say, Sao Paulo. Cautiously because I've not been there.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 PM

222 posts, read 579,031 times
Dude sao paulo is very mixed and plus it has the diversity as any American city so I say Sao Paulo too.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:20 AM

195 posts, read 441,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The haves and have nots would be even more blatantly obvious in Sao Paulo than it would in San Francisco.

Look at this pic of Sao Paulo for example.
How sweet

Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And almost 100% speak only Portuguese, they like the same music, eat the same food, have the exact same culture. SF is the opposite--everyone is different.

So Sao Paulo is a melting pot, but San Francisco is a salad bowl.
I lived in both Sao Paulo and I lived in San Francisco.

I didn't find San Francisco being a bunch of differnet people. Sure, to SOME extent. But, generally, you had gays, yuppies, and hippies that would shortly be leaving to the Pacific Northwest or going homeless.

The Asians, Mexicans, and Africans were in SF, but the power of the city lies in the hands of the yuppies and gays. As a person who also lived in Asia, for a long time, I was disappointed to live in SF, and see that Asians in SF seemed to be more on the margins of the city in any political sense. They were just the quiet minority ever present, but ever seemingly silent.

I think among the gay population, there was a lot of racial mixing. I noticed that generally Asians in SF were 3rd or 4th generation, and more Asian for the Asians when it came to dating. Some mixed, but generally they wanted to marry Asian. Actually I was involved with an Asian woman, and got tired of her friends and family telling her that she should be dating Asian as well.

Blacks were super marginalized unless they were gay or yuppie and fit into one of those two groups. But, generally they were living elsewhere in the Bay Area, usually Oakland. At least the AA men were into IR, but not so much the AA women. The Mexicans, seldom dated or married outside of Mexican.

Enough of San Francisco though. When I lived in Sao Paulo, everyone intermarried and dated with everyone else. It went back generations and generations. Additionally, you have one million plus Japanese in Sao Paulo, and a million plus Italians and on and on.

It sounds like you've never lived, and probably never even been to Brazil. However, you do seem to think SF is great, and it is by US standards, but it's no Sao Paulo however.

--------------------------
(JUST A NOTE ON THIS THREAD: Tiger BLOOD is the OP, I'm Tiger BEER. We're two different posters).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas