Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:57 AM

30 posts, read 84,747 times

Advertisements

WOW!!! What an adventure. Sure do like reading your posts. I'm looking at getting out of California, when I retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,339 times
I loved Ecuador. I was only there for two weeks in 1993, but really enjoyed it. Would love to go back there sometime.

Have you experienced the market at Otavalo?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
There are too many ugly Americans in foreign countries unfortunately. The rest of us have to pay the price. I was in Costa Rica a few years ago when I encountered a loud mouthed American and I mentioned to him, he was one of the reasons Americans have a bad reputation. I am an American looking to sell everything and find a warm,friendly,inexpensive place where I can adapt to there lifestyle, not change them to suit mine. So far my research on Costa Rica, Panama, and Ecuador are positive. What do you in cyber land think. T. R. From Polson, Mt.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 AM

974 posts, read 2,184,942 times
AA: Thanks for your post. Ecuador is one place my wife and I would like to live as part-time Expat's when we retire. We plan to visit in the next year or two to begin our due-diligence. I'm sorry to hear about your assault. Do you mind elaborating? Was this in a populated area or out in "the boonie's" while prospecting? Newbies like me would like to learn from others, hence my asking. It pays to develop a keen sense of "situational awareness" of one's surroundings, the people, how they look at you, the neighborhood signs, time-of-day, etc.

We were in Costa Rica waiting for a bus at a public bus stop in the middle of the afternoon and a local street-thug tried to intimidate me for money. I made eye-contact and told him, No dinero'...váyase o se llame a la policía! (No money, go away or I will call the Police!" He smirked and left mostly because I think someone else saw him and called the cops who happened to swing by on motorbikes looking around a couple minutes later.

There are places in the U.S. where I wouldn't dare drive through much less get out and walk around. I will say we had only that one incident in Costa Rica but everywhere else we felt relatively safe. I did keep my eyes and ears open however. Anyways, anything you could share about your unfortunate assault would be quite useful to newbies such as us (and others).

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's a person who lives abroad. For example, an American who lives in Ecuador.

We'd say he's an American EXPAT living in Ecuador.

Slang or abbreviation for Expatriate. One who has left (expatriated from) his home country for life in another, either permanently or temporarily (might one day repatriate or go home).

Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
as well as the Galapagos islands

I've made some "homework" and found it was very expensive to get to visit the Galapos islands. Which is all in all a good things, since it limits the throngs of tourists in an ecologically fragile environment...

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
as well as the Galapagos islands

I've made some "homework" and found it was very expensive to get to visit the Galapos islands. Which is all in all a good things, since it limits the throngs of tourists in an ecologically fragile environment...
It is very expensive for a non-Ecuadorians to visit the Galapagos Islands but it is much cheaper for Ecuadorian residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas