Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Latin American City
Mexico City 10 13.33%
Guadalajara 5 6.67%
Panama City 2 2.67%
Havana 2 2.67%
Bogota 6 8.00%
Cartagena 1 1.33%
Caracas 3 4.00%
Quito 1 1.33%
Lima 1 1.33%
Cuzco 1 1.33%
La Paz 1 1.33%
Rio de Janeiro 7 9.33%
Sao Paulo 11 14.67%
Buenos Aires 16 21.33%
Montevideo 3 4.00%
Santiago 2 2.67%
Other 3 4.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:58 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times

Advertisements

Well there is more international popping up here on City vs. City like Best European cities and Best city in Asia polls and they seem to be sticking (that's a good thing), perhaps as American cities are getting worn out on this forum. Here is a poll for the best Latin American city. Even if you haven’t been, which one intrigues you the most and would compel you to visit? What reasons; culture, food, language, people, topography and scenery etc.

Mexico City, Mexico

Guadalajara, Mexico

Panama City, Panama

Havana, Cuba

Bogotá, Columbia

Cartagena, Columbia

Caracas, Venezuela

Quito, Ecuador

Lima, Peru

Cuzco, Peru

La Paz, Bolivia

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Montevideo, Uruguay

Santiago, Chile

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-28-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM

285 posts, read 437,895 times
I would say that many times the best cities are not necesarily the capitals
of the countries, in this case for instance Brazil I would consider its best city to be Curitiba.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
I voted Sao Paulo. I have been to most of the cities on the list and this is by far the most multi-cultural city in Latin America. I have been living here since April and I have loved it! I do go back home in two days, so I will miss it!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:07 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,640 times
went with Buenos Aires...

Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,326 times
Tough choice for me. I have been to Quito, Buenos Aires, Santiago and San Juan (you should have put San Juan on the poll).

I voted Santiago. It's a beautiful city both through its urban landscape and natural beauty. It's clean, has a good nightlife, people are very friendly, organized. I like it because it kind of has the hustle and bustle of a city like Chicago, where it's got plenty of streetlife but it's not overbearing like it can get sometimes in NYC.

Buenos Aires was a close second. Architecture is absolutely beautiful, so European, beautiful people, and amazing nightlife! It just seemed a little too dirty, disorganized and sometimes it had that overbearing hustle and bustle that NYC has that sometimes can just be too much (but I think it has more to do with the really narrow sidewalks).

Quito is third. In terms of natural beauty, this one takes the cake. snowcapped mountains everywhere you look. The colonial part is absolutely beautiful and I can spend days exploring it. The problem is it doesn't have that cosmopolitan feel that Buenos Aires and Santiago have. This might be stupid but air quality for me was an issue there. I have been to Quito several times and it's just so easy to get out of breath. I remember one time there was pollution problems on one visit and it actually HURT to breathe.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 PM

36,654 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I voted Sao Paulo. I have been to most of the cities on the list and this is by far the most multi-cultural city in Latin America. I have been living here since April and I have loved it! I do go back home in two days, so I will miss it!
Sao Paulo is also my adopted hometown and I love it to death.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,342 times
Managua , nicaragua is pretty interesting

Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Quito is third. In terms of natural beauty, this one takes the cake. snowcapped mountains everywhere you look. The colonial part is absolutely beautiful and I can spend days exploring it. The problem is it doesn't have that cosmopolitan feel that Buenos Aires and Santiago have. This might be stupid but air quality for me was an issue there. I have been to Quito several times and it's just so easy to get out of breath. I remember one time there was pollution problems on one visit and it actually HURT to breathe.
I will concur that the landscape is great. I've only been to the Quito area for a couple days and our tour group mostly visited the Otovalo market and Centre of the world monument, but it looked great as we went through the city by bus, and the area around our hotel looked nice. I remember there were a lot of nice round-abouts with monuments in the middle and some valley with a cloud forest type environment right in the middle of the city. I didn't have any breathing problems, but I guess it's a valid concern.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

Hi, is much English spoken there? Are there many Spanish speakers or mostly portuguese?

How are the ladies there when it comes to dating?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:19 PM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Buenos Aires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas