Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Please, sometimes it's obvious there is racism.

I will not name the US cities but I visited some large cities through work in the "deep south"(the places CaribNY thinks are soooo accepting) These cities have a high percentage of African Americans and I only saw 1 black person working in management. One. A lady that had black skin but that behaved whiter than white. So white that when she was buying her home many realtors thought she was white over the phone and then when they saw her in person some didn't show her the homes.

Some places have so much discrimination that if someone told me these stories I would not believe them. Yes the people where nice and polite but their actions spoke louder than their words.
I don't think Caribny ever said that the United States had such great race relations or that racism is over in the US but you do bring up an interesting point in regards to Black people trying to act White as those are complex racial issues that still exist in the United States. I think there are two main reasons as to why Black Americans do this. The first reason comes from Blacks who grew up in predominately White towns/areas with little to no Black population. Therefore they adopt the culture of the majority in the area they grew up in. Therefore they might be viewed by some as "acting White" when they're just really being themselves and not trying to put on an act. Though I've never been accused of "acting White" I can relate to being mistaken of my racial identity on job applications when they see my name which isn't a stereotypical Black American name like Leroy, Tyrone, or Raheem. Although my voice is very deep and masculine, people sometimes don't know what race I am when I'm talking over the phone, which is largely due to me growing up in South Philly. Even though my old neighborhood was racially diverse, there was strong Italian American influence when it came to the local accent of that area. It definitely had an effect on my accent as I don't have what some would call a "Negro dialect".

The other reason why Blacks might be viewed as "acting White" is because they are trying to make White people feel comfortable. Since America is still very segregated when it comes where people live and who they choose to associate with when they are not working, it hasn't gone away completely. You usually see this when there tends to be one or very few African Americans working at a job or being in a large social gathering where they are typically the only Black person present. Of course things have gotten better than it used to be in the past but it still does exist.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-22-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't think Caribny ever said that the United States had such great race relations or that racism is over in the US but you do bring up an interesting point in regards Black Women trying to act White as those are complex racial issues that still exist in the United States. I think there is two main reasons as to why Black Americans do this. The first reason comes from Blacks who grew up in predominately White towns/areas with little to no Black population. Therefore they adopt the culture of the majority in the area they grew up in. Therefore they might be viewed by some as "acting White" when they're just really being themselves and not trying to put on an act. Though I've never been accused of "acting White" I can relate to being mistaken of my racial identity on job applications when they see my name which isn't a stereotypical Black American name like Leroy, Tyrone, or Raheem. Although my voice is very deep and masculine, people sometimes don't know what race I am when I'm talking over the phone, which is largely due to me growing up in South Philly. Even though my old neighborhood was racially diverse, there was strong Italian American influence when it came to the local accent of that area. It definitely had an effect on my accent as don't have what some would call a "Negro dialect".

The other reason why Blacks might be viewed as "acting White" is because they are trying to make White people feel comfortable. Since America is still very segregated when it comes where people live and who they choose to associate with when they are not working, it hasn't gone away completely. You usually see this when there tends to be one or very few African Americans working at a job or being in a large social gathering where they are typically the only Black person present. Of course things have gotten better than it used to be in the past but it does still exist.
Well he said "Miami is the most racist city in the US" that was what I was referring to.

This woman was not faking it. That is the way she spoke, that was the way she was brought up, she discussed her upbringing. My cuban coworker from Miami was also in shock at the lack of black people in that workplace. It's like these people didn't even had the decency of hiring a regular black person with a normal black accent. We were not expecting ebonics, but at least what we were used to in Miami. Yes the people were extremely nice and sweet but it was obvious what was going on there. They were also very religious and couldn't even say the word "gay". They called it "the alternative lifestyle" LOL "We reshpect it but we don't accept it" or some crap like that they said. We also heard the same complaints from white transplants from FL and TX who felt discriminated just because they were not church people.

I am telling if I had not visited those places and someone posted this I would think they would be trolling. It's unbelievable.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cuba & Brazil - two of the most similar looking people?

If not, can you think of another group of people who would be more similar looking to Brazilians? Or more similar to Cubans?

Not at all, they are not similar.
Beginning with language, culture, music, Cubans don't play soccer, etc.
Brazil is far more heterogeneous, food is entirely different, etc.
People don't look alike either.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 AM

Quote:
You'll have to explain that one. Never heard that be said, and would be interesting to hear in what way.

Cuba is a place were slavery ended in 1886 and persisted well into the twenties of the past century. Large sugar manufacturars imported blacks from Jamaica during the 20's and 30's and locked them in barracks, they were out of Cuban Unions so received almost nothing. Peasants were and are of Canarian stock, fiercely racists, as racist as people in Alabama 60 years ago.

When communism came, 1959, according to Fidel Castro "racism disappeared from the island". White-only Clubs and societies were opened to blacks and mulattoes, and every effort was made (using USRR money) to educate and promote black using Soviet Method....all this happened during the first years of the revolution and it was a tremendous failure.

Communists were terribly deceived by blacks, not only they never believed in communism, but did not absorb the "learnings" (mostly propaganda) and most people that arrived to the university were white of "bourgeois" origin, So whites, that suffered the most at the beginning of the revolution entrenched in their positions and proclaimed, among themselves, that blacks were not to trust. During those times, 70, 80, 90, it was impossible to find blacks or mulattoes in any political or managerial position.

The only blacks in charge of a state company (all was state owned) were supposed to be a "token" and did not do any serious work, he only had to go to work 2 days during the week and get drunk and "fiestear" most of the time,

Cubans mimmicked American "tokenism" and placed blacks in strategical places they could show to foreign visitors, any talk about racism in Cuba is "enemy propaganda". So Cuba is just like Alabana because there are segregation non-written laws, segregated areas, segregated clubsm segregated cities sith sundown areas, etc...al out of the sight of tourists.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
OK wished you phrased it a bit better.

Reality is that the USA has an increasingly problem with income inequality, and poor Americans OF ALL RACES, bring with them legions of dysfunction. Indeed the poorest parts of KY some to have problems even deeper than the inner cities. There the problem is female headed household. Sadly in the poorest parts of KY its NO PARENT households with grandparents rescuing kids from drug or alcohol addicted parents.

This is the classic stuff of Union Members, trying to unite WT and Blacks. After all, their genesis is similar and are perhaps the oldest group in the US, apart from Indians.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Well he said "Miami is the most racist city in the US" that was what I was referring to.

This woman was not faking it. That is the way she spoke, that was the way she was brought up, she discussed her upbringing. My cuban coworker from Miami was also in shock at the lack of black people in that workplace. It's like these people didn't even had the decency of hiring a regular black person with a normal black accent. We were not expecting ebonics, but at least what we were used to in Miami. Yes the people were extremely nice and sweet but it was obvious what was going on there. They were also very religious and couldn't even say the word "gay". They called it "the alternative lifestyle" LOL "We reshpect it but we don't accept it" or some crap like that they said. We also heard the same complaints from white transplants from FL and TX who felt discriminated just because they were not church people.

I am telling if I had not visited those places and someone posted this I would think they would be trolling. It's unbelievable.

Sugah ray what is "acting white"? An African will appear on this forum and tell ALL of us that this what we do because I bet that none of us speak any African languages.

Miami is a city with a huge issue between blacks and Cubans. Even Cubans blacks claim that white Cubans are LESS likely to hire even a black Cuban than a white AMERICAN. Cuban whites, like other Latins, are in denial of their racism, and prefer to focus on US racism, when in 2014 they arent better and might even be WORSE!

This is why most Cuban black professionals refuse to live in Miami. Not only is there anecdotal evidence but the very data indicate that Cuban blacks are amongst the least educated black group in Miami.

I hardly think that this is indicative of the situtation with Cuban blacks, given that Cuba has the most educated people in the Caribbean (as measured by the % who move on to tertiary level education). Or even of Cuban American blacks as people who migrate tend to be more educated than those who leave.

What seems to be the case is that Cuban blacks, like other blacks professionals in Miami are LEAVING that city, some for Broward, and others to cities like Atlanta, because white Cubans control the town, and try to keep every thing in the hands of people like themselves, white Cubans. Only white Americans, they dont even begin to understand how wrong such behavior is.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Cuba is a place were slavery ended in 1886 and persisted well into the twenties of the past century. Large sugar manufacturars imported blacks from Jamaica during the 20's and 30's and locked them in barracks, they were out of Cuban Unions so received almost nothing. Peasants were and are of Canarian stock, fiercely racists, as racist as people in Alabama 60 years ago.

When communism came, 1959, according to Fidel Castro "racism disappeared from the island". White-only Clubs and societies were opened to blacks and mulattoes, and every effort was made (using USRR money) to educate and promote black using Soviet Method....all this happened during the first years of the revolution and it was a tremendous failure.

Communists were terribly deceived by blacks, not only they never believed in communism, but did not absorb the "learnings" (mostly propaganda) and most people that arrived to the university were white of "bourgeois" origin, So whites, that suffered the most at the beginning of the revolution entrenched in their positions and proclaimed, among themselves, that blacks were not to trust. During those times, 70, 80, 90, it was impossible to find blacks or mulattoes in any political or managerial position.

The only blacks in charge of a state company (all was state owned) were supposed to be a "token" and did not do any serious work, he only had to go to work 2 days during the week and get drunk and "fiestear" most of the time,

Cubans mimmicked American "tokenism" and placed blacks in strategical places they could show to foreign visitors, any talk about racism in Cuba is "enemy propaganda". So Cuba is just like Alabana because there are segregation non-written laws, segregated areas, segregated clubsm segregated cities sith sundown areas, etc...al out of the sight of tourists.

You can just as easily be talking about Miami, so why your focus only on Cuba. yes the Castro brothers are racists, but then the same applies to many of the elite section of the Cuban American community.

The reason why there is this sudden focus on blacks in Cuba is a vain attempt to attract sympathy for their cause. The problem is that the Cuban vs. black tensions in Miami are well documented, and there arent even significant numbers of visibly non white Cubans among the leaders of that community.

So it looks like one group of racists (Miami Cuban elites) are accusing another group in Havana of being racists, when there seems little difference between the two.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
You'll have to explain that one. Never heard that be said, and would be interesting to hear in what way.
Tiger Beer how do I say this in a nice way.... Miserere just thinks some groups of people don't like to work. He thinks they only like to get free stuff. Go ahead and puke while you read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post

Old 07-24-2014, 01:49 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't think Caribny ever said that the United States had such great race relations or that racism is over in the US but you do bring up an interesting point in regards to Black people trying to act White as those are complex racial issues that still exist in the United States. I think there are two main reasons as to why Black Americans do this. The first reason comes from Blacks who grew up in predominately White towns/areas with little to no Black population. Therefore they adopt the culture of the majority in the area they grew up in. Therefore they might be viewed by some as "acting White" when they're just really being themselves and not trying to put on an act. Though I've never been accused of "acting White" I can relate to being mistaken of my racial identity on job applications when they see my name which isn't a stereotypical Black American name like Leroy, Tyrone, or Raheem. Although my voice is very deep and masculine, people sometimes don't know what race I am when I'm talking over the phone, which is largely due to me growing up in South Philly. Even though my old neighborhood was racially diverse, there was strong Italian American influence when it came to the local accent of that area. It definitely had an effect on my accent as I don't have what some would call a "Negro dialect".

The other reason why Blacks might be viewed as "acting White" is because they are trying to make White people feel comfortable. Since America is still very segregated when it comes where people live and who they choose to associate with when they are not working, it hasn't gone away completely. You usually see this when there tends to be one or very few African Americans working at a job or being in a large social gathering where they are typically the only Black person present. Of course things have gotten better than it used to be in the past but it still does exist.
The whole idea of acting white and acting black are such narrow oversimplified divisive tropes of illusion. It just creates stereotypes & divisions. How do you act a color? LOL & SMH

Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
People assume that there is racism when blacks have less employment than whites.

Could it be that racism has been removed, and that some blacks have not taken advantage of the opportunities. available to them
Technically anyone & anyone of any race or background can be racist! Black people can be racist too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas