Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,704 times

Advertisements

Malaysia and Singapore are pretty diverse (Malay, Chinese, Indian). Some countries in the Caribbean are pretty diverse and even have people of Asian descent. Peru is diverse (Incas, Europeans, and Asians).

Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Based on briefly reading about those countries diversity statistics before and some of the cities in all of those countries.

I still think Australia and New Zealand are a notch up in diversity compared to Brazil.

Also, I said Brazil still has some diversity and even plenty of diversity, just not quite "one of the most diverse countries in the world."
I don't find Australia diverse at all; its diversity, such as it is is almost all from Europe, with just a smattering (historically speaking) from Asia and the Pacific and none from Africa. Brazil is home to people from every continent, as is the USA (though not as mixed). As well, Australia has no history of extensive biological and cultural mixture like Brazil or other parts of Latin America or the USA.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't find Australia diverse at all; its diversity, such as it is is almost all from Europe, with just a smattering (historically speaking) from Asia and the Pacific and none from Africa. Brazil is home to people from every continent, as is the USA (though not as mixed). As well, Australia has no history of extensive biological and cultural mixture like Brazil or other parts of Latin America or the USA.

a smattering from Asia, is an understatement.

None from Africa? Not quite right, there has been a sharp increase in people from Sudan, Zimbabwe & Sth Africa (mostly)...

Plus a reasonable ME population (Lebanese, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc)

We're diverse.... Most of my friends/their families migrated here.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
These are the most diverse countries in the world and are all very diverse:

USA
Canada
England/UK
France
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand

I think Brazil would fall into this category instead:

Countries that are not the most diverse countries in the world but still have some diversity and probably plenty of diversity:

Germany
Brazil
Japan
China
Thailand
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Netherlands
South Korea
Switzerland
Brazil has an immense amount of immigrants. Tons of Koreans, Japanese, Italians, Russians, Lebanese, Ukranians, etc. There are more Japanese and Lebanese in Brazil, than there are in the U.S., for example.

South Korea has zero immigrants. You can't get citizenship there. You can't in Japan either. There are people working there on work visas, but they aren't emigrating to those countries. Same with China, as far as I know.

China, Japan, and Korea are some of the most homogeneous places on the planet.

Also, countries like Denmark, basically have a small muslim refugee population, probably around the 5%, and even those are highly controversial. They're electing right wing govts to try to get rid of those policies of taking in other people.

In other words, Brazil doesn't belong in that category at all...

It also depends on what people mean by diversity. I've been to Singapore, Australia, NZ, etc. Not many black or latino people. To me, true diversity would have all kinds of people coming from EVERY continent, not just only Asians (Singapore).

Brazil would have europeans, africans, asians, indigeneous, etc. Plus all kinds of recent immigrants as well from around the world. It's right up there with the United States category. Although the U.S. being economically powerful, would draw in a lot more than Brazil. But they have the same immigration nation draw/status.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Brazil has an immense amount of immigrants. Tons of Koreans, Japanese, Italians, Russians, Lebanese, Ukranians, etc. There are more Japanese and Lebanese in Brazil, than there are in the U.S., for example.

South Korea has zero immigrants. You can't get citizenship there. You can't in Japan either. There are people working there on work visas, but they aren't emigrating to those countries. Same with China, as far as I know.

Also, countries like Denmark, basically have a small muslim refugee population, probably around the 5%, and even those are highly controversial. They're electing right wing govts to try to get rid of those policies of taking in other people.

In other words, Brazil doesn't belong in that category at all...

It also depends on what people mean by diversity. I've been to Singapore, Australia, NZ, etc. Not many black or latino people. To me, true diversity would have all kinds of people coming from EVERY continent, not just only Asians (Singapore).

Brazil would have europeans, africans, asians, indigeneous, etc. Plus all kinds of recent immigrants as well from around the world. It's right up there with the United States category. Although the U.S. being economically powerful, would draw in a lot more than Brazil. But they have the same immigration nation draw/status.

Thank you! I am not saying places like Japan, South Korea, New Zealand and Australia are not diverse, but Brazil is much more. Also Brazil there is a lot of mixing. In Australia and New Zealand you do not see mixing.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

In China, 292 different languages are spoken on a daily basis by people using 28 different alphabets, not even counting immigrants or colonists who have brought their languages with them when moving to China. China ranks in the top ten in the world in number of people who are Buddhist, Muslim. Confucian, Taoist, and Christian. That doesn't sound very homogeneous to me.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-06-2011 at 11:54 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 PM

195 posts, read 250,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In China, 292 different languages are spoken on a daily basis by people using 28 different alphabets, not even counting immigrants or colonists who have brought their languages with them when moving to China. China ranks in the top ten in the world in number of people who are Buddhist, Muslim and Christian. That doesn't sound very homogeneous to me.
China is not racially diverse.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
China is not racially diverse.
Read the OP again. It said nothing about "racially diverse". It said "demographically speaking". Then it went to reference "influence that minorities" bring, such as "music, food, culture, lifestyle, etc." Just because to you "all Chinese look the same" doesn't mean they are not diverse.

Besides, "There is no such thing as race". You are politically incorrect, go and enroll in sensitivity training.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM

195 posts, read 250,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Read the OP again. It said nothing about "racially diverse". It said "demographically speaking". Then it went to reference "influence that minorities" bring, such as "music, food, culture, lifestyle, etc." Just because to you "all Chinese look the same" doesn't mean they are not diverse.

Besides, "There is no such thing as race". You are politically incorrect, go and enroll in sensitivity training.
Chinese all do look the same. I have never seen a Chinese person who has blond hair and blue eyes. I have never seen a Chinese person who's skincolor is dark as midnight.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 AM

53 posts, read 149,026 times
Racial != Demographics.

AND in the NEW WORLD of economic growth, it's not about race, it's about intelligence. Which-ever country has the most intelligent people that can bring their country up to world standards (1st) will win the game of wealth.

This is was SK and Japan has did, and what China is doing.

The policies the countries are putting in place maybe racist (this is another forum) but one can debate it all you want.

Those are just facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas