Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:53 AM

230 posts, read 902,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That makes sense, I should have thought of that.
Horny white dudes+no white women but plenty of black and indian chicks=mixed babies

This is the standard equation you should have learned at puberty

Old 11-19-2011, 08:09 AM

3,909 posts, read 6,717,378 times
Oh yeah, the colonization of Brazil was VERY different of the the colonization of the United States.

The United States was mostly a "colony of settlement", like the anthropologists say. The British colonizers came to the USA with their families, their wives, their kids.

Brazil was mostly a "colony of exploitation", like the anthropologists say. The Portuguese guys who came to Brazil were mostly young "adventurers", not married, no wife. The number of women that came from Portugal to Brazil during the colonial era was very small.

Since the very beginning, even before the arrival of the first African slaves, the Portuguese male colonizers had taken indigenous women as wives.

What can you expect? The indigenous peoples of Brazil didn't used clothes before the arrival of the Europeans. The combination of young male single Portuguese colonizers plus naked indigenous girls, could only led to... miscigenation!!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Are there some similar stats/data for each individual large city, or for each estados/state?

Very interesting! I've always been curious about individual Northeast and Northern cities, just because they seem to vary so significantly from each other.

I don't know about any statistics of mitochondrial DNA for each large city...

There are only statistics of self-declared race / color from the Census.

The variation from city to city in the North and Northeast is very clear. Salvador and Sao Luis, for example, have huge black population. Belem, in the state of Para, has a huge population with clear indigenous features. Here in Fortaleza, the population is mostly mixed of European and Native American.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:33 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I don't know about any statistics of mitochondrial DNA for each large city...

There are only statistics of self-declared race / color from the Census.

The variation from city to city in the North and Northeast is very clear. Salvador and Sao Luis, for example, have huge black population. Belem, in the state of Para, has a huge population with clear indigenous features. Here in Fortaleza, the population is mostly mixed of European and Native American.
I have heard that about Fortaleza. I've heard some people say that Fortaleze is unique, in that it reminds people of places like Central America, etc. - i.e. indigeneous & european mix. Mestizo.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,484,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Horny white dudes+no white women but plenty of black and indian chicks=mixed babies

This is the standard equation you should have learned at puberty
Uh thanks, but it was that I didn't know Brazil's European settlers were so male-dominant or about blacks entering the picture later than I thought.

I was thinking Brazil's population was more black-maternal descent with the indigenous being sparse or largely wiped out at an early point. And maybe I was thinking there were some European women and that the vast majority of them descend from later arrivals to Brazil rather than the original colonizers.

That Brazil was racially mixed is something I knew already. I had just thought white-indigenous mixing had been more limited for a variety of reasons. (Sparsity, indigenous people fleeing whites, indigenous people dying or being killed, etc)

Old 11-20-2011, 01:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,041,688 times
This information is really not that useful

One ancestry out of 64, 256 or like in my case probably one of 1024 doesn't really tell you much. My family has been in south America since the 1600's.

There were plenty of white women brought to America back then contrary to popular believe. This can be seen in ancestries records but you also had a lot of african slaves and amerindians mixing with white men.

Honestly who cares unless you are a white supremacist.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:50 PM

230 posts, read 902,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

One ancestry out of 64, 256 or like in my case probably one of 1024 doesn't really tell you much. My family has been in south America since the 1600's.

There were plenty of white women brought to America back then contrary to popular believe. This can be seen in ancestries records but you also had a lot of african slaves and amerindians mixing with white men.

It is true that women were brought, I believe, mostly by people who worked in the colonial administration. Probably the more elite you were the more likely you were to be able to afford to bring your wife, or to even worry about it. Of course the later 1800-1900 immigration included entire families.

On a side note regarding white supremacy I think it is funny that in the United States at least those I have found to be most likely to be white supremists are also those that are probably most likely to be mixed. These would be poorer rural Anglo white people. My ex roomate in college had a brother who was in the KKK (my roomate was not, and thought his brother was an idiot) even though they had tribal cards. My roomate was just as white as me. Tall blond but had Indian on both sides of his family. Both his parents were Anglo white looking too.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 PM

614 posts, read 3,200,850 times
I am surprised Native American mtdna is more frequent than African.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I am surprised Native American mtdna is more frequent than African.

I knew that many people would be surprised. Even many Brazilians would be surprised by that.

Not me. I always knew that.

There is MYTH (yes, this is a MYTH) that the indigenous peoples of Brazil were just "exterminated", and have "disapeared". That's NOT TRUE!

Yes, there was genocide in the colonial era. But some indigenous tribes were allies of the Portuguese, and actually helped the Portuguese to exterminate other tribes.

Besides genocide, there was also a lot os ASSIMILATION, of indigenous peoples. The jesuits had a role in this assimilation, with their "aldeamentos" and "missoes".

The fact that there are less than 1 million indigenous people today in Brazil who live in traditional comunities and keep the original indigenous language doesn't reflect the real influence of the indigenous element in the formation of the Brazilian people.

Brazil is much more Native American than many people think. The overwhelming majority of the Brazilian "whites" have at least 10% of indigenous DNA. And a very large portion of the general population have at least 35% or more of indigenous DNA.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

Your family is from Brazil? Or from other part of South America? In Spanish America there were many more women from Europe than in Portuguese America...

Of course some women from Europe came to Brazil too, but the number was very small.

During the first century of colonization, from 1500 to 1600, the number of European women was almost zero. The number increased in the coming centuries, and during the "gold rush" in Minas Gerais, in the 18th century, there was a big spike, because of the urbanization of the region, that attracted families from Portugal. But that influx was not enough to revert the fact that the Brazilian population was very mixed race already at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas